Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 727 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,092 reviews
on September 7, 2015
Seinfeld revolved around a stand-up comedian constantly sabotaged by the catastrophic social faux pas of himself and the people inextricably involved in his life, intercut with performance sets by the actual comic. So is Louie. But where Seinfeld was purportedly "a show about nothing," Louie is a show in which from moment to moment, you can safely expect nothing. Not only does Louis C.K. straddle the gaps in social protocol and everyday confrontations we all understand, but also the extremes of comedy and tragedy. It's a gallows comedy, in which we can find ourselves laughing in elation at the both wry and surreal absurdity of one moment, then clenching our chair arms in both tension and incredulity at moments of agonizing pain and even at times a true sense of impending brutality.

There is no continuity from one episode to the next, or even from one vignette to the next. Each episode is comprised of usually two scenarios book-ended by stand-up sets by Louie, which may or may not turn out to be part of one of the scenes. It's the direct inversion by an observant everyman's misanthrope of the TV sitcom. Whereas every sitcom we've ever seen has one essential soundstage, an ongoing play-like farce that runs before two cameras, all the same characters show up and everything not only works out but is just the same as before by the end, each week Louie will give a stream of consciousness an unsystematic narrative silhouette almost invariably a sequence of encounters with characters who enter and exit, yet very few ever return. Some actors and actresses return in different roles. Louie's mother is at one point played by an old woman as an appalling malignant narcissist and in another episode a humble, warm-hearted young working-class woman.

The show is written, directed and edited by its star, and he creates a visually realistic look and atmosphere for his small stories, captured quite cinematically. In the God episode, arguably the boldest, most powerful episode, he injects solemn amber tones, almost I dare say comparable to Gordon Willis' work on the Godfather films. There is a considerable proliferation of long takes in which two characters will share dialogue that sounds and feels no less real than that which we'll share with someone tomorrow. Sometimes, he's bold enough to prolong a single, stationary take in which nothing is being said on-camera, but all the action that affects the character in the shot is occurring off-camera, and in that very single take, we're carried seamlessly and steadily from deadpan absurdity to genuine terror. Then comes the cut: Life goes on; nothing's really that big of a deal. Simply put, each week, C.K. delivers one or two of the most powerful and memorable short films you may ever see.
VINE VOICEon May 31, 2015
Louie C.K. is a genius, there are no two ways about it. Years ago I watched what I think was his original HBO series (where he lived in an apartment with one young daughter), but this new series if far superior. (I don't get HBO on cable any more, so I'm watching these in Amazon Prime, which I love.) In this series Louie is divorced, shares custody of two daughters with his wife and much of the show takes place on stage during stand up.

But much of each episode is also a very sophisticated and interesting adult sitcom. It's obvious that his humor is completely autobiographical (whose isn't?), but he manages also to tie in universal themes: unrequited love, family stress, crappy career choices, etc. There are a few episodes in later seasons that are a bit on the gross side (and I've been a radio comedian for 25 years, I have a high tolerance for grossness--really high) and a few episodes actually hit me the wrong way with grossness, but this first season is quite gentle comparatively. Really funny and extremely inventive, but more gentle.

Louie is probably the funniest man alive right now and he writes and directs the episodes, so he's obviously very controlling and a perfectionist (gee, let's see...writes, directs, stars in...yeah, I guess that is controlling). I go to bed with Louie almost every night, and in terms of the dreams I have, it certainly beats going to sleep with the Sopranos, which I was doing for the past several months.
on December 30, 2015
Louie is great. He's carrying the torch, he is always funny and he's real. He's got the mind of a writer, so his bits have always got a back story to them. I guess that's the reason his show is so good. He's talking about his life and the world he lives in. The same world most of us live in. He's the best comic on the scene, that's a fact.

One thing, Lou--when you're doing your bit in the Cellar, do you always use the same 3 guys at the table sitting stage right? It's distracting. It's sloppy. If they aren't the same 3 guys, then they're awful close to the same. Put a woman or 2 there, or do something to really switch it up. Nitpicking? Maybe, but it's distracting.

You're the best in the business, Louie CK. But you've earned it. I remember 25 years ago, you doing a bit on Conan with Robert Smeagel (?), about how to communicate with your dog. Haha. You had all your hair still. Thanks, right?
on August 28, 2015
Some of Louie's comments on society are spot-on, and many of the situations and jokes are funny. However, there's an equal amount of gross and/or disturbing material--and coming from me, that's saying something. Also, as far as the "plot" (it is, after all, a TV series), some of the stories are interesting and thought-provoking, while others feel like filler. The whole project seems kind of random to me. I most likely won't watch any other seasons; it's just not my style, and I'd rather spend my time watching things I wholeheartedly enjoy. But Mr. C.K. has certainly done well for himself and has a huge following. Comedy is subjective, after all.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon May 29, 2016
I like this show. It's definitely not for everyone. You have to be able to find humor in social awkwardness to enjoy this. I find it hysterical so this show fits me perfectly.

It's a mix of stand up routines and short sketch bits. In the sketches, the other actors are often other stand up comics who have the same sense of humor as Louie CK. I assume they are all comics Louie knows personally from comedy clubs. So there is acting chemistry between everyone. This just makes everything flow better and be funnier.

It comes down to how much you like Louie CK. If you hate his stand up, you will probably hate this show. If you like his stand up, you'll like this show because it's the exact same style of humor you're used you from Louie CK.
on June 7, 2017
You Have To Love LOUIE. He Makes Life worth living. " WARNING " HE IS NOT PG!!!!
He should just wear a camera 8 hours a day and sell subscriptions because he doesn't have any new videos other than the 2017 Stand-up one and I need to laugh more
on July 4, 2016
Watching Louie C weekly may be fun. Watching regularly gets to be a bit too much.
I am in no way a prude, but episode after episode of vulgarity gets old. Quickly.
on June 23, 2016
A few good laughs, but otherwise pretty lame and also filled with a bunch of left-wing, depressing bias.
on May 31, 2015
I really wanted to like this show because I know that Louis CK is respected as a comic genius. But despite a few funny moments, I didn't care for it. It is too crude and gross for my taste. To each her own.
on June 17, 2016
This is probably some of the darkest comedy I've ever seen. I've heard some of Richard Pryor's stuff is dark, but I haven't seen it, so I can't compare. But what makes this eerie are the stand up scenes. Louie describes heartbreaking scenes and does so with a smile on his face. And people in the audience laugh hysterically. It's almost as if that's how Louie contrives his material; he comes up with things that make him want to cry and then he tries to make people laugh at it. It's kind of sick. And sometimes it sucks!