Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on November 22, 2016
An Incredible Biography of an Incredible Man
By Debra LaComette November 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Upon reading this book, which I really took my time, I felt completely immersed in the life of Louis.

Louis from early on seem to live on the edge.
He was fortunate in the aspect that he was able to discover at an early age, what his passion was and how it would develop into a lifelong career despite the many obstacles he faced.
His attitude and his approach to life and its variables was so incredibly positive.
That may have very well been 50% of his success.
He also had the uncanny ability to ward off anger, hate and pure racism which seemed to consistently be one step in front of him.

Louis also seemed to be unusually obsessed with his horn and his productivity with it. It makes one wonder, where did he get that drive? It appeared to be there day in and day out, he could not stop or rest till the 24 hour day was completed.

I felt the author spent much time and effort researching his text and also had the ability to remain objective in his relaying of the information.

I would highly recommend this book, not only if one is interested in the history of Jazz, but also to appreciate Louis Armstrong, not only as an incredible musical genius but as an extraordinary human being as well.
on April 20, 2014
Really enjoyed this one. I particularly like the balance found by the author between Louis' personal and musical lives, not easy to do but essential in understanding and telling the story of an artist. The author neither flinches nor judges, neither adores nor idolizes. In the end, I had the feeling of knowing this great musician and remarkable man. He lived a rely original and authentic life, and we (particularly we musicians) are much the richer for it.
on January 28, 2015
This is a well written and researched biography of Louis Armstrong, one of the founding fathers of american jazz. His colorful life and innovative playing style inspired and set the tone for generations of musicians. His influence on american music is unparalleled. He rose from a childhood of extreme poverty in New Orleans to become the american good will ambassador of music. I enjoyed the ride.
on November 28, 2014
A very good book that I highly recommend for the insights, quality of writing, and overall content. I would recommend this as a first book when approaching the life of Louis Armstrong.
on August 13, 2015
I loved it! It is a vary good bio. I've read others but this one was fun and easy, I would recommend it to anyone who like Louis.
on December 11, 2014
Not just about Armstrong, but - of course - the times. Well written. Has made me search YouTube for old recordings of Armstrong and the other early jazz greats.
on May 28, 2016
I enjoyed this well written bio of Satchmo !
on February 18, 2016
Louis Armstrong had an amazing life.
on August 6, 2013
great book. great story.

16 more words required by Amazon so here they are, now six more, now only three.
on August 27, 2015
Nice quality and great book