Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 88 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 94 reviews
on September 20, 2015
Excellent base for making Gumbo. This product used to be called Cajun Gumbo Mix, but seems to be the exact same thing. We love gumbo and use this base to start. This makes the rue that is the dark colored liquid that you add all of the ingredients to.

You add 2 quarts of COLD water or chicken stock and bring to a boil. I tried it once with tap water and the base powder would not blend in with the water. It was a mess. Just make sure your liquid is COLD when you add it.

The directions are short, to the point and easy to follow.

You can add just about anything to complement it including shrimp, fish, crab or chicken. You also can add Andule sausage which will add the Cajun spicy flavor. We usually add at least 2 pounds of shrimp. If the shrimp is uncooked, simmer for a few minutes but not more than 4 or 5 minutes. If it is already boiled, then add it last and do not simmer. This our favorite Cajun gumbo base mix.

We have other jars of rue in our pantry but always reach for Louisiana Fish Fry Product "Cajun Gumbo Base".
on December 16, 2014
This is a good product for making your gumbo with very little effort. I make it a little more homemade by sauteeing some fresh celery, onion and green pepper. I add a combination of chicken, sausage and shrimp, and serve over steamed rice with some chopped green onions on the side. I prefer this mix to the popular "roux" products available in jars because it has no fat, and they are just loaded with fat. You can therefore add whatever amount of fat suits you. To our taste, we get all the fat we need from the sausages and the sauteeing. I gave it only 4 stars, because I am still tweaking their spices for a little more heat. However, this is definitely our favorite gumbo product, and the results are tasty.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 16, 2017
This is the BEST gumbo base we have ever used and we have been using this gumbo mix for a few years. When we lived in Florida we could buy it at out local grocery store but now that we live in Alabama it is not available here so I order it on amazon. My husband is from Louisiana and this is his favorite mix to use in making the gumbo base. It is super easy to make up and we usually add chicken and sausage plus the rice at the end. We have made this many times for my family here in Alabama and they love it too. We highly recommend this for anyone who wants to make some great Cajun gumbo because it is not spicy but you could add your own spice if you want. And this mix is a lot easier than having to buy all the ingredients to make your own base. I am sharing some photos of us making our gumbo on this review!
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on September 7, 2016
Tasted fantastic - then I read the content label - 900mg of sodium per serving, and this package makes 13 servings! OMG - that's a huge amount of sodium! - I could easily eat 1/3 to one half of the package in one sitting! So.....read the label carefully.
on April 11, 2017
This is pretty good. I decided to get back into cooking and decided to surprise my wife with a pot of Gumbo for dinner. She really liked it. It was my first time making gumbo and I was a little nervous. It turned out well. My only complaint is that after following the instructions by the letter, it was more like soup. I expected it to be thicker. I didn't see where I went wrong especially since I used chicken broth instead of water.
on August 7, 2015
I must have gotten a stale package because this didn't come close. I make seafood gumbo at least once a month (it takes a long time when making from scratch) and I use the packaged base to save time, but I think from now on, I will make my own. I will not buy this again.
on April 18, 2017
So delicious! Easy to use. I just followed the instructions on the package and added crawfish, shrimp, and okra at the end. Two thumbs way up!!
review image
on March 26, 2017
I first found this gumbo base while visiting Boluxi Mississippi and really loved it. I live in Virginia and no one carries this locally so I searched Amazon and as I expected there is was. So glad that I can enjoy this delicious gumbo anytime I want now.
on June 17, 2017
Why make your own roux when you can get a reasonable facsimile from a pouch? I use this all the time and it behaves just like a roux. Try it once and you'll never want to make roux again!
on August 3, 2017
I like this though my wife prefers a flavoring I came up with using Cajun shrimp seasoning. This may yield a more authentic gumbo flavor however, and I'll use it again.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.