Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 11-20 of 207 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 327 reviews
on July 3, 2017
Great as always. Streisand never disappoints.
on October 1, 2009
When I first learned that Barbra was gonna record another cd earlier this year I got excited and then when I learned it was coming out in September and that it was gonna be Jazz I got even more excited! I got my deluxe copy today and I'm very happy with these cd's!!!! At first I just wanted the Quartet versions because Barbra has recorded with orchestra's many times and I just wanted to her in an intimate setting, well I do love the Johnny Mandel charts and disc 1 is great for a nice relaxing sunny afternoon.

Now disc 2 has a great supper club late night jazz feel, Barbra's vocals are more raw and you hear the subtle differences with the quartet that you don't hear on disc 1 and there are some slight differences in the vocals on disc 2. The recording\sound on these cd's are fantastic, I listened to both with my headphones on and you can really hear how certain elements where left on the recording. And Barbra's Voice is still in great shape! even with a little rasp here and there, it just adds some emotional depth especially on 'Smoke gets in your eyes'. Thank you Diana Krall for suggesting this idea to Barbra!
on October 25, 2009
Barbra Streisands "Love is the Answer" is yet another milestone in this divas brilliant career. This age appropriate work by "the actress who sings" is a meloncholy masterpiece in the vein of Frank Sinatras "in the Wee Small Hours" and Shirley Hornes "Heres to Life" albums (both songs represented beautifully here).The album evokes a mood of late night reflection that is consistant from beginning to end. Streisands voice, while changed from previous albums and a little "smokey" around the edges, still has the pure tone, perfect pitch and diction, brilliant phraising and amazing interperative skills that have kept her on top for almost five decades. This theamatic album works as a whole because of excellent song choice and arrangement, restrained production by Diana Krall and subtle yet powerful vocal work by Streisand. The deluxe edition features the same songs with no orchestration that may be essential to the hardcore fan but may not be nessesary for the casual listener. Do yourself a favor, purchace this disk, get a glass of wine, turn down the lights and turn up the quiet to an overwhelming emotional experience. Bravo!
on February 22, 2011
I surprise myself by giving any Barbra Streisand production any less than the maxiumum stars because I am a fan of many years, but I actually gave this slightly more stars than I thought I should because I don't think it's "great Barbra". Who IS great on this CD are Jeff Hamilton (drums), Tamir Hendelmen (piano), Diana Krall (piano), and the other accompanying musicians. What is also great is the selection of songs, all pleasurable classics. Barbra still sings and "performs" better than most other singers so she is still extraordinary and she can still hit the high notes and the soft notes. However, this CD, more than others I have heard in more recent years, does show the changes in that incomparable voice. That is not a criticism - voice changes are inevitable with age and use - but it should be said that her voice is a little "fuzzy" around the tune and sometimes the pitch is a little elusive; she seems to be getting more into that almost more spoken than sung voice that most veteran singers end up using. Still, she can belt it at times and croon it and whisper it, so - as said - she's still better than others, but this is Streisand changing and to my ears, which love her voice and her interpretation, it feels like a loss. While listening, I kept thinking: she should retire - and feeling guilty and sad for thinking it! I do greatly appreciate her choice of accompanying musicians though because they are outstanding. I saw the Jeff Hamilton Trio live in Charleston, Illinois recently - Jeff Hamilton, Tamir Hendelman and Christof Louty (I hope I am even close to their names and spellings - forgive if not - just look them up) and they were magnificent. All but the bass player were on this Streisand CD - and they are great. So this review will probably be considered heresy (it is even to me a little bit) but just as Suzanne Farrell eventually had to hang up her toe shoes, so too may Barbra be approaching a time when her voice won't do what she wants it to do - and we can all be grateful for the existence of it on recordings. Or maybe she can just change to a more bluesy, deeper, breathier voice and style where "fuzzy" will be ok.
on November 4, 2009
I received this 2 CD recording but due to a manufacturer error both CD's were disc two. I contacted Amazon by e-mail on Saturday evening. They sent me a return label; not only that but I had a new CD on Monday overnight at their expence. This is a fantastic recording. CD 1 is with full orchestra; CD 2 is piano bar type trio. I have one in the living room stereo and the trio version in the car. The songs on this CD are great arrangements and it is as if she has returned to the style of her early recordings only refined by digital technology. They sound great. Diana Krall was a great addition and the songs really grow on you. Barbra was right to have released this CD in both versions. This CD makes you really appreciate the everlasting talent of this great performer and I am looking forward to her autobiography. She is indeed "Timeless." It is as if she has been several different people in one through the decades. Thank you again for your great service Amazon.
on October 28, 2009
In the world of first class musical entertainment, I thought I'd just about heard it all. Out of the box comes a novel concept. A double album with one of the world's best singers, backed by a full orchestra of consummate musicians, playing lush arrangements from the finest in the business, singing a wonderful and not-too-hackneyed selection of songs. On the second disk, the same songs are repeated, this time backed by Diana Krall with her cool trio. This affords us a superb contrast of styles both musically and vocally. Diana Krall's piano playing is very much to the fore weaving so effortlessly in and out of these timeless melodies. My favourites are Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning and If you Go Away. All of Barbra's legion of fans will rush and get this as her performances are few and far between nowadays. Diana's fans will not be disappointed either. A musical marriage made in heaven. Do I sense a reprise?
on November 14, 2009
I think I have listened to every album, and watched just about every movie Barbra Streisand has ever made, and that takes some doing, the gal is prolific. I bought the CD as soon as I could and waited, to be swept away, or not. I simply waited.
When I listened to "Love is the Answer" the other evening, I was writing and had the CD on in the background. Before she'd finished the first phrase of the first song, I pushed myself away from my computer desk (my chair has wheels), closed my eyes and wallowed in the mastery of this woman in her sixties sing as flawlessly as she has ever done. Perhaps it was the collaboration with Diana Krall, I don't know, perhaps it was Barbra being simply Barbra, perhaps it was because I was listening to her at 2 o'clock in the morning, when all sorts of magical and mysterious things happen.
When the last song was sung and the music faded away, I breathed deeply and returned to my writing.
on July 3, 2014
That a 67 year old(sorry Barbra), could belt out these standards in a quartet is what I loved! The Deluxe Edition throws in the orchestral version which some would like better. The former was produced with the help of Dianna Krall, of our best jazz vocalists now. She kept Ms. Streisand to the note and her tone was perfect...if you like the music, you will love her voice singing these standards.
on October 26, 2009
This may be one of my favorite Streisand albums of all time. I've been a big fan of Barbra for years, and think of her as "the voice". What I love about Love is the Answer is that it isn't over produced and Barbra lets her mature voice, even with hints of smokiness at time, be totally "there" without a bunch of in studio wizardry. The purity of her voice and the emotion that she communicates in each song just blows me away - something so soft, yet something so powerful. I get the sense that she is conveying a lifetime of emotion and experience. I was listening to this CD last night with a couple of people who aren't diehard Barbra fans, but they both commented on how remarkable and moving this body of music is. I know there are some naysayers out there who think the album is too slow. I find it a welcome change of pace, and i love how intimate this music feels. Bravo Barbra. You're 68 and still the best!
on October 23, 2009
I've had the CD for over a week now and played it many times over. I like it, except for "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes." It is soft and mellow. Today, I read the one and two star reviews. The comments are "boring" and "expecting another album like her early days." Hello? I have been a fan since 1962 and know that La Streisand tailors her song selection to her current age. A 67 year old woman just can't sing "young hip love" songs. These songs are age appropriate and should be taken that way.

Her voice has matured. It remains crystal clear and a little smokey at times. Her phrasing is perfect as always. Don't expect more than what it is meant to be - casual love songs. If you happened to like "Simply Streisand" (which, I believe, remains one of her poorest selling albums because "she just sings"), you will understand.