Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

Love Focused: Living Life to the Fullest
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 26, 2010
What a great book that simply clears up the source for so much confusion, pain, and frustration in life. I really think Christians should read this book. I teach its principles so often when talking and counseling people at my church. I've suggested it and gave them out to many people who have come back and thanked me. The book is powerful, the truth in it will change your life. Praise God for giving the Hughes their experience and wisdom to write this book!
on December 17, 2012
This is an easy to read, straight forward book which has helped me recognize patterns in my life that get in the way of loving my family and friends. Excellent for Christian believers but even those who are not yet believers will benefit from the author's counsel.
on March 20, 2017
LOVED FOCUSED will Transform your inner thinking, renew and refresh your mind, heart and spirit. It's packed full of helpful lessons that we can apply to our lives immediately. Love this from page 79 .
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LAW AND GRACE

THE LAW PROHIBITS US FROM COMING TO GOD
GRACE INVITES US TO COME AS WE ARE

THE LAW COMDEMNS THE SINNER
GRACE REDEEMS HIM

THE LAW SAYS ‘DO THIS AND LIVE’
GRACE SAYS ‘IT IS DONE’

THE LAW SHUTS EVERY MOUTH BEFORE GOD
GRACE OPENS THE MOUTH IN PRAISE TO GOD

THE LAW CONDEMNS THE BEST MAN
GRACE SAVES THE WORST MAN

THE LAW SAYS ‘PAY UP WHAT YOU OWE’
GRACE SAYS ‘IT IS PAID’

THE LAW SAYS, ‘WAGES OF SIN ID DEATH
GRACE SAYS, ‘THE GIFT OF GOD IS ETERNAL LIFE.”

THE LAW SAYS ‘ THE SOUL THAT SINNETH, IT SHALL DIE
GRACE SAYS ‘BELIEVE AND LIVE’

THE LAW REVEALS MAN’S SIN

THE LAW PUTS US UNDER BONDAGE
GRACE SETS THE SOUL AT LIBERTY

THE LAW GENDERS FEAR
GRACE BRINGS PEACE AND CONFIDENCE

This illustrates the POWER of GRACE TO CHANGE LIVES. LIVES.
It shows the difference between MOTIVATION BY RULES and REGULATIONS or BY GRACE Page 179 LOVE FOCUSED
VINE VOICEon April 2, 2008
Husband and wife team Bob and Judy Hughes address the complexities and challenges faced by today's society. Christians and non-Christians alike become overwhelmed with their lives and relationships. "Love Focused" is more than another book on keys to successful living but a book that directs the reader to the one master key. Love. A love focused life.

Concepts learned from traditional psychology influence our behavior patterns as well as a goal-driven motivation to succeed. A change in these goals must be made if we are to experience love focused living.

The authors label this dilemma the unseen struggle and trace our emotional needs and pain to living in a fallen world. They go on to point out God's provision for man's need. Part Two of the book deals with identifying the problems we face and goes on to discuss things like your personal agenda, instinctive solutions, control, and dealing with issues of anger.

Part three gives the reader a look at God's solution and the power to love. These chapters deal with the benefits of acknowledging that God is adequate to produce positive benefits in our lives, to recognize that we do not have to be in control, and the barriers to make the choice of faith. Part four deals with personal application and discusses legalism, grace, forgiveness, perfectionism, and provides a model for becoming love focused.

The Hughes writing is powerful, refreshing, and practical, infused with insight for change, ultimate transformation and fullness of joy. The book is formatted attractively. Concise summary statements, bulleted lists, and paragraph headers all add to the ease in reading and assimilating the information, for, study, review and application.

"Love Focused" is highly recommended by Christian leaders from all walks of life and is dedicated to help the reader live life to the fullest. This is an important user's manual for everyone seeking to trust God more deeply and to move forward in their personal spiritual journey. A great read.
on February 15, 2017
This book instantly became one of my FAVORITES! It's so practical and relatable and puts the entire Christian life into perspective and our trust of God. God doesn't promise to give us our wants but promises to supply our needs and when we get that twisted, we start playing God and stop trusting Him. That, and the fact that we often try to self-protect and live in fear based on our past life events were EYE OPENING in this book. Just when you think you've heard enough and are starting to get it, the author, Bob Hughes will drop ANOTHER golden nugget to consider and ponder on!! I STRONGLY recommend this book to EVERYONE! It will change your life perspective on trusting God and how you view your life and self!!
on September 3, 2011
This book is the most practical guide to living out Christianity, and people of all levels can benefit from reading it.

The centrality of Christ's message is to have faith in Him, to love God and love your neighbors as yourself. Although this message is easily comprehensible, and I am a collegiately trained Christian Philosopher, the practicality of living it out was never something I truly grasped. This book takes the concept of living out ones faith in God by teaching the reader to continually recognize that God's love and grace are enough in every moment of everyday life- and this, my friends, is a life altering realization.

It begins by teaching that due to the fall, we are living in a world that has left us both needy and in pain. In light of that, although we may not recognize it, we live under the belief that God is not meeting our needs, so we therefore have personal agendas, called outcome focused goals, that we try to accomplish to fulfill ourselves. The indications of these goals include anxiety, depression, fear, and even anger, amongst many others.

I won't ruin the book for you, but let's put it this way... most "self-help" books attempt to change the reader by changing the external things or actions a person does, however, this book gets to the core issue that causes us problems in life- not placing our faith in God and teaches us how to practically do that. This is a natural cure for anxiety, fear, worry, anger, depression, perfectionism, and so many other ailments. So buy this book, and learn how to become free in the faith, and trust of a loving God.
on April 23, 2008
As I was reading Love Focused I felt, "This is good; this is meat for the spirit." A lot of books just take up shelf space, but here's a book of substance--it's an enjoyable read and the most practical Christian book I've read in a very long time.

Many Christians ask, "Why isn't my life more exciting? Why do I act so unlike Jesus? Why can't I get release from my worries and sins?"

Readers of this book will have what they need to start living out real Christianity: a God-centered approach based not on theory, but on reality. How did it happen that I made my Christianity so complex? Rules for this and options for that. Standards and laws. In contrast, Jesus was able to simplify the spiritual life to just two necessities: love God with all your heart, and love others as yourself.

How do we evaluate Christian maturity? Often it seems to be by outward measurements: church attendance, Bible knowledge, conforming to some list of dos and don'ts. But God looks at the inner person and evaluates by one criterion: is the person learning to live in love?

According to the authors, just trying to change our behavior, trying to act more loving, is not the ultimate answer. We may grit our teeth and do it (for a while), but let some stressful situation hit and we're more than likely to just lose it (and sometimes in a big way!).

If my (unconscious) attitude is that God is not really going to meet my needs, then my (unconscious) response is to try and meet them myself...with predictable results. I'll try to control people and situations (and be frustrated when they won't be controlled). I'll damage relationships and destroy the peace that God wants me to experience. I'll be self-centered and anxious. And I'll miss the good life God intended for me to enjoy.

The book does a wonderful job of contrasting a love focused life with its opposite (which they call "an outcome focused life"). When we, instead of trusting God to be in control, try to control situations ourselves, we'll end in living as people-pleasers, or with addictions, denial, busyness, perfectionism, or using any number of other self-protective strategies.

God, in His goodness, built a warning system into our lives. It tells us clearly when there's a spiritual problem we need to deal with. The warning lights are unrighteous anger, controlling fear, worry and impatience. The authors show us what each of these mean--and how God wants us to deal with them. It's powerful and liberating stuff!

The last 90 pages of the book are on the power of love--God's solution and how to apply it in our lives. This is down-to-earth and practical stuff! It's not legalism and it's not perfectionism--it's life with God as He meant it to be. This is definitely a book to buy!
on September 10, 2010
"A challenging, instructional read for the Christian that wants the freedom and simplicity."

Teaching basic life principles based entirely on two commandments of Jesus, love God and love your each other, Love Focused: Living Life to the Fullest by Bob and Judy Hughes gets to the meat of the matter by bringing into light many behaviors that reveal a disobedience to these two commandments.

The reader is first exposed to the question that many new believers (or believers who have not delved deeply into the mysteries of life) ask themselves. Is God enough? If He is enough (and He certainly is), why do most Christians act as though He isn't.

One can certainly read the experience of the author, a marriage and family therapist, in this work. It begins an examination of behaviors and discusses the cause, a lack of love for God and for each other. Close examination of self-centered behavior in light of God's instruction always frees us.

If you are ready to know the cause of failed marriages, estranged relationships, and general apathy or distance from a loving Creator, this is the book for you. As you read over the causes for these behaviors, you will find freedom. It is a simple as that.

For the hard truth contained in this book and for the benefit it provides the reader, I highly recommend it.

Disclaimer:
Review copy provided free of charge by Bob and Judy Hughes and donated to the library of Westwood Baptist Church.

Reviewed by: Keiki Hendrix
Reviewed for: Bob and Judy Hughes
on July 19, 2016
This is a FANTASTIC small group study. Our small group of 15 spent 12 weeks. We did 1 chapterm a week until the last 2 chapters which we did the last night.

This book opens up lots of conversation and everyone in our group constantly was involved.

This book will change your life, it will change the way you look at the world. Everything in your life will be better.
on August 12, 2008
I really need to recommend this book to you. It has totally changed my way of thinking and it is helping me to see real positive growth in my life. The concepts in this book go back many years to an article that the author, Bob Hughes, wrote. I had read the article probably 80 times. I had one in my car, one in my classroom, and another next to my bed. Honestly, I would put this book in a top 5 list of books that have helped me change the way I think in a very positive manner.

So, what is it about? It's about loving others well. I believe this book is a powerful tool in helping you carry out the greatest commandments which, of course, involve loving well (Matthew 22:37-40).

This book poses what I believe is the single greatest question every person must answer in their life: Is God enough? I know on the face of it this may not seem that ground-breaking or important, but, trust me, this is a profound point. As the author points out, most Christians believe that God loves them, but they do not act like God's love and grace are actually enough for them. This is a HUGE concept. If we truly believe that God's love and grace are sufficient for us, on a daily basis (or moment by moment basis) our actions will show it. We will live out our belief that GOD IS ENOUGH. Living out the "God is Enough" belief is such a stark contrast to simply believing "God loves me."

Intrigued? This book actually helps you understand these ideas and will give you the tools that will help you to live in a very love-focused and freeing way!

I strongly recommend that you get a copy of the book.