Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

on January 11, 2009
This is a great book to get lost into, just wondering about the lover's lives and loves. There are many letters that are just surprising and wonder what state of mind these people were in. I lent it to my mother and she hasn't given it back! Its a nice book to look in on when want to see some humanity.
on July 11, 2005
I like looking at old pictures and old letters, but I thought when I bought the book that I would actually be looking in the history of someone's life with pictures to go with it but that was not the case. It is just a random bunch of pictures and a random bunch of letters put together in a book. The pictures aren't necessarily the pictures of the people who wrote the letters, so you know nothing of the authors, no explanation of the times they lived in or the place they lived in or anything. In other words, no story behind it whatsoever. Just a disappointing collection.
on February 15, 2007
The beauty of this book, beyond the romantic nostalgia inspired by vintage photographs and handwritten letters, is that it is a collection created from discarded or "lost" memorabilia. The images and letters were once, we can reasonably believe, very important to the anonymous beholder before they were set adrift in estate sales, flea markets, and junk stores. The author performs a service of social research and cultural reclamation by taking these things in, preserving them, and creating an outlet for them to be rediscovered by other people. I highly recommend this book for anyone at all interested in being part of that process or anyone who is moved by the sentimentality of others.
on June 1, 2006
So I received this book as a gift, and so I can't hate it too much. I did not know that I could collect a bunch of nostalgia, throw it all in a messy anthology with some random pictures of old couples and make some money. Maybe I should try it. I wouldn't consider these 'love letters' per say, because most of them are just from ordinary people chronicling their mundane lives to someone who will listen. When you buy this book you turn into that someone.

Lesson is that nothing's changed over the years. There's no magic in this collection, just a bunch of hodge podge. Cute though. Some are a bit witty, some whiny, most just plain BORING. A sweet little novelty, nothing great.
on September 12, 2008
I love this book because it capture real emotions. These are not stories, these are letters written to a loved one. In our modern societies of "make believe" and communication this book is eternally fresh.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 15, 2005
Another beautiful contribution by this author. Love letters to make you weep, smile, laugh and imagine . . . or remember . . . how it feels to love and be loved.