Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 25, 2015
I can see why Gabriel Garcia Marquez won the Nobel Prize for literature. The book has a very unique style. It is more like painting a picture with words than telling a story in the usual sense. In a painting you can move your focus, look around and see different parts quickly, then maybe study some details. Similarly, the scenes in the book are not in chronological order. In fact, the first scene is actually near the end temporally (so don't worry that the next paragraph of this review is giving anything away, you will find these things near the beginning of the book). The author gives a glimpse of various points in time, and then fills in details as the book progresses. And, it is more than just a picture of these characters' lives, it is a picture of a time and a place. At the end of the book, you will feel like you have lived there.

For most of the book, I thought it was a tragedy not a love story. I disagree with many reviewers, it was not a book about unrequited love, because Florentino Ariza was never in love. Even though Florentino Ariza was successful in a worldly sense, I felt sorry for him. He never loved Fermina Daza, they were never much more than acquaintances. He wasted his entire life being in love with the idea of being in love, but never understanding what love is. Love is not a disease, it is not infatuation, it is not lust, it is not an extreme form of like. For most of his life, his love was about himself, even when he was proud to be suffering for it. Only at the very end did he realize that love is about the one being loved, it is something you do; love is a verb, not a state of being. Also, only at the end of the book did I really understand the title of the book.
28 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on October 31, 2017
A decade ago I sat in a lodge overlooking a river in the Venezuelan jungle. A large tree full of chattering parrots provided shelter while I read Love in the Time of Cholera for the first time. This book was on my fourteen year old grandson’s summer reading list!! He and the rest of our group was out climbing a mountain to reach one of the magnificent waterfalls in the area. Although Garcia Marquez is a Noble Prize for Literature, and this book is a masterpiece, anyone who has read this book will question how this book could have been included in a reading list for a teenager.

I reread this book as part of a Lifelong Learning course during which we read a large portion of the author’s work. Love in the Time of Cholera is the most enjoyable, readable, of his work. There is also a Good Film that follows the story very closely.

Basically, the story is about a Latino man who falls in love. The girl is very haughty, bad-tempered and Beautiful. At first she encourages his attentions, but then inexplicably shuts him out and marries a doctor from a rich, prominent family.. he lives his life, waiting for her husband to die.

Some readers may be shocked at the way the author includes detailed accounts of the man’s 57 years of sexual activity with a variety of women, including his young, 13, ward.
on June 13, 2017
This stunning work captures the feelings of love and tragedy all in one. Of course, the author is very famous for this and other works. Be ready for a dark road down a very interesting path as the years go by in the lives of the two main characters. There is a little funny business about his sexual exploits but I don't want to give away the special way he worded things. Gotta read it!
on July 7, 2000
I was so suprised by this book. A love story that is realistic because of the lover's imperfection. Love is not a stagent idea in this book. One sees both the pragmatism of rejected love and devotion to the idea of love. The characters are unpredictable and complex. The main love triange in the story is suported by the richness of supporting characters. The supporting characters take on short main story line roles. This book is about all the aspects and degree of love. Devotion,regection, love, lust, fidelity and infidelity are all mixed. The characters struggle with their relationship, which are fluid and unpredictable as life is. The only love story that is as realistic and challenges the reader as much is the Elornor Gehrigs My Luke and I. This is some of the best fiction that exist!
Florinto is in love with Fermina, and is rejected by her after their initial infatutation. Florintio will not give up he is waiting for Fermina husband to die to recindle the romance. Florintino is a man with need who while being faithful in spirit has affair after affair with other women as he waits. Fermina has to deal with a series of marital strife and bliss as Floritino waits out her marriage. Marquez gets to examine a great deal of love relationships in this book. It is excitingand changing as love and life. This is my first Marquez book but it will not be my last. The text is rich in details and may drag a little at times but preserver it is worththe read.
7 people found this helpful
on February 8, 2018
Super fast shipping, book came brand new and in great shape. This was on my list of books to read in my lifetime and I can say that I am not disappointed. The writing is fantastic and I see why Mr. Marquez won so many awards in his lifetime. I'm anxious to read more of his works after this one. The most amazing love story and perfect to get lost in with Valentine's Day so close :)
on February 2, 2015
I absolutely adore this book. I've always been heavy into Russian literature and was interested in reading something different - this book hit the spot. Marquez has a way of writing that entices you and makes you never want to put this book down. His romantic vocabulary as well as vivid writing style really grabbed me. I highly suggest this for any lovers of Nabokov.
on August 29, 2017
I read this in 1988, when it first came out, and liked it well enough, I think. But this time, I hated it. There are over 300 pages of violence against women; rape, adultery, selfish actions leading to the murder of the woman, and even sexual assault of a child, the protagonist's godchild! The remaining 48 pages are about his love for his teen-age lost love, but it's all based on lies! 622 affairs is not "saving himself" for his love!
The author is a nobel prize winner, but for his prose, I hope, not his plot, and not this book!
5 people found this helpful
on March 12, 2007
I'm not going to be one of those reviewers who puts down the 1-star reviews because they don't have a proper "understanding" of the novel. That response is a bit snobbish. I'll agree with some of the negative reviews with regard to their comments on the style of writing: It IS rambling, and frankly, at first this is off-putting. Many times before I reached the halfway point, I became frustrated by Marquez's tangential writing. For instance, he'd mention a side character and then go on for a page and a half describing trivial aspects of this characters life before getting back into the story. Yes, that made for strong character development, but I definitely understand how it could annoy readers.

All that said, I'm glad I had patience and finished the book. In the end, I realized that I liked it in totality more than I liked its parts. It's like taking a trip where there's one mishap after another but realizing at the end that you had a really good time. That's what this novel was like for me.

I will say that it was quite depressing, though. I know others have mentioned that this is a "hopeful" novel, and in ONE way I agree. However, in so many ways, it tells the true story about old age, in all its unfortunately sad detail. SPOILER: I found it sad that Florentino spent his entire life focused Fermina. In the end, it seems as if he wasted his life on a dream. I realize that they get together at the end, but when they do so, they are not the same people as they were during their teenage courtship. Fermina is certainly not the same person, so Florentino was pining for someone who essentially didn't exist anymore. I think this is Marquez's statement about how illusory the memory is.

All in all, this is a good novel, and I would recommend it.
12 people found this helpful
on May 6, 2017
This was highly recommended to me by someone whose opinion I valued. Completely different from anything I had read before. The book engages you in the lives of various characters and shows them persevering in a tough time. It took me a reading marathon, finished it after being buried in it almost a whole day.
One person found this helpful
on May 8, 2000