Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 378 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 952 reviews
on January 25, 2015
I can see why Gabriel Garcia Marquez won the Nobel Prize for literature. The book has a very unique style. It is more like painting a picture with words than telling a story in the usual sense. In a painting you can move your focus, look around and see different parts quickly, then maybe study some details. Similarly, the scenes in the book are not in chronological order. In fact, the first scene is actually near the end temporally (so don't worry that the next paragraph of this review is giving anything away, you will find these things near the beginning of the book). The author gives a glimpse of various points in time, and then fills in details as the book progresses. And, it is more than just a picture of these characters' lives, it is a picture of a time and a place. At the end of the book, you will feel like you have lived there.

For most of the book, I thought it was a tragedy not a love story. I disagree with many reviewers, it was not a book about unrequited love, because Florentino Ariza was never in love. Even though Florentino Ariza was successful in a worldly sense, I felt sorry for him. He never loved Fermina Daza, they were never much more than acquaintances. He wasted his entire life being in love with the idea of being in love, but never understanding what love is. Love is not a disease, it is not infatuation, it is not lust, it is not an extreme form of like. For most of his life, his love was about himself, even when he was proud to be suffering for it. Only at the very end did he realize that love is about the one being loved, it is something you do; love is a verb, not a state of being. Also, only at the end of the book did I really understand the title of the book.
on July 7, 2000
I was so suprised by this book. A love story that is realistic because of the lover's imperfection. Love is not a stagent idea in this book. One sees both the pragmatism of rejected love and devotion to the idea of love. The characters are unpredictable and complex. The main love triange in the story is suported by the richness of supporting characters. The supporting characters take on short main story line roles. This book is about all the aspects and degree of love. Devotion,regection, love, lust, fidelity and infidelity are all mixed. The characters struggle with their relationship, which are fluid and unpredictable as life is. The only love story that is as realistic and challenges the reader as much is the Elornor Gehrigs My Luke and I. This is some of the best fiction that exist!
Florinto is in love with Fermina, and is rejected by her after their initial infatutation. Florintio will not give up he is waiting for Fermina husband to die to recindle the romance. Florintino is a man with need who while being faithful in spirit has affair after affair with other women as he waits. Fermina has to deal with a series of marital strife and bliss as Floritino waits out her marriage. Marquez gets to examine a great deal of love relationships in this book. It is excitingand changing as love and life. This is my first Marquez book but it will not be my last. The text is rich in details and may drag a little at times but preserver it is worththe read.
on January 11, 2008
I absolutely loved this book. The amount of detail and description that the author uses just make my mouth water-I was lost within this book. The author is very well read himself to write such a beautiful portrait of life.

This is not exactly a love story, but a portrayal of life. Fermina and Florentino meet and then have a brief flirtation (their letters).Her father forces them to part (he takes her away), but this only makes them more determined to be together. When Fermina's father lets her go out on her own, then she sees Florentino face to face and realizes that their "love" was merely an infatuation.

She marries someone else (a rich doctor). The marriage is 50 + years. At the end of the marriage, she finally realizes that she did love her husband. At her husband's funeral, Florentino re-avows his love for her.

She is now free to love Florentino. She does not need a rich husband or to climb the social ladder. She is now in her 70's, but they still have to hide from society to enjoy their love without society's interference.

I am the author of-Dreams in August: Life, Love, and Cerebellar Ataxia
on May 6, 2017
This was highly recommended to me by someone whose opinion I valued. Completely different from anything I had read before. The book engages you in the lives of various characters and shows them persevering in a tough time. It took me a reading marathon, finished it after being buried in it almost a whole day.
on June 10, 2015
Gabriel Garcia Marquez has a style all his own, a style that is often magnetic. He often deals with common-place, but realistic details that are not at all common to other writers, but these details give his writing verisimilitude, as well as a bit of humor. In my opiinion, One Hundred Years of Solitude is still Marquez's masterpiece, but Love in the Time of Cholera is certainly worth reading.
on September 22, 2015
[Spoilers] I really can't decide whether to give this book three stars or four. So, instead I'll just say that the writing deserves five stars and the story deserves three. The writing is excellent. It was hard for me to appreciate the story as much. At moments it's funny and engaging and moving, but at times it's just kind of icky. I don't mean icky, in terms of sexual content, but icky in terms of the ethics of the characters. The story starts off great, but by the second half of the book I kind of just wanted Florentino to go to prison..... or die. If, after 54 years, Fermina had taken a long hard look at her choice to leave Florintino and then realized that she had made the right choice the first time around and Florentino had the good grace to kill himself (with cyanide), then I would have felt a lot better about the book. But the man is a rapist, and an egomaniac, and he gets the girl in the end, so ..... I finished the book feeling unsatisfied.
on January 21, 2017
I read this because it seemed like a book one should read: lots of acclaim, accomplished author, on lots of "Top" lists. I found it slow to start, moderately entertaining in the middle, and tedious to finish. It's not that I'm not a romantic, just that much. It had a "paid-by-the-word" feel to it.
on January 2, 2008
I have to hand it to the author for taking a unique perspective on love. Unfortunately, because I expected a "love story" I was disappointed that the book is more of a study of love and how various people deal with it. There is almost no dialogue in the book. Instead, the author chooses to focus on the internal world and feelings of the characters. While I don't mind the internal workings and psychology of love and how characters deal with it, I found it difficult to find those characters and their thoughts interesting enough to fill a book.

On the positive side, when the characters do interact, the interactions are captivating. The author is also quite elegant in his writing.

This is not my style of book, but if you are interested in a story of love versus a characters' love story you will surely enjoy Love in the Time of Cholera.
on June 27, 2015
So well written. First time reading about Columbia before (drug) cartels. No plot. Most effienct use of language to jump from one time to another without having to say, meanwhile, back at the ranch. Written in a tone that suggests children and women are supposed to be subjugated along with land and anyone not among the ruling class. But maybe that's the point.
on June 28, 2015
What I read is an English translation from Spanish. I have partially read the Spanish version and I feel that the translator did a superior job capturing Garcia Marquez's unmatched writing style. One Hundred Years of Solitude is another masterpiece by the same author.