Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 388 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 968 reviews
on June 13, 2017
This stunning work captures the feelings of love and tragedy all in one. Of course, the author is very famous for this and other works. Be ready for a dark road down a very interesting path as the years go by in the lives of the two main characters. There is a little funny business about his sexual exploits but I don't want to give away the special way he worded things. Gotta read it!
on May 6, 2017
This was highly recommended to me by someone whose opinion I valued. Completely different from anything I had read before. The book engages you in the lives of various characters and shows them persevering in a tough time. It took me a reading marathon, finished it after being buried in it almost a whole day.
on September 22, 2015
[Spoilers] I really can't decide whether to give this book three stars or four. So, instead I'll just say that the writing deserves five stars and the story deserves three. The writing is excellent. It was hard for me to appreciate the story as much. At moments it's funny and engaging and moving, but at times it's just kind of icky. I don't mean icky, in terms of sexual content, but icky in terms of the ethics of the characters. The story starts off great, but by the second half of the book I kind of just wanted Florentino to go to prison..... or die. If, after 54 years, Fermina had taken a long hard look at her choice to leave Florintino and then realized that she had made the right choice the first time around and Florentino had the good grace to kill himself (with cyanide), then I would have felt a lot better about the book. But the man is a rapist, and an egomaniac, and he gets the girl in the end, so ..... I finished the book feeling unsatisfied.
on June 27, 2015
So well written. First time reading about Columbia before (drug) cartels. No plot. Most effienct use of language to jump from one time to another without having to say, meanwhile, back at the ranch. Written in a tone that suggests children and women are supposed to be subjugated along with land and anyone not among the ruling class. But maybe that's the point.
on June 28, 2015
What I read is an English translation from Spanish. I have partially read the Spanish version and I feel that the translator did a superior job capturing Garcia Marquez's unmatched writing style. One Hundred Years of Solitude is another masterpiece by the same author.
on October 24, 2015
My favorite book of Garcia Marquez. It's written as a straight narrative, no dialogue, yet holds one fascinated by the beauty of his writing. He has a very sly humor that I love. A work of genius.
on February 2, 2015
I absolutely adore this book. I've always been heavy into Russian literature and was interested in reading something different - this book hit the spot. Marquez has a way of writing that entices you and makes you never want to put this book down. His romantic vocabulary as well as vivid writing style really grabbed me. I highly suggest this for any lovers of Nabokov.
on May 8, 2000
I was so suprised by this book. A love story that is realistic because of the lover's imperfection. Love is not a stagent idea in this book. One sees both the pragmatism of rejected love and devotion to the idea of love. The characters are unpredictable and complex. The main love triange in the story is suported by the richness of supporting characters. The supporting characters take on short main story line roles. This book is about all the aspects and degree of love. Devotion,regection, love, lust, fidelity and infidelity are all mixed. The characters struggle with their relationship, which are fluid and unpredictable as life is. The only love story that is as realistic and challenges the reader as much is the Elornor Gehrigs My Luke and I. This is some of the best fiction that exist!
on March 12, 2007
I'm not going to be one of those reviewers who puts down the 1-star reviews because they don't have a proper "understanding" of the novel. That response is a bit snobbish. I'll agree with some of the negative reviews with regard to their comments on the style of writing: It IS rambling, and frankly, at first this is off-putting. Many times before I reached the halfway point, I became frustrated by Marquez's tangential writing. For instance, he'd mention a side character and then go on for a page and a half describing trivial aspects of this characters life before getting back into the story. Yes, that made for strong character development, but I definitely understand how it could annoy readers.

All that said, I'm glad I had patience and finished the book. In the end, I realized that I liked it in totality more than I liked its parts. It's like taking a trip where there's one mishap after another but realizing at the end that you had a really good time. That's what this novel was like for me.

I will say that it was quite depressing, though. I know others have mentioned that this is a "hopeful" novel, and in ONE way I agree. However, in so many ways, it tells the true story about old age, in all its unfortunately sad detail. SPOILER: I found it sad that Florentino spent his entire life focused Fermina. In the end, it seems as if he wasted his life on a dream. I realize that they get together at the end, but when they do so, they are not the same people as they were during their teenage courtship. Fermina is certainly not the same person, so Florentino was pining for someone who essentially didn't exist anymore. I think this is Marquez's statement about how illusory the memory is.

All in all, this is a good novel, and I would recommend it.
on January 12, 2017
What a powerful Love Story written by a man with such a command of the language it's astonishing and transformational. You find yourself in his world without question.