Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 385 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 962 reviews
on June 13, 2017
This stunning work captures the feelings of love and tragedy all in one. Of course, the author is very famous for this and other works. Be ready for a dark road down a very interesting path as the years go by in the lives of the two main characters. There is a little funny business about his sexual exploits but I don't want to give away the special way he worded things. Gotta read it!
on January 11, 2008
I absolutely loved this book. The amount of detail and description that the author uses just make my mouth water-I was lost within this book. The author is very well read himself to write such a beautiful portrait of life.

This is not exactly a love story, but a portrayal of life. Fermina and Florentino meet and then have a brief flirtation (their letters).Her father forces them to part (he takes her away), but this only makes them more determined to be together. When Fermina's father lets her go out on her own, then she sees Florentino face to face and realizes that their "love" was merely an infatuation.

She marries someone else (a rich doctor). The marriage is 50 + years. At the end of the marriage, she finally realizes that she did love her husband. At her husband's funeral, Florentino re-avows his love for her.

She is now free to love Florentino. She does not need a rich husband or to climb the social ladder. She is now in her 70's, but they still have to hide from society to enjoy their love without society's interference.

I am the author of-Dreams in August: Life, Love, and Cerebellar Ataxia
on May 6, 2017
This was highly recommended to me by someone whose opinion I valued. Completely different from anything I had read before. The book engages you in the lives of various characters and shows them persevering in a tough time. It took me a reading marathon, finished it after being buried in it almost a whole day.
on June 10, 2015
Gabriel Garcia Marquez has a style all his own, a style that is often magnetic. He often deals with common-place, but realistic details that are not at all common to other writers, but these details give his writing verisimilitude, as well as a bit of humor. In my opiinion, One Hundred Years of Solitude is still Marquez's masterpiece, but Love in the Time of Cholera is certainly worth reading.
on September 22, 2015
[Spoilers] I really can't decide whether to give this book three stars or four. So, instead I'll just say that the writing deserves five stars and the story deserves three. The writing is excellent. It was hard for me to appreciate the story as much. At moments it's funny and engaging and moving, but at times it's just kind of icky. I don't mean icky, in terms of sexual content, but icky in terms of the ethics of the characters. The story starts off great, but by the second half of the book I kind of just wanted Florentino to go to prison..... or die. If, after 54 years, Fermina had taken a long hard look at her choice to leave Florintino and then realized that she had made the right choice the first time around and Florentino had the good grace to kill himself (with cyanide), then I would have felt a lot better about the book. But the man is a rapist, and an egomaniac, and he gets the girl in the end, so ..... I finished the book feeling unsatisfied.
on January 21, 2017
I read this because it seemed like a book one should read: lots of acclaim, accomplished author, on lots of "Top" lists. I found it slow to start, moderately entertaining in the middle, and tedious to finish. It's not that I'm not a romantic, just that much. It had a "paid-by-the-word" feel to it.
on January 2, 2008
I have to hand it to the author for taking a unique perspective on love. Unfortunately, because I expected a "love story" I was disappointed that the book is more of a study of love and how various people deal with it. There is almost no dialogue in the book. Instead, the author chooses to focus on the internal world and feelings of the characters. While I don't mind the internal workings and psychology of love and how characters deal with it, I found it difficult to find those characters and their thoughts interesting enough to fill a book.

On the positive side, when the characters do interact, the interactions are captivating. The author is also quite elegant in his writing.

This is not my style of book, but if you are interested in a story of love versus a characters' love story you will surely enjoy Love in the Time of Cholera.
on June 27, 2015
So well written. First time reading about Columbia before (drug) cartels. No plot. Most effienct use of language to jump from one time to another without having to say, meanwhile, back at the ranch. Written in a tone that suggests children and women are supposed to be subjugated along with land and anyone not among the ruling class. But maybe that's the point.
on June 28, 2015
What I read is an English translation from Spanish. I have partially read the Spanish version and I feel that the translator did a superior job capturing Garcia Marquez's unmatched writing style. One Hundred Years of Solitude is another masterpiece by the same author.
on September 3, 2015
While not the easiest read, this book is certainly worth the effort. These wandering through the lives of characters set in a fictitious colonial South American village reveal Marquez' magical realism at tits best.