Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shawn Colvin All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on January 25, 2015
I can see why Gabriel Garcia Marquez won the Nobel Prize for literature. The book has a very unique style. It is more like painting a picture with words than telling a story in the usual sense. In a painting you can move your focus, look around and see different parts quickly, then maybe study some details. Similarly, the scenes in the book are not in chronological order. In fact, the first scene is actually near the end temporally (so don't worry that the next paragraph of this review is giving anything away, you will find these things near the beginning of the book). The author gives a glimpse of various points in time, and then fills in details as the book progresses. And, it is more than just a picture of these characters' lives, it is a picture of a time and a place. At the end of the book, you will feel like you have lived there.

For most of the book, I thought it was a tragedy not a love story. I disagree with many reviewers, it was not a book about unrequited love, because Florentino Ariza was never in love. Even though Florentino Ariza was successful in a worldly sense, I felt sorry for him. He never loved Fermina Daza, they were never much more than acquaintances. He wasted his entire life being in love with the idea of being in love, but never understanding what love is. Love is not a disease, it is not infatuation, it is not lust, it is not an extreme form of like. For most of his life, his love was about himself, even when he was proud to be suffering for it. Only at the very end did he realize that love is about the one being loved, it is something you do; love is a verb, not a state of being. Also, only at the end of the book did I really understand the title of the book.
11 comment| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 7, 2000
I was so suprised by this book. A love story that is realistic because of the lover's imperfection. Love is not a stagent idea in this book. One sees both the pragmatism of rejected love and devotion to the idea of love. The characters are unpredictable and complex. The main love triange in the story is suported by the richness of supporting characters. The supporting characters take on short main story line roles. This book is about all the aspects and degree of love. Devotion,regection, love, lust, fidelity and infidelity are all mixed. The characters struggle with their relationship, which are fluid and unpredictable as life is. The only love story that is as realistic and challenges the reader as much is the Elornor Gehrigs My Luke and I. This is some of the best fiction that exist!
Florinto is in love with Fermina, and is rejected by her after their initial infatutation. Florintio will not give up he is waiting for Fermina husband to die to recindle the romance. Florintino is a man with need who while being faithful in spirit has affair after affair with other women as he waits. Fermina has to deal with a series of marital strife and bliss as Floritino waits out her marriage. Marquez gets to examine a great deal of love relationships in this book. It is excitingand changing as love and life. This is my first Marquez book but it will not be my last. The text is rich in details and may drag a little at times but preserver it is worththe read.
on February 8, 2018
Super fast shipping, book came brand new and in great shape. This was on my list of books to read in my lifetime and I can say that I am not disappointed. The writing is fantastic and I see why Mr. Marquez won so many awards in his lifetime. I'm anxious to read more of his works after this one. The most amazing love story and perfect to get lost in with Valentine's Day so close :)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 2, 2008
I have to hand it to the author for taking a unique perspective on love. Unfortunately, because I expected a "love story" I was disappointed that the book is more of a study of love and how various people deal with it. There is almost no dialogue in the book. Instead, the author chooses to focus on the internal world and feelings of the characters. While I don't mind the internal workings and psychology of love and how characters deal with it, I found it difficult to find those characters and their thoughts interesting enough to fill a book.

On the positive side, when the characters do interact, the interactions are captivating. The author is also quite elegant in his writing.

This is not my style of book, but if you are interested in a story of love versus a characters' love story you will surely enjoy Love in the Time of Cholera.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 6, 2017
This was highly recommended to me by someone whose opinion I valued. Completely different from anything I had read before. The book engages you in the lives of various characters and shows them persevering in a tough time. It took me a reading marathon, finished it after being buried in it almost a whole day.
on May 8, 2000
on April 27, 2016
I like a deep and intellectual book as much as the next avid reader, but this book dragged so much during the first 1/4 that I had to force myself to continue. I don't think this book falls into the genre of magical realism, but it really felt like it at times (the crazy parrot story, for example, and the ambiguous visit to the home of Jeremiah's lover, in addition to the surreal descriptions of fauna, flora, clothing, etc.). During these opening chapters, it was very difficult to figure out who was the main character. I am sure this would have crystallized for me (as it did for other readers) had I been able to continue with the book. As it was, I discussed my lack of progress with a friend and learned that she felt the book dealt with some pedophilia themes. I decided to bail out.
This is great book and really deserves the tag of "classic" that is associated with it. Marquez creates memorable characters that are demand emotion from the readers as thier life unfolds. Florentino is the unliked the who at first emits nievity turned into annoyance turned into pathos and completed with acceptance. Flamina is portrayed in a delicate manner as loving woman and we come to like her even though she rejects the protagonist. Marquez jumps around these characters lives flawlessly and the book spans their whole life but does not overstay its welcome.
Marquez' imagery goes well with eternal love theme and the reader will finish this book feeling complete and content. For anyone who has viewed a loved one from the outside this book offers eventual hope although some might determine it depressing. Is it better to have loved and lost or to never have loved at all?
Bottom Line: success in a time of cholera!
VINE VOICEon May 12, 2001
with a beautiful tale of love in South America at the turn of the century. All three of its main characters are succinctly drawn, and the reader can feel the process of aging and the changing of feelings and expectations as we proceed through the seasons of life. Minor characters that surround the love triangle are colorful and woven with great care into the story. Marquez must have known great loves and sustaining loves in his life to have captured all of its flavors here. With a truly satisfying ending, and historical reality threaded throughout the human experience, this is a great book of the 20th century. Read it as soon as you can; it is a treasure.
on May 14, 2015
Great story !! Beautifully written. This book was worth every penny.
I will treasure it in my library, and pass it to my children and grand children.