Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12 Days of Deals Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis bourne Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

100%

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on October 31, 2010
Before reading this book I had no idea how much legal discrimination there was against gay people. Sure, I knew some didn't like them, but I didn't realize our present legal system does make them second class citizens. If I were gay I'd be on the streets protesting. In fact, after reading this book and hearing the stories of unfairness I think I'll go on the streets and protest. I did it in the South in the sixties because I felt the system was unfair to us. Now that I've been exposed to the disparities sexual monorities are subjected to in the land of the free, I say it is time once again to work on Civil Rights. I hope my brothers and sisters who stood up in the sixties for our rights will see that we straights must now stand up for gays just like white folks helped us achieve our rights.

Don't take my work for it. Read Dr. K's book and see if you don't get reminded of the way we were treated fifty years ago.
on February 11, 2013
Davina Kotulski is one smart, well-read, articulate champion of the LGBT movement for civil marriage equality. She's a clinical psychologist, public speaker, life coach and author of an earlier book: Why You Should give a Damn About Gay Marriage. Both of the author's books go into exhaustive detail about this issue, the movement to grant gays & lesbians what Kotulski says "...heterosexual married couples take for granted."
By presenting her case in almost lawyerly terms, citing actual legal precedents and case law, Kotulski makes marriage equality seem not a radical idea, but the mainstream idea, and denial of equal rights the radical notion, as indeed it is.
Kotulski itemizes the various historical, legal artifacts: Lawrence Vs, Texas; the 14th Amendment, the 1,138 benefits, rights and legal protections afforded married couples. She quotes various legal scholars and equal rights visionaries: MLK, Barack Obama, John Lewis. She quotes Theresa Stewart, city attorney of San Francisco and her statement on the prop 8 ruling. "A guarantee of equality that is subject to exceptions is no guarantee at all."
Kotulski continues following the circuitous path of civil marriage equality, citing some of its less predictable twists and turns, such as the Iowa case of Varnum Vs Brien, the unanimous court case that established marriage equality in the nation's heartland. All in all, the perfect guidebook for anyone wishing to know more about the issue that is near and dear to the LGBT community.
And that may be the book's only flaw. Davina Kotulski is well aware of the pitfalls and potential futility of writing such a book. Those who oppose civil marriage equality for whatever reason will not read it. This is a book for those who have a desire for equality, those who also work for the recognition civil marriage grants. But for them--for us--it is indeed a wonderful guide, filled with examples and scripts that fill in whatever gaps in one's knowledge may exist. If your interest lies with civil marriage equality, read this book. On a final note, it was gratifying to see the book's need of alterations. Tammy Baldwin is now a U.S. Senator, and Dan Choi is no longer the face of Don't Ask; Don't Tell because that ridiculous law is in the ash bin of history.
Byron Edgington author of The Sky Behind Me, a Memoir of Flying and Life. Sky Behind Me A Memoir of Flying and Life