Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 7, 2014
I absolutely love this bag. You get a lot more for what you paid for. Honestly the pictures on the manufacture website doesn't reveal on all the little extras that you get. There are a lot of more additions that surprised me as I was unzipping and checking out every little detail.

I had a Quantaray bag and it was really too big and bulky to my tastes. I wanted something more compact and nimbler to carry around without it being a hassle. Plus I wanted a sling rather than a bookbag feel.

LOWEPRO FOR LIFE!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
32 people found this helpful
on July 2, 2013
I'm writing this review because I couldn't find any precise information about the size of the bag relative to the side pocket. My scope is restricted to that aspect and nothing else, as I haven't yet had time to use it enough to form a complete opinion about it as a whole.

Before ordering this bag, I wasn't sure if my Nikon D600 would fit in the bottom compartment accessible by the side pocket. The camera is 4.4" high, whereas Lowepro's website lists the bag's internal depth at 3.9" and I couldn't tell exactly which model the Canon camera in the video was.

Luckily the D600 fits fine, even with a Joby quick-release plate attached to the bottom of the camera, and without any bulge on the outside of the bag either. The side pocket is also wide enough to pull the camera out without much trouble, though it's clear that it would be a bit smoother with a narrower APS-C body. I have it in there with a 50mm f/1/8 lens (hood attached), and there is enough room left in the bottom compartment for the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 lens (hood inverted), another lens of equal size (not a huge wide-angle zoom or anything like that), and perhaps a battery charger. Of course you can fit a decent amount of other stuff (flash units, filters, batteries, etc.) in the other pockets too, but I'm just talking about the main compartment excluding the top portion.

The bag should also fit a Canon 6D, which is nearly same height and width as the D600. I think that a Canon 5D Mark III or Nikon D800 would also fit in the bag quite easily, but trying to smoothly pull either of those cameras out of the side pocket (the main distinguishing feature of this bag, in my opinion) would probably be an exercise in frustration unless you have rather small hands.
13 people found this helpful
on May 17, 2016
I'm using a Canon 5D3 with a Tamron 150-600 zoom and wasn't sure it would fit. It's a tight fit, but it does fit even assembled. The rain shield worked great schlepping around Manhattan in the rain for a day. The back got wet, but that can't be helped. I was even able to carry my 24-105 lens as well. The right clip-on strap (what's the proper name?) worked well to keep he bag in position on my back. The extra pockets carry extra batteries, rain sleeve, etc. Build quality is very good; zippers all work great.
on August 10, 2016
Love this bag. Looks great, and seriously holds all of my gear. I have bumped it pretty hard, but it seems to protect everything inside pretty well.

I keep my:
d750
Nikon 18-35G
Nikon 70-300 VR
Nikon 50mm 1.4D
and
Nikon 85mm 1.8G

In it, as well as 2 filters in their cases, a self made cleaning kit, and wired trigger release. Doesn't look bulky with that in it.

Don't try to hike with this thing on. It hangs too funny for that and will cause back pain.
One person found this helpful
on February 6, 2014
I bought this bag because I needed something a little smaller for a trip to South Africa. I have a Tamrac Evolution 8 which is an awesome bag that holds all my gear, but the problem is, when fully loaded, it's HEAVY. I wanted something lighter because I knew I would be wearing it all day. I'm only planning to take two lenses and a flash, and this bag fits everything perfectly. My big lens is a monster, (17-300mm Nikkor) and with the camera body measures 8" long, and there was still room for my battery charger - fitting it width-wise into the bag, (accessible from the side pocket). Not sure about the strap, etc for a tripod, by monopod is pretty long, even when collapsed, so I'm not sure that will work well, but everything else is great, and I'm very pleased with the quality/workmanship.

I'll be taking this bag on my trip next month so I'll let you know later how it worked out.

**Update** Back from my trip!

I just upgraded my original review to 5 stars from 4 stars because I was so pleased with how this bag performed.

I wore this bag on my back everyday for 3 weeks, and I must say, it became a part of me. I was the only one on the trip taking pictures, so I knew everyone was counting on me to document everything, (I took 2500+ pics!), and this bag made it easy for me to make sure I always had my camera along. I can't think of a single negative thing to say. The fabric held up well, the zippers functioned without a hitch, it protected my equipment from damage, and I always had everything at my fingertips. I especially love the ability to swing the bag around and access my camera quickly through the side compartment.

If you're looking for a small bag for quick trips - BUY THIS ONE. Planning to take it the UK and Scotland in a few weeks - more great shooting opportunities.!
on February 28, 2014
So while looking for a small-medium bag I came across the Vanguard up Rise II series (34/43) and the LowePro Transit Sling 250AW. Both where about the same size and had the side compartment and could hold additional lenses and a flash. The price was around the same as well. What sold me on the Lowe Pro was the fact that it could hold a 10" tablet and a tripod.

Choosing a camera bag is like choosing a pair of shoes. You’ll try quite a few on before you find one that fits and you like. I have researched many bags before choosing the Transit Sling. I made the mistake of purchasing a Kata bumblebee ul 222 which is the nicest camera bag I have ever seen, but it’s the size of a baby elephant. While this is great for taking everything you own to a big shoot or on a safari, it was way too big for day to day photography.

Now for the review.

The bag is well made and the straps and zippers appear very durable. It's comfortable and doesn't hurt my shoulders or chaff my neck. It has a cross strap, but I don't use those.

All the zippers (except the tablet compartment) have a string pull which looks like they can be replaced. The main strap is padded and has the breathable mesh. It is adjustable and has place to clip accessories on. It also has a clip that connects to cross strap. The strap itself feels durable but I can't tell if it’s double sewn. On the top of the bag is a handle, but it looks somewhat flimsy. I guess it could support the weight of the bag when full.

The back of the bag is padded very nicely and is breathable. The right side has the strap for the tripod. You have to pull the foot out from behind a flap to use the tripod holder.

The left side has the quick access section. It can fit my canon 70d with an 18-55 lens with the straps. No way a battery grip or a quick release plate will fit. Getting a 70d out is not the easiest thing to do. But if you have small fingers it will be a breeze. Me personally, I feel that the opening could be 1/2" larger all around.

The front of the bag has a small compartment with a curved zipper opening. Useful for small, flat nit knacks. The compartment could be more useful if the opening was larger.

You open the main zipper to access the main compartment. It’s broken down into a top compartment and a camera compartment. The flap has a small zippered compartment that can fit keys, change, etc. It's too small for a wallet, but id and credit cards could fit. The top compartment is roomy and can hold personal items or camera accessories. If you wanted to, a 70-200mm lens could fit in here, but not much else. This compartment also has an elastic mesh pocket to hold things as well.

The camera section holds your camera with lens. 1-2 extra lenses, a flash and other accessories. I'm going to be honest...with an 18-55mm lens on, this section can only hold 1 more lens and 1 small flash. To be able to hold a flash, you have to remove two dividers. But I could just as easily put the flash in the top compartment. You can also convert the main compartment to hold a camera with a 70-200mm lens by folding the divider with the red flap down and putting the divider with the cutout beneath. In this configuration, the body rests in the top compartment with the lens protruding into the lower compartment. To fold this flap down you have to remove the divider with the cutout first, then put it back when the divider with the red flap is folded down. It's also a lot easier to remove the other dividers. You can fit the body with a 70-200mm lens and 1 flash (or 2 lenses.). It fits with a ring mount, but if you are using a lens hood, you will have to reverse it. And of course you do lose the quick access.

There is a zipper on the top left for the 10" tablet. The zipper opens in a curve so it cannot fit an iPad 3/4 with a case. Out of the case they can fit just fine. Lowepro should have made the zipper open up further on the top or on the side. This is really my only issue with the bag.

There is also a rain cover on the bottom of the bag to keep the bag and its contents dry during wet conditions.

All in all this is one of the best small/mid sling bags on the market. It's stylish, comfortable, configurable, and light and holds just what you did to take beautiful pictures.
One person found this helpful
on December 6, 2014
Many people have problems buying camera bags, and according to Dave Dugdale (search him on youtube) the most returned item on B&H is bags. So I was afraid that this bag won't meet my expectations, but it did! I am really impressed with this bag. The built quality is great, and it's not bulky with a lot of zippers like other camera bags. It's simple and compact. My only complaints are thta the the zippers don't of te front compartment don't go all the way, so you can't open it ll the way without bending it, and there is no pouch you can put a water bottle. Other than that, great camera bag that fits my 70D, 50mm 1.8, tokina 11-16, LED 160, cleaning tools, intervalometer, batteries and chargers, small table tripod, and a compact tripod on the side of the bag. I also the compartment for tripod to carry my glidecam.
on August 18, 2015
I have been using this bag for over a year now and it is still as good as new! This bag is great for caring all the camera items I need as well as extra pockets for anything else. The tablet pocket is a great addition to the versatility of this product. And I absolutely love the rain jacket that packs flawlessly into the bottom of the bag for storage. I just wish this smaller version also had two straps like it's larger counterpart instead of just the one across the chest. Otherwise, perfect for all my needs.

I carry:
1 DSLR Camera
1 point-and-shoot pocket camera
2 lenses
camera charger
batteries
wallets
1 tablet (or books instead)
and of course, snacks :)
on April 26, 2015
Love this bag! So versatile, and holds my mirrorless Sony A6000 with the kit lens, the 55-210mm lens, an adapter, and the 10-18mm lens, along with a slew of odd items. It has a rain cover that is adequate, and the camera can be grabbed from the side pocket in a moment. So glad I ordered this bag.
on September 12, 2015
I hadn't even got mine into service yet when I was at a shoot with a Canadian photographer who had the 150 AW, he thought it was a little small. I feel like a genius because it fits my kit perfectly. Fast access to camera, the perfect bag for the stealth street photog. Lowepro's attention to detail is relentless. When you think you've identified a weakness, you will always find out that you're wrong after you use it a while. They must wear these things out in testing.