Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Style: 160 AW DSLR|Color: Black|Change

Showing 1-10 of 374 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 420 reviews
on January 24, 2013
I looked and researched so many camera bags for my Nikon D5100 before finally choosing this one. I'm a newbie to SLR photography, so I haven't had a ton of experience with camera bags. I am female though, so I've had a ton of experience shopping for handbags. That sort of counts, right?

A BAG TO GROW INTO: At any rate, I wanted my first bag to be fairly "comprehensive." I wanted it to be big enough to fit my current gear (Nikon D5100 with the kit lens and Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX) AND future gear (Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash and Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens.) So I wanted a bag that would carry the camera, 3 lenses and a flash plus all the other accessories like spare batteries, etc.

POUCHES!!: There are two memory card pouches on the interior of the lid as well as a larger zippered compartment where you could store flat things like lens caps. There's also a front zippered pouch (bottom half) to stuff with other things like cleaning accessories, cables, etc. The front of this pouch will feel "poofy," because that's where the All Weather Cover is stored - access that from another zipper along the bottom edge of the pouch. There is another front zippered compartment (top half on the flap) that would be suitable for less bulky items. The pouches on each side are also made of a somewhat stretchier mesh material with some elastic banding along the top to keep things from falling out. The zippered compartment on the back is really more suitable for papers or anything thin. Overall most of these pouches don't really expand a whole lot, so don't really expect to be stuffing anything super bulky in them. The side pouches will hold bottles of water though.

ZIPPERS & TOP COVER: I also wanted a bag that was secured with zippers (YKK), so that nothing falls out. I especially like how the top is designed with the flaps that hang over the top edge as well - kind of like how the top of a shoe box fits over the bottom half. The design (along with the All Weather Cover) reduces the chances of water or debris entering the bag. There is also a plastic buckle that secures each half of the bag. Of course this does make it more time-consuming to get into the bag, but that was not a concern for me with this bag. ***I do wish the top cover opened the opposite way - away from the body instead of toward. That would make it slightly easier to access the interior while wearing the bag, although you can just wear it with the front facing towards you.

QUALITY: The bag is sturdy nylon with strong stitching. Its not double-stitched all around but at the key points of weakness (top handle, side clips for the shoulder strap, etc.) The padding seems adequate. The interior divider padding is about 1/4" thick and the exterior padding is about 1/2" thick. The interior is also lined in a light grey that makes it easier to find things within the bag. The Velcro has a strong "stick" and there's enough of it for greater flexibility in configuring it. I wanted a quality bag, and I'm not disappointed. ***I do wish that the bottom of the bag had the water-proof EVA base like the Case Logic SLR bags have for extra protection.

COMFORT & CONVENIENCE: The bag is fairly boxy and bulky. This is definitely not a small bag, and I thought it might be a bit uncomfortable to wear, but its actually pretty comfortable even when loaded due to the nice wide strap (1.5") and shoulder pad with the non-slip backing. The shoulder strap extends up to 55" which gives about a 27.5" shoulder drop which is pretty substantial. If you prefer the top handle, its thick and cushy with a comfortably soft fabric on the underside. There's also a flap on the backside of the bag for sliding onto extended luggage handles for easier transport. Sweet!

OVERALL: I really love this bag. Its got a few features that might not make it super-easily accessible, but I wanted more of a "tanky and secure" nylon bag which could carry most of my gear comfortably. I didn't really buy this bag for "out-on-the-town-and-shooting" - I bought the Lowepro Passport Sling Camera Bag-Mica for that. This bag though is great for when you want to bring more of your arsenal with you and keep said arsenal protected. I do really wish it had the EVA-clad base and the top flap opening away from the wearer, but we can always hope for the future. Sorry for the mini-novel, but I hope this helps some prospective buyer out there.
on October 13, 2016
I have looked at A LOT of camera bags to find what I wanted. I needed something light weight and not to big to carry in the bad lands of North Dakota in heat and snow. It had to be water proof and just big enough for my DSLR with a 55-250 lens attached plus 1 bigger or 2 smaller lenses. I also needed to carry a water bottle, some crackers, and maybe a small tri pod. After reading the reviews I decided to give this Lowepro 170 AW a try. This bag has every thing I wanted. It is well built and padded with good zippers. The rain cover fits nice and snug. It should keep everything dry. There is plenty of room and I can arrange things any way that I need for the day. I like the sliding shoulder pad and the adjustable length of the strap. I can carry it over my shoulder or I can use it as a cross body if the going gets rough. The bag has lots of pockets for extra batteries, cards, water bottles on the sides, a phone, and keys. I have used it on a couple of short day trips and I'm very happy with the bag so far.
review image review image
on January 28, 2009
New to SLR digital photography. I am an obsessive researcher when buying big items and ended up getting a Nikon D90 with the kit lens(18-105VR). Did the same with camera bags. I'm not as crazy as some about the "sling" bag by Lowepro. I found this at Best Buy then later ordered it on Amazon.
For the money I love this bag!
1)It seems extremely well made. I can not imagine dust or anything getting to my precious camera when it is in this bag.
2)It closes with a zipper and then a flap and then even has a bag for rain that covers the whole thing if needed. It comes from a hidden zipped pocket in the outside bottom of the bag.
3)Very versatile with the pads & velcro to design the inside any way you want. (I had extra pads and put them in the pocket under the lid which helps protect the camera screen even more when the bag is closed.)
4)Has a strong handle on top to carry or a an excellent over the shoulder adjustable strap that is easy to put on the bag but difficult to get off -which is good. You are not going to drop your bag due to the strap coming loose.
5) The bag is just the right size. I would not get the smaller one. This one has some growing room. Could fit another zoom or two, maybe a flash.
6) PLENTY of pockets, everywhere for memory cards (2 specifically padded for the cards)or whatever.
7) I even like the color.
My D90 with the lens hood on fits lens down into it perfectly with pads on each side and room on both sides for more. I believe it would work with the 70-300mm and the 18-200VR lens (on the camera).
I read a lot of reviews and looked at a lot of bags online. It was when I got the bag ,put the camera in and really looked it that I realized how great it is. There were no reviews yet but I could not be happier with this choice.
Hope this helps my fellow obsessive researchers make a decision.
22 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2017
The quality of this bag is why it gets 5 stars, it is built like a tank. I bought this not as an end all be all bag but for a specific trip this summer where I need to pack light. I'm using this with a GH4 with two lenses and for this it will work fine although it is a little smaller than I expected. No two people pack exactly the same thing so it's a little difficult to map out ahead of time. I plan on bringing two prime lenses, a flash, and a Rode Video Micro inside the main compartment with the camera. With no mic you could easily fit a zoom instead of a prime. For accessories I have an extra battery, the charger, memory cards, lens and body caps, and a cleaning kit. That has basically filled the entire bag to max capacity. I'm still moving the dividers and playing with arrangements to get the best fit so this may change. On the outside I managed to fit a Surui travel tripod into a water bottle holder and still have the other side open, you could even put a lens in one end for quick access while shooting. Overall I am very happy with them bag but would hazard a guess that most dslr shooters would need more space. The 180 appears to be better suited for a dedicated consumer. I added one picture of my tripod installed, the interior has already been pretty well covered by others.
on October 28, 2008
This bag fits the Canon Rebel Xsi perfectly. I wanted a bag that was small enough to be truly portable and not look like I'm a photography nut. The bag snugly fits the camera with the the 18-200 lens attached and my kit lens (18-55mm) and my 50mm lens in the bag. I also store my SD cards, battery, charger, and some cables. That is it! If you want a bag that stores more then 3 lenses (one being attached) and the camera - then you have to go bigger.If you are like me and a minimilist who just wants a case that will carry the very basics - and is on the small side- this is the bag!
on August 17, 2017
I have a Canon 7D Mark ii with a Canon 24-105 L lens attached and a Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens for my main gear. This bag fits them perfectly with just enough room to add my flash and also a small lens (50mm) if I want to. I almost got the 170 aw, but am glad I didn't because I don't think it would have fit my gear. It may have fit, but would have been a very tight fit and definitely wouldn't have fit my flash. It's a little bulky crossbody, but that's expected with the gear I carry, the size of the bag works. I'm female, 5'3" and this bag is perfect for me. There's extra pockets that I added my filters, extra batteries, and memory cards with a little more room to spare. The padded handle is fantastic and comfortable for carrying the weight and the over the shoulder strap is sturdy. This is definitely my new go to bag.
review image
Having just gotten one of the new Finepix S1 bridge cameras, which are well sealed and can be used in the rain, I wanted a bag of the proper size that could also be used in the rain. The Lowepro Nova 140 AW was my choice, and I could not have picked a better bag. The size is right and the protection using the provided rain cover is excellent, especially since the compartment where the camera is can be opened when the cover is on the case.

With the rain cover off, you have easy access to several compartments: a large zipped pocket on the front of the bag, a zipped pocket near the top of the bag large enough for filters, SD cards, and an open top mesh compartment on either side. With the rain cover on, the pockets on the outside of the bag are covered, however, inside the case's zippered top is a small compartment where you can carry SD cards, and the large interior space where the camera goes. Dividers come with the case and can be positioned to create a storage space for batteries and similar large objects if all the space is not needed for the camera.

The rain cover is tucked into the flap of the front compartment and reached by opening a velcro strip just under that flap. There is an orange label showing rain and sun below that flap and the velcro strip is just above it. I had trouble finding the rain cover and had to ask Lowepro where it was. I later suggested that Lowepro might want to include instructions on the location of the rain cover but the customer service rep said, with a smile, that keeping it hidden was his job security.

The rain cover is cleverly designed. You pull it out of its hiding place and pull part up the front to the main zipper and the rest over the bottom, up the back, and down the main flap to the main zipper. It is easily put on, but my recommendation is that if it looks like it might rain that you put it on before leaving home. You can't just pull it out and get it in place in seconds. It is a tight fit so it takes a few minutes. Too much time to be standing in the rain when you put the cover on, if you can avoid it.

This is a very well made bag with good padding. And unlike most bags that come with a rain cover, you can use the bag with cover in place.
The first thing I did with this bag was remove all the compartments so I could arrange them to my likeing, which was a bit awkward because the panels were really stuck in there and would instantly latch back to the walls while I was prying on the other side of the panel. I considered that to be a good thing though and kind of assured me that they wouldn't easily come loose. Next, I put 6 lbs of led in it and bounced it around by the shoulder strap then the hand grip. It felt very solid so I'm sure it will handle the measley few lbs of camera and lenses I packed in it. Next I lined the bottom with 1/2" layer of foam (the kind you ship computer hard drives in). The bottom is firm and fairly padded, but I like the little extra protection the foam adds.
The bag, after my mods, held my Canon EOS Rebel XSi body & strap, 1 EF 70-300mm IS USM, 1 EF 75-300mm, 1 EF-S 18-55mm IS, and an EF 50mm Compact-Macro lense. There are plenty of small pouches inside with flaps to hold SD cards, the battery charger that came with the Rebel, lense wipes, and smaller flat items. You can probably get more stuff in the main body of the bag, but I like to have all of my lenses easily accessible, so I won't pile stuff on top of them.
Front and back outside compartments are zippered and the side pouches are open but are made from stretchy material with an elastic top band to keep stuff from falling out. The front pouch is fairly large, but still will only hold flatter items, maybe several lense filters or a Cokin setup and maybe a smaller charger. You may be able to stuff larger items in there, but they wouldn't be very well protected. The back compartment is large, but probably best for flatter items. I put my camera manual in it. It also has a flap over it so you can slide it onto an extendable luggage handle.
The shoulder strap is adjustable and very nice. Fully extended, it will go accross my body, i.e, rest on my right shoulder and allow the bag to hang on my left hip (I'm 5'11" tall). The strap latches are sturdy and the padding on the strap feels right, at least to me.
This bag has a zippered lid that can also be latched in the front with a squeeze buckle, which is kind of nice for when you're in and out of the bag a lot. The lid is flapped so it overhangs the zipped part. The front flap is larger and has another zippered compartment.
Overall, I am very pleased with this bag. I just thought it could have had a little more protective padding and a firmer bottom. I've never had a LowePro product, so I can't compare this bag to previous LowePro products, but this one seems to be very well made and for the price, it is pretty close to what I expected.
on May 7, 2017
I recently made the transition from SLR to micro 4 3rds and my old Tamrac bag swallowed up my new Olympus OM-D EM-10 Mark II. I am able to carry the charger, cable and two filter in addition to the camera, kit lens and the 40-150mm lens. The zipper and hood work well and do not get in the way of using the bag in the field. I would prefer not to have to store the mounted lens facing down, but this bag does not have the U shaped system my old Tamrac model 603 bag did. This system was called Lens-Bridge and I would like to find a new bag with this system.
on May 14, 2017
This is my third lowepro Nova and they are all in active service. I am using this particular model with my Panasonic Lumix GX8, three Panasonic lenses, a small flash, extra AA batteries, 2 extra camera batteries, various manuals lens shades and filters. Yet the LN170AW is compact, durable, easily accessible and weather resistant (with the attached raincoat deployed). The bag could be used with a medium sized DSLR and a couple of lens. Finally I've use these bags in all types of inclement weather in both urban and rural settings.