Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,214 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,353 reviews
on May 18, 2010
My review of the Lowepro 102 AW SlingShot
3333 comments| 833 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2015
I looked at many different camera bags and read many different reviews and ended up ordering the Slingshot 102 AW. It is a great buy and I highly recommend it.
PROS
- Sling bag - unlike a backpack, you can access your camera while keeping the bag on your shoulder
- With the additional strap, it is securely attached to your back and does not move when walking or cycling
- Very comfortable
- Light
- Weather proof with the cover
- Extra space at the top for glasses and/or a very small bottle of water
- Ability to carry a monopod/tripod
- Lots of pockets to hold a cleaning kit, extra battery, etc...

CONS
- The bag is not held straight on your back (at least for me - because of the sling, the bag is tilting sideway). It's ok unless you also carry a monopod/tripod, in which case you have to be careful not to hit someone with your monopod/tripod in narrow spaces like elevators
- There are 3 versions of the bag. I am keeping the 102 but ordered the 202 as well, because I want the side access to both my camera and my 70-300 VC lens. The 102 is a bit small to do this comfortably. If the 70-300 is on the camera, it will too long to fit
- The dividers have velcros but the positioning of the velcros limits your options in term of arranging the configuration of the bag. I would like to have the camera with the lens attached + the other lens to both be accessible from the side, while other elements like wide angle and flash can be accessed by opening the bag completely

None of these cons are real issues.

____________________________________________

UPDATE - Comparison of the 102 and the 202

I received the 202 this week. I own a 70-300 lens and I attached it to my Nikon 5200. I took pictures of the 2 bags, with the camera and without the camera. As you can see on the pictures, the 202 is wider, so it can accommodate the camera with the lens on, while the 102 is too narrow for that. Here are some rough measurements of the INSIDE of the bag.
Width = 8 3/4 (202) vs. 6 3/4 (102)
Depth = 5 3/4 (202) vs. 4 1/2 (102)
Height = 11 1/2 (202) vs. 10 1/2 (102)

What I like about the 202 over the 102:
- Can accommodate the camera with the 70-300 lens on
- More space to access both the camera and one lens from the side pocket
- Both of them are very light

All other features are the same. Net, if you are not sure which one to choose, go for the 202.
on February 10, 2012
First, a bit about myself: I am a semi-professional photographer who does a variety of work with my cameras, including things like motorsports, which require me to be walking around long hours with my gear and to access that gear in locations where I often don't have a place to put my bag down on a safe surface to take things in and out of it or swap lenses or the like.

Because of these needs, the Slingshot series of bags appealed to me. For those unfamiliar with them, they have a unique design - they're a sling, which means that there is one shoulder strap. When you put the bag on your shoulder, it will hang at a canted angle across your back. Then, if you need to access your gear, you reach behind you and slide the bag around under your left arm so it comes to rest sitting across your belly. When you do this, it sits at a perfect horizontal angle, and there is a flap opening on what is now the "top" (the side, when it's on your back) of the bag. Unzipping the flap gives you access to the internal compartment. The flap is a "two position" opening - you can unzip just the side opening or continue opening the zippers all the way across the bag to access the full internal compartment. There are two fastex buckles to prevent you from accidentally opening it all the way, or to hold it from letting all your gear spill out in case you do. The internal compartment is made up of a series of movable panels which are secured with velcro and are easily customizable. I have arranged these dividers so that when the bag is in the "front" position, I can access my camera body with a lens mounted, and a second lens as well. The rest of the gear in the other internal compartments stays secured unless you unzip the opening all the way, which is best done with the bag on a flat surface. This setup allows me to walk for a while with the camera stowed, and then access it and be ready to shoot within a few seconds. I can also do lens changes and the like while standing without setting any gear down, and everything stays nice and safe.

The main compartment is easily large enough for a pro-level DSLR body with a decent lens attached (Mine fits my Canon with a mounted 70-200mm L series lens with room to spare) as well as several spare lenses and a spare body. Also inside the main compartment are a microfiber LCD cleaning cloth (which is attached to the bag) for wiping down the screen on the back of your camera, and several memory card holders mounted just inside the flap opening, so that they're also accessible when the bag is in the "front" position on your belly.

Above the main compartment is a smaller top compartment. This has several elastic loops and mesh pockets for storing various gear, as well as a small zippered pocket on the inside of the flap. I typically carry various cables, card readers, filters, or the like in here. There are also two small-ish zippered pockets on the outside of the bag. One is flat and I use it to carry business cards. The other has some pen loops and such.

The bag itself is typical Lowepro construction - well made, with heavy duty zippers, good high-denier nylon fabric, and solidly put together. I have no doubts that it will hold up and do the job it is intended for. I also know several other working photographers who use the Slingshot bags, and they're more than happy with them.

One thing that may be in the minds of some people looking at this bag is how it compares to the other two bags in the Slingshot series - the 102AW and the 202AW. The obvious difference is size, but there are a few feature differences that people should be aware of as well, and I'll mention those in a second. First, though, comes sizing, as it's the biggest differentiation. The main thing to be aware of is that if you're using longer lenses (my Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS lens for example, which is 6.8 inches long without the hood) you will need the 302AW. I had originally purchased the 202AW, but with that lens mounted on my camera, it was just a little too long for the 202. I could get the bag closed, but the camera and lens were a tight fit that I just wasn't comfortable with. They fit properly in the 302 with room to spare. If you aren't using lenses that are that long, or don't need quite as much space to tote other lenses or a second camera body with you, the 202 would probably do fine. The 102 will fit a body and kit lens, but not much else. The 302 does feel significantly larger than the 202, but the extra storage and knowing my camera and lens aren't quite as susceptible to a side impact are worth the bulk - at least to me.

Now, for those feature differences I mentioned. The first one is that in addition to the shoulder strap, the 302 also has a fairly hefty waist belt. The 102 and 202 don't have a waist belt. Instead, they have a secondary small strap that passes around your right side and under your right arm to buckle on to the main strap. This helps hold the bag securely and keep it from shifting when it's on your back. I would like to have this on my 302, and am actually considering adding one myself. The waist belt on the 302 is nice, but I don't always want to wear it, and I wish there were some way to stow it away. Secondly, the 302 also has a small strap that runs across the bottom of the bag. At first I didn't see a purpose for it, but it's actually intended as a useful grab handle. When the bag is on your back and you want to sling it around to your front, you just reach back with your left arm, grab the strap, and tug. This actually makes shifting the 302 around to the front position a little easier than shifting the other bags in the series.

All in all, this is a great bag with a unique and useful feature of allowing you quick access to your camera and a safe "workspace" when you need it. I am quite happy with it, and am already looking forward to having it with me at a three day event next month.
22 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2016
I so wanted to love this bag. I almost do. With a little creative adjustment of the inner padding I can fit my Canon 6D with 70-200mm lens attached. I used some old dividers to make it more sturdy, but it works with the original dividers included. I'll post photos to show. I loooooove how easy it is to access my camera on the go. Unfortunately I never actually took it anywhere because it is just so heavy for one shoulder. It's not so bad if I only put the camera with 70-200 lens, but the moment I add any more lenses, forget it. And if I'm only going to carry that one lens the Altura is more comfortable and more lightweight. I could see carrying this bag with the original configuration and different lenses, but I use this lens too often to justify keeping this particular bag. The other issue is that I'm a petite female. The strap is just a little too long to fit well. And, as a female, I've discovered sling bags aren't necessarily the greatest fit in the chest area. Might not be fair to rate this bag down for that, since I suspect I'd have the same problem with most sling bags. However, I did find the Altura Altura Photo Camera Sling Backpack for DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras (Canon Nikon Sony Pentax) + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth fit much more comfortably. I can carry my 6D with 70-200mm attached (on its side), but not much of anything else. For whatever reason, it is more comfortable across my chest though. I'm including a side-by-side photo of the altura and the slingshot 202. You can see that the altura is smaller. The lowepro also doesn't fit a water bottle unless you attach it to the tripod strap, but then it swings free and that won't work. If you are carrying smaller lenses this bag would be perfect. My dad has the original model for his Nikon setup and he absolutely loves it.
on May 7, 2010
I have been using a Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 for the last several years. It's been a great bag and has held up very well. The problem is, it's just not comfortable enough to wear for an extended period of time. I usually set it down somewhere (leave it in the truck). The camera comes out and gets hung around my neck. If I need to switch lenses, I'm out of luck unless I walk back to where ever I set the bag down. I wanted something easy and comfortable that would allow me to carry just enough equipment to get the shots I wanted.

After doing a lot or research on line and in store, I found the Slingshot line of bags. I chose the 202 because it was the smallest bag that would fit my camera with a mid range lens attached. My go-to setup is a Nikon D5000 with the 16-85mm lens. As small as this combination is, it won't fit in the 100 series bag unless you detach the lens first. I chose the 202 over the 200 because the 202 has a strap to carry a tripod built on to the side of the back pack.

**Update 11/12/10 - I recently purchased a Nikon 70-300 mm VR lens. The lower camera portion of the 202 will fit the equivilent of 1 DSLR and up to 4 Nikon 70-300mm VR lenses and still have enough room for a charger & spare battery. (I know there is no reason to carry 4 of the same lenses. I share this because it gives you a maximum point of reference.) The 70-300 lens attached to the camera will fit comfortably. The other 3 will fit, but tightly! The equipment I use most often is a D5000 DSLR, 12-24mm, 16-85mm, 70-300mm, 35mm F1.8 and an SB800 flash. You can comfortably carry one DSLR, any 4 of the above, and a battery charger & spare battery in the lower portion of the bag. There are still front and top zipper pockets for other gear and/or your lunch. - End of update.**

I also bought the Lowepro Bottle Bag which I highly recommend. It attaches via built-in straps on the side or back of the slingshot. So now, I can even carry a drink. Lowepro sells a variety of accessories like the bottle bag that can attach to their camera bags.

From a pratical standpoint, the Slingshot series of bags allows a photographer a considerable amount of convenience and freedom. The bag is comfortable on your back. You can carry as much or as little equipment as you want. When you need it, the bags "slings" around to your front without taking it off your shoulder. You pull out your camera, take your shot, put the camera back, and move on hands free. With the bag in the front position, it even makes a steady spot to rest your arm/support the camera for those longer exposure shots. The Sling Shot even has a built-in all weather cover that you pull out to protect the back pack and your equipment in the event of rain or snow.

The one odd thing I found only affects you if you buy the bottle bag or some other accessory like I did. The only logical place to attach the bottle bag and be able to easily reach it, is on the same side where the tripod strap is. (The other side of the bag has the flap that opens to the camera.) If you do this, you can't carry both at the same time. You can attach the bottle bag to the front (back of the back pack when it's on your back), but you'll never reach your water bottle without taking the back pack off or "slinging" it around. This is not a problem or a design flaw. It is just something to be aware of if you take my advice and buy a bottle bag or other accessory.

The one complaint I have... The opening where the camera body sits is considerably wider than it needs to be. It turns into waisted space. Lowepro should come up with a use/design to take advantage of this wasted space. If they are reading my review, it would make a great spot to install a small compartment/wallet to hold spare batteries and a charger, add one more divider to hold something like lens hoods, or extend the existing divider so you could fit a longer zoom lens.

In the reseach I did, I couldn't find a better back pack. It is so near perfect that unless something better comes along, I have to give this bag a "highly recommended" to anyone considering it. I would happily buy it again.
1717 comments| 261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2013
I have a small non-camera backpack that I used for short trips and traveling. I would place towels in the backpack to pad and cushion the camera/lens. I've used it for a good 4 years, but it was a pain to use when I needed to get my camera in and out of the bag. Sometimes, I didn't have a place to put the bag down to remove/replace my camera in the bag. Sometimes I did a balancing act on my knee...not a great idea for expensive camera and lens.

I recently saw a fellow female photographer using a small Lowepro Slingshot bag. For a small bag, it looked lightweight with a slim profile. Not bulky and heavy looking. I did some research and checked the reviews on "sling-type" bags. I kept coming back to this Slingshot bag.

I was torn between the two sizes: 102 versus 202. I read many reviews and saw that the 102 was mostly used by folks who owned cropped sensor cameras...smaller DSLRs. I read the 202 was a good size for DSLRs and additional lens and accessories. Knowing that I didn't want to carry my "kitchen sink", I kept thinking the 202 was too much for me. Also size was a factor. The bigger the bag, the more I would carry and weight would be another factor as well. I read a review where the reviewer compared the 202 with the Evolution 8. That was the deciding factor. I ordered the 102 and hoped I made the right decision.

I was surprised when I received the bag...how small it was. I tried placing my Nikon D600 with my Nikkor 24-120mm lens (reversed hood attached) inside. The back of the camera sat over the zippered lip of the bag by ½ inch. It didn't fit. The next thing I did was gutted the inside of the bag and removed all the dividers. This time I placed my camera in sideways with the grip of the camera facing out towards the side opening of the bag. It fit! My Crumpler's Industry Disgrace strap fits inside as well. All is well!

I saw I had some extra space inside the bag. I extended the hood on my lens (as if I'm shooting) and placed the camera with lens inside the bag. It fit as well!

My Nikon SB-700 flash fits inside the top storage area. Of course, the flash head has to be folded down for it to fit. There is ample room inside this top storage area for media cards, extra batteries, and cleaning cloth.

I was able to fold the secondary side strap into the bag. There's a little opening in the back padded area right on the side edge of the opening for the weatherproof covering. It's nice to keep that extra strap from flapping around in the back when not in use.

On top of the main padded strap there is a sliding front buckle that allows me to adjust where the secondary strap will hit in front when attached. I can place that secondary strap above or below my bust area.

I've included pictures of my new bag in the gallery to give others an idea of how my camera is arranged inside. I hope my review will help others with a Nikon D600 camera and who may be looking for a similar solution.

I'm glad I trusted my instinct and purchased this bag. It's definitely functional as well as holds what I need to take with me on the go.

For those of you who are familiar with my reviews, I will post updates on the use of this bag and the comfort level. Stay tuned!
on August 29, 2016
Excellent bag for the money. Hopefully you don't waste your time on the $35 bags. Straps are worthless, fabric is cheap and worse, there's no ready access to your gear - especially your camera. Bought the Lowepro after watching their video and fighting with a bag on a shoot in DC. Went cheap and regretted it.

This bag is well built, well padded, and well designed for a soft case. But if you have a 70-200mm lens, make sure to get this size. The smaller versions will not accommodate the size easily without removing it from the body. Upper compartment will hold a flash easily and spare batteries, cleaning supplies, hard case for memory. The only thing missing is a place for a tablet, but that's minor compared to how well it handles your gear.

Word of advice, use the belt when hiking. The sling design will allow the bag to shift - a lot - but that is what it was designed to do. The belt keeps it stable.
on March 23, 2013
I purchased this bag when I was searching for a travel case for my newly purchased Nikon D5200 camera. I have the camera kit (camera body + 18-55mm lens with filter and lens cap) and also the Nikkor 55-300mm lens with filter, hood, and lens cap. This bag fits everything perfectly. The storage space in the top front is spacious, I fit my whole wallet, keys, and cell phone on my most recent day trip to an art festival. The bag was comfortable to wear (granted I wasn't carrying that much, so keep that in mind when reading), the strap is wide and sits comfortably on my shoulder. The little side strap that connects to the front strap provides additional support and I ended up using this toward the end of the day. I am not a professional photographer nor do I have an abundance of equipment so there is plenty of extra room in this bag for me to add additional lenses or filters (when I purchase such things in the future) or heck, even a point and shoot camera as well. The bag seems durable (I just got this bag so I haven't been able to really "test" the durability quite yet), but bag material and stitch work is quality as well as strap cushion and compartment dividers inside the bag. There are more than enough nooks and crannies in this bag for memory cards, cords, extra batteries, etc. I even was able to fit my cleaning kit inside!

I recommend this bag for budding photographers like myself or those who are shooting casually and don't need to tote around copious amounts of equipment or multiple cameras.

***For pictures of this product I took myself see the customer uploaded images OR visit my Flickr (TarahS16).
on December 10, 2015
I have the Lowepro large backpack as well that holds my laptop, and all my lens at once. However I was planning a trip and just couldn;t pack the weight but needed something secure for my camera and the vital gear. I LOVE LOVE this sling. Well made by Lowepro but I wouldn't expect less form them. I was worried it would be too small and not hold my camera. Don't worry. It will do the job and do it well!

In the photo you can see in the main compartment I have my camera w/ 18-135lens attached. On the side is a 75-300 lens and the opposite side is my 55 prime lens along with my flash remotes and tripod shoe. The outside top little pocket that sticks out is also great to hold the flash remote and tripod shoe, currently I have the pocket filled with suckers for good little children and adults who behave during a shoot. haha The Top pocket holds my 16-35 L series lens however a camera body could also fit here too.

Well made, worth the price, very comfortable to wear, easy to take on and off. Secure and safe for the gear.
review image review image review image
on November 25, 2016
This thing is a BEAST! It holds everything I wanted, and more. I actually have unused lens spots. Does that mean I could have got the 202aw and been happy? NOPE! Because I wanted to stow my FF DSLR w/70-200 mounted. The smaller bag wouldn't accommodate that. So, while this bag has a little more room than I need, what it does allow me to do is store extra's like my cell phone, car keys, some dry rations, etc, that normally wouldn't have room for because my bag was already maxed out. It's comfortable when strapped on, and the weight is distributed well. Unbuckle the waist clip, slide it around and access your DSLR w/Lens mounted through the side opening, change lenses, batteries, whatever. Never have to set anything down in the dirt. A big plus. The tripod carry feature looks good, but I haven't bought a travel tripod to try in it yet, my old Bogen is way too big, and my old Bogen Monopod is too long. Travel versions are shorter, and use more sections to get up to height, and I assume that is what this bag is meant for. All in all, this is the nicest large bag I've had. Long time Lowepro user, moved up from a Lowepro Trecker to this.