Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Lucky Man: A Memoir
Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 6, 2012
I enjoyed the book however I thought it would include more details about Parkinson's and how he coped with it in order to assist persons who have this condition as well as what research is discovering.I thougt the details of his life were a little long . Perhaps the title Lucky Man was intended to reveal more of his life and not as much about Parkinson's He was indeed a lucky man to be where he is today with his career as compared to his early problem filled years.It is refreshing to read what he has done to turn his life around. I hope this is read by a lot of young people.
He deserved credit for what he has done for research in this area.
It is easy to read.
on March 19, 2017
I love his positive attitude that shines through the book. I enjoyed the first 1/4 or perhaps 1/3 of the book the most. But I'd hoped he'd get into more about how Parkinsons changed his life and how he coped. He didn't entirely deliver on that. But he's got a great story and it's worth a read.
on March 20, 2016
Michael is both brutally and refreshingly honest about his life, his family, his disease and his fears. It's an emotional journey of a precocious child turned rebellious teen, who charms his way into opportunity but works hard to see his dreams come into fruition as a young man. On the onset he is caught up in his success and the Hollywood machine, but it's his onset of Parkinson's disease that leads to self discovery and manhood. Facing a battle with a disease only exacerbated the war he was wagging within himself. PD ultimately shines a light and Michael conquers his demons and fears with grace and humility. His words are emotionally charged, taking us through fear to humor, from pain to happiness, but leaving us with a changed perspective and unwavering gratitude. Thank you Michael, I can only hope to be as gracious.
on July 22, 2016
Reading this book was a fascinating experience. American President is one of my most favorite films. I never would have imagined that "Lewis"" was struggling with so severe a disease. Michael J. Fox is courageous, optimistic, and an amazing example for all of us to keep on keeping on.
on July 6, 2012
In a memoir about his diagnosis and ultimate acceptance of Parkinson's disease, Michael J. Fox gives a compelling account of his journey from alcoholic, self-centered celebrity to his family-centered, life-loving, Parkinson's-diseased self. Although an easy read, Fox targets an adult audience as he reveals many of his biggest struggles--personal insecurities, family problems, alcoholism, and early onset Parkinson's disease. Fox attacks these dark topics that are so often left unspoken with ease. Using wit and humor, he makes these issues more human even as his Hollywood persona--the lovable kid from Family Ties and the Back to the Future trilogy--struggles with them.

Fox earned his 5 stars as he had me interested and laughing throughout the entire book. Even while reading about such heavy topics, I didn't want to put the book down. Fox chose to tell his overall story using short, non-chronological stories ranging in time from toddlerhood to the present. Although this gave me some timeline issues in which I found myself flipping back to previous stories for the answer, I thought Fox's choice to use this style of writing was a good one. The placement of each story helped me to understand its significance and how it contributed to making Fox the person he is today. Fox also addressed complicated medical problems (including the diagnosis, symptoms, and treatments for Parkinson's disease) without using heavy medical jargon. In this way, he is able to give the reader a good understanding of the disease.
on December 17, 2013
I've always been a fan of Michael Fox's. When I saw this memoir for only 2 bucks on Amazon, I couldn't resist. Boy, am I glad I grabbed it. I learned much about Michael the man, since I already knew the actor.
I thought I knew enough too but soon learned I knew nothing at all. I also got a bigger glimpse into Parkinson's Disease and the effects it has on the person who has it, and the people around them.
It's nice to see a celebrity like Michael using his stature to bring awareness, as well as attending senate meetings on behalf of people with Parkinson's, to try for more funding for research. Being so active in the fight is admirable, especially when you see the extents he has taken.
There were some funny moments too. I loved how he shared his family life, from childhood to now, his stories were heartwarming.
Lots of people will enjoy this read, a fan or not. For those not sure, believe me when I tell you that it's more than meets the eye.
on July 19, 2017
As someone who has an incurable degenerative muscle disorder, I could relate so much to Michael and his struggles described in this book. He describes how he slowly came to terms with his disorder along with his crazy life in general. He gave me such an amazing perspective on life that I have always dreamed of sincerely believing. Michael J. Fox is an inspiration for so many people and this book simply furthers that notion. Incredible read.
on January 28, 2012
Fantastic book and highly recommended with a poisitive message to his readers. You enjoy it tremendously. I would probably point more stars if I had the option to. So full 5 stars!

Michael J. Fox is a unique and very talent guy. It was obvious when you watched him acting. And for my opinion, he is still considers as one of the best. He was fast pace and so natural. Never acted from other valance view point. Now that he allowed us to have an insight into his inner world, it was amazing to see what he could do to make things go right and to an end phenomena of a positive point despite his condition. He went into an extreme to entertain us, giving up his health. Which show how much his self determinism view, is so important and above all that he was willing to sacrifice his life. Currently he suffers phisically from PD but spiritually he never changed. The language he uses is literate and reading his book is very enjoyable, leaving us with a message of, no mercy, but "one can always do something about it".

A person lives as long as he strives to help. When he stops, he dies. MJF never stopped contributing to others. Thus, and the Way I see it, his goal of his life wasn't just acting and finance himself. Otherwise we wouldn't continue hearing him to date being out there and communicate. He never rest despite his condition, but continue to operate as a free being.
on June 7, 2017
Now love and respect him as an author. Not only for his writing. But for his willingness to share so much of his personal life with the reader. Meant to read this long ago, bought it for my kindle when it first released. Just finally took the time to read it.
on December 10, 2012
This was an enjoyable and inspiring read. Though he wrote this himself and there may be biases here, Fox comes across as honest and humble. He highlights his life and lets us know what he was thinking and feeling during each of those events. Concerning his successes, he takes you to the point where he got there and then moves on, not dwelling on those high points. He seems to want us to know how he has grown and changed from his experiences.

Early in the book he says that if he could have stayed the person he was before getting Parkinson's, and then didn't get Parkinson's, that he wouldn't go back to that other guy. He feels that he has grown so much in a positive way from his post Parkinson's diagnosis experiences. And I believe him.

I can't say that I was really a Fox fan when I bought this book. I only got it because it was the cheap Kindle deal of the day and thought it would be an interesting read. The most I had seen of him was on Family Ties. I must say I did like that show at the time. I remember when I first saw him on the show (it was the episode where he made some great investments in the stock market) that I thought he did have "something." It seemed like he was stealing the show and of course everyone else thought so too!

Anyway, after reading the book I'm interested in checking him out in other stuff. He makes you feel like you kind of know him and as a result you are curious about his other performances. At least that's how he affected me.

There is a lot of meat in this book. His struggle with Parkinson's is just part of it. I can't really cover all the good things here. If you want an inspiring and interesting read I would recommend this for you.