Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,160 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,731 reviews
on March 2, 2016
Well told tale, fully realized. This is about the tragic death of a child through violence, and how grief takes its' full measure from the surviving members of the family. It is also about acceptance, letting go, and moving on in life, as well as death. The narrator is the child victim who keeps checking in on her family and the investigation from a place described as a "personal heaven". This moves the story from just another sad crime drama to the realm of fantastical realism. Even as a non believer, I thought it was creatively done, and translated to the movie quite beautifully.
This story avoids sentimentality through solid insight into the family dynamic. Overall, a good read.
on October 5, 2016
I lost my friend, who was also only 14 years old, only 7 months before I got this book. It helped a lot to read this and imagine her looking down on our lives in the same was Susie did for her friends and family. It brought forward a lot of emotions I had about my friend's death, but I feel like I got more of a closure almost after reading this book. While she wasn't murdered like Susie was and took her own life, she didn't leave a note or tell anyone and we were all left wondering what her final thoughts were and if there would have been anything we could have done if we had known to prevent it. While you can never quite capture the grief of losing someone that young, Alice Sebold does much better than many other authors. I couldn't put the book down and never wanted it to end, as it brought a feeling of comfort to me.
on August 26, 2015
Very well written and the little details of human interaction and observation are what makes this story so unique and special. As a new mother, the beautiful parent-child perspectives caused me to stop and look at my parents anew. I also look at my little baby girl and can't imagine this happening to her but that's the world we live with, I suppose. Horrible and lovely all at once. Well done.
on September 5, 2010
I had read Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones, years ago when it first came out, never knowing that she personally was a rape survivor. I accidently discovered that fact while reading reviews of her books. She is quite candid and detailed about her horrific experience in this book. The violence she went through chilled me to the bone. She really brought me literally into the time frame of when this all happened and how rape survivors were treated and "handled" back in "those days". I could vividly picture all of it. Also, complicating matters is the dynamics of her family and her relationship with her mother. What is so impressive is how strong a woman she is and what she has overcome and accomplished. I don't know that if this nightmare had happened to me back in that time period that I would have been quite as brave as she was.
on August 18, 2014
A compelling, entertaining read. Not that murder, rape and death are fun, but the way the book portrays the afterlife makes the dark things that happen in the world of the living less painful. It's tale is not just in the murder and bad things that happen, but the aftermath for those left alive. We see how the untimely death of a child can tear apart a family, affects friends, acquaintances and even the evil person who committed the murder.

I decided to read this book because I've seen the movie a few times and though it was ok, I remember my wife having read the book long beforehand the movie and she really liked it. So when the movie came on and I happened to be on Amazon with my Kindle Fire, so I searched for it and was intrigued by some of the reviews that had facts about the book and author, I downloaded the book. It is an easy read, it just flows and took a few sittings to finish. While I give the movie three stars, the book gets 4, and I would recommend that you read the book before the movie because I felt that my imagination would have portrayed the characters and settings better having not been biased...
VINE VOICEon November 16, 2014
Susie Salmon was murdered when she was fourteen years old. She is also the narrator of this book. Susie watches family and friends from her heaven. Susie describes how her murder affected her family and friends. She tells about her murderer, and what might have led him to his destructive way of life. Susie also expresses the beauty and joy of human existence. As her story unfurls, we learn more about Susie and her community. We are also reminded of the beauty of everyday life.

This book truly deserves more stars than I can give it here. Written in a down-to-earth manner, the human condition is examined. The characters are real and the settings vivid. This book is moving and utterly unforgettable!
on May 7, 2017
A very compelling book. I've read all of the books by Alice Seabold, and they all have the ability to make you feel as though the characters are real, sadly in this case it was real. It spoke of triumph through one of the worst crimes imaginable...
on December 25, 2013
It made me cry
It made me smile
It book will always be in my mind.

We always ask ourselves "why?" Well I found the answer in this book. I'm fourteen and some weeks ago I bought this book. It explained me why some people die now and why some people die later. And I understand that it's okay.
The Lovely Bones is a beautiful story of loss, pain and tears. But also is a story of hope and love. Without pain, how we could know that our love is real? Susie was so young, but it doesn't matter. If you're an adult you can really identify yourself with her too. Because we all have the same question in our minds. "Why?" "What if...?" "Why me?" "Why them?"
So yeah. This books represents lost and love. Pain and joy. How an adult can't escape from her whole life because of her pain (Susie's mother). How a girl can support her father and affront her pain alone (Lindsey).
Some readers said that this book is so stupid or fantastic. That things like that would never happen. I have a question for them: How can you know? How can you be so sure that this book is not about the real world? How can you doubt the pain of the characters? The pain of Susie, if you have never be dead?
on June 3, 2013
This book is in no way easy to read. It starts out with a graphic account of 18 year old Alice Sebold's rape. I say account because it is mostly just facts, but that doesn't make it any easier to read. However I do think it was necessary to know the details to be able to understand how a horrible ordeal that lasted an hour affects the victim forever in so many different ways. It's a story of courage but without a halo. Sebold doesn't come off as having all the answers. She just explains how she got through the rape, trial and its aftermath. And she didn't do it without difficulty.

The book strikes me as clinical in many ways, in particular Sebold's account of the trial and the defense attorney's attempt to exonerate his client. The facts themselves are enough to indict the legal system that always tries to blame the female victim. However, in this case, the prosecutors had a nearly perfect victim. Sebold was a virgin before the rape, was brutally beaten in easily photographed ways, had not used drugs or alcohol and after a few initial stumbles, is able to catch on to the defense lawyer's attempts to cast a bad light on her or twist her words. I really appreciate that the book didn't become a raging diatribe at any point. It simply points out ,as Sebold says, that being a woman can suck, because they are always trying to smash you down. Even the aftermath of the rape and Sebold's trying to get on with her life after the rapist's conviction rings very true and is touching without trying to emotionally manipulate.

If you want to know how such a brutal crime can affect you or simply read about someone who made it through, it's worth reading this book.
on April 2, 2016
I've never been so moved by a book. I don't cry often, but on a plane home from vacation, as I read this book, tears were streaming down my cheeks. The way Alice wrote her memoir, adding humor to mask the pain, is heart wrenching. The tumultuous relationship with her family after a tragic event struck a chord with me, and made this book even more personal. Thank you to Alice for sharing her story and her courage with us all. A true inspiration.