The Lucy Show: The Official Second Season
DVD | Box Set
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
After the death of her husband, Lucy Carmichael (Lucille Ball) and her friend, the recently divorced Vivian Bagley (Vivian Vance), move into a house together with their children. The series follows the adventures of the widow Lucy as she grapples with the comic complications of life on her own.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
The episodes are a good time. I recommend The Lucy Book: A Complete Guide to Her Five Decades on Television by Geoffrey Mark Fidelman as a viewing companion.
There were several changes happening for this second 1963-64 Season of The Lucy Show. The first and most important change was Desi Arnaz resigning as President of Desilu Studios. Lucille Ball took over as President of Desilu Studios and the first thing she did as it's new President was to film The Lucy Show in beautiful color. Even though CBS wouldn't broadcast or pay for the color version until the 1965-66 Season, Lucy knew the power of syndication from I Love Lucy, and made the decision to film the rest of the seasons in color for future syndications that would command more money in color.
The second big change was replacing Charles Lane who played Mr. Barnsdahl as Lucy's banker, with Gale Gordon. Lucy didn't like Mr. Lane's forgetting his lines in front of a live audience, and so Theodore J. Mooney was the new banker in Danfield played by Gale Gordon. (Gale had been Lucy's first choice anyway, but was under contract on The Dennis The Menace Show). The third change was a new color opening that replaced the stick figures from Season 1, with photos of Lucy dressed as Cleopatra and other characters. With these 3 main changes, Season 2 began.
CBS has again cleaned up the original color films of the 28 episodes to make them absolutely pristine and said they are including the following bonus materials: The Lucille Ball Comedy Hour:Mr.& Mrs.. This one hour comedy special was made during The Lucy Show's third season's contract negotiations with CBS in the spring of 1964. It co-starred Bob Hope and Gale Gordon and featured Lucy as a tv studio boss who wants Hope to star in a tv show about a perfect married couple. This wonderful Lucy special was sponsored by Lever Brothers and aired on CBS on April 19, 1964. CBS is including this one hour treasure cleaned up, just as pristine as these 28 shows, in this wonderful 4 disc set. (I have not seen this Mr. & Mrs. Special since it premiered in 1964- What a TREAT to see it again! Wait until you see the gorgeous set and Lucy's elegant clothes- Lucy never looked lovelier!) Also included will be clips from the specials, Opening Night-shows rare Lucy and Phil Silvers clips, and CBS The Stars' Address- Lucy and Viv clip, Newly Recovered Cast commercials, Sponsor's openings and closings of the shows featuring their products, plus new Tony Maietta interviews with Carole Cook and Barry Livingston, Written Film Bios on all the guest cast members from this second season, Production notes on flubs and trivia, Photo Gallery and more!
The regular cast of Lucy, Viv, Chris, Jerry and Sherman would now include the new President of Danfield Bank- Theodore J. Mooney, played by Gale Gordon who would remain with Lucy to the end of The Lucy Show and even into her next series Here's Lucy.
The guest stars for Season 2 are, as always great, and include William Schallert, Ellen Corby, Barry Livingston, Eddie Applegate, Alan Hale, Leon Ames, Jackie Coogan, Wally Cox, Bernie Kopell, John Carradine, Robert Alda, Michael J. Pollard, Gary Morton, golfers Jimmy Demaret and F.G. Bo Winninger, Ethel Merman, Jack Albertson and Desi Arnaz, Jr.
After waiting for so very many years in hopes of someday owning all these beloved Lucy Shows, CBS has more than made up for our patience with these pristine clean ups and absolutely wonderful bonus materials!
I have heard rumors that The Lucy Show Season 3 may include the wonderful Lucy In London special from 1966 and is so far, scheduled for release on October 12, 2010! (I am keeping my fingers crossed!) THANK YOU AGAIN CBS for bringing our Lucy Shows back to us in such perfect condition with so many fantastic rarities!
Here are the following Season 2 Episodes:
01. ( 09-30-63) LUCY PLAYS CLEOPATRA- For their fundraiser, the Danfield Women's Volunteer Fire Fighters put on a Shakespeare play, Antony and Cleopatra, directed by Professor Glitterman (Hans Conried), only the death scene at the end takes longer than expected, when Viv's Marc Antony tries to outdie Lucy's Cleopatra.
02. ( 10-07-63) KIDDIE PARTIES, INC.- Lucy and Viv decide to make easy money putting on children's parties, only it's not as easy as they thought.
03. ( 10-14-63) LUCY AND VIV PLAY SOFTBALL- The Women's Volunteer Fire Department play a charity softball game, but Lucy is so bad that the manager benches her, until she gets her chance to play when another player faints. (William Schallert guest stars)
04. ( 10-21-63) LUCY GETS LOCKED IN THE VAULT- After the new bank president, Theodore J. Mooney refuses to give Lucy an advance on her allowance, Lucy practices her hair cutting skills, to earn the money she needs, on Mr. Mooney's son Arnold, only the inexperienced Lucy's haircut turns into a disastrous mohawk on little Arnold Mooney. Lucy goes to the bank to apologize to Mr. Mooney and accidentally locks them both in the bank's vault. (Ellen Corby and Barry Livingston guest star)
05. ( 10-28-63) LUCY AND THE SAFE CRACKER- When Lucy accidentally locks Mr. Mooney in the bank vault again, she gets the help of a candy store owner, who used to be a safe cracker, to get him out. (Ellen Corby guest stars)
06. ( 11-07-63) LUCY GOES DUCK HUNTING- When Lucy enjoys the company of her rich, handsome blind date, she agrees to go duck hunting with him, only she scares off all the ducks, and has to bring them all back with her own original duck call.
07. ( 11-11-63) LUCY AND THE BANK SCANDAL- Lucy thinks the bank's books not balancing is a result of the new Mr. Mooney burying the money in his back yard, so she spends the night digging with Viv. (Eddie Applegate guest stars)
08. ( 11-18-63) LUCY DECIDES TO REDECORATE- Lucy can only redecorate her house with the little amount of money Mr. Mooney gives her, if she does most of the work herself.
09. ( 12-02-63) LUCY PUTS OUT A FIRE AT THE BANK- Mr. Mooney and the town's finance committee no longer want to fund the Danfield Women's Fire Department Volunteers because of their incompetence, so Lucy plants a smoke bomb in the bank, so they can save the day. (Alan Hale guest stars)
10. ( 12-09-63) LUCY AND THE MILITARY ACADEMY- When Lucy misses her son Jerry while he's at the military academy, she sneaks in disguised as a cadet to see him. (Leon Ames and Jackie Coogan guest star)
11. ( 12-16-63) LUCY'S COLLEGE RE-UNION- Lucy shows Chris how they have an old tradition of hiding the statue of her college's founder, only there will be trouble if the statue isn't returned, and in the process, Lucy and Viv get trapped in the bell tower.
12. ( 12-23-63) THE LOOPHOLE IN THE LEASE- Sherman lets the bathtub overflow, damaging Lucy's ceiling and Mr. Mooney says Viv must pay or be evicted, until Viv reads a clause in the lease that says she has the rights to buy the house and evict Lucy, making Lucy and Mr. Mooney try to steal Viv's copy of the lease.
13. ( 12-30-63) LUCY CONDUCTS THE SYMPHONY- Harold, Viv's highly strung cousin stays with Lucy and Viv, as he will be performing as a percussionist in a New York orchestra and when Lucy tries to help him relax by hypnotizing him into a deep sleep, she can't wake him, having to take his place in the orchestra. (Wally Cox guest stars)
14. ( 01-06-64) LUCY PLAYS FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE- When Mr. Mooney breaks his leg and ends up in the hospital, Lucy needs to get him to sign a check for a new dress for Chris, but finds it hard to get near him with the nursing staff around. (Bernie Kopell guest stars)
15. ( 01-13-64) LUCY GOES TO ART CLASS- Lucy and Viv both take an art class to get close to a handsome bachelor, but when Viv gets a date with him, jealous Lucy sneaks into his apartment to ruin the pie Viv baked for him. (John Carradine and Robert Alda guest star)
16. ( 01-20-64) CHRIS GOES STEADY- When Lucy finds out daughter Chris is going steady with Mr. Mooney's son Ted, Lucy and Mr. Mooney team up to break up the young union, only to have it backfire on them. (Michael J. Pollard guest stars)
17. ( 01-27-64) LUCY TAKES UP GOLF- Lucy's new golfing boyfriend Gary asks Lucy to be his partner in a golf tournament, only Gary doesn't know that Lucy doesn't golf, until she learns it all in a day, shocking the pros on the course. (Gary Morton and pro golfers Jimmy Demaret and F.G. Bo Winninger guest star)
18. ( 02-03-64) LUCY TEACHES ETHEL MERMAN TO SING- When Lucy spots Ethel Merman, who's moving nearby, with Mr. Mooney at the bank, Mr. Mooney protects Ethel from Lucy by saying she's Agnes Schmidlapp, an Ethel Merman look alike. While Ethel is looking for a house to buy, she rents a room from Lucy and Viv, and gets singing lessons from Lucy. (Ethel Merman guest stars)
19. ( 02-10-64) ETHEL MERMAN AND THE BOY SCOUT SHOW- Ethel Merman agrees to sing in the local boy scouts show, but feels sorry for Lucy and Viv who get stuck making all the costumes and are depressed that they can't be on stage with her, so she invites them and Mr. Mooney to do a number with her. (Ethel Merman guest stars)
20. ( 02-17-64) LUCY AND VIV OPEN A RESTAURANT- Lucy talks Viv into being partners in a small restaurant, but even with no customers, Mr. Mooney wants to be a partner when he learns a freeway is being built nearby. (Jack Albertson guest stars)
21. ( 02-24-64) LUCY TAKES A JOB AT THE BANK- Mr. Mooney gives Lucy a job of getting new bank accounts by offering customers free toasters, but Lucy finds it easier to have her friends close their existing accounts and open a new one with the free toaster, causing a run on the bank.
22. ( 03-02-64) VIV MOVES OUT- Viv moves out after she and Lucy have a fight, and Mr. Mooney immediately has a new paying tenant move in, who is a singer, and practices her songs with her son all day and night, making Lucy want Viv back more than ever.
23. ( 03-09-64) LUCY IS HER OWN LAWYER- One dog starts the whole neighborhood of dogs barking every night and when Lucy finds out the main dog that won't let her get any rest is Mr. Mooney's, she decides to sue him.
24. ( 03-16-64) LUCY MEETS A MILLIONAIRE- Lucy accidentally spills spaghetti sauce on her millionaire date's tuxedo and when she and Mr. Mooney break into the dry cleaner's to get his other tuxedo, Lucy has a terrible mishap.
25. ( 03-23-64) LUCY GOES INTO POLITICS- When Mr. Mooney runs for City Comptroller, Lucy and Viv decide to run his campaign, but Lucy as usual forgets to book the talent for his campaign rally.
26. ( 03-30-64) LUCY AND THE SCOUT TRIP- When the scout leader can't make the scout trip, Lucy and Viv replace him, but get lost in the woods. (Desi Arnaz, Jr. and Barry Livingston guest star)
27. ( 04-20-64) LUCY IS A PROCESS SERVER- Lucy takes a temporary job for an attorney's office as a process server when she must serve a subpoena on Mr. Mooney, who is going on vacation. After chasing him all the way onto an ocean liner, she misses getting off ship and ruins his vacation.
28. ( 04-27-64) LUCY ENTERS A BAKING CONTEST- Lucy enters a baking contest after Viv makes a smart comment about Lucy's baking abilities, but when Lucy switches her entry with Viv's to win the contest, a fight ensues where the pies could be used as weapons.