Lunar Belly Dance - East Coast Tribal, with Sera Solstice: Bellydance instruction, complete East Coast Tribal-style how-to; intermediate level, essential belly dancing classes
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Lunar Bellydance, created by the trend-setting star of tribal belly dance Sera Solstice, develops and extends the East Coast Tribal belly dance style with an emphasis on infusing movement with meaning, breathing holistic intent and emotive projection into dance technique while cultivating dynamic, graceful, and visually high-impact movement.
Lunar Bellydance interprets and teaches dance as language. Even the basic movements are introduced as units of meaning that fit into phrases and prompt the release of expressivity. Each movement holds an opportunity for the dancer to open, unfold, search within, process, and let go, connecting to a deeper self and to her true desires, learning to love herself and ultimately strengthening the link between self and movement.
Lunar is of the night, of the inner-self. Lunar is often fluid, isolated and ethereal. It is the dance of self-healing, self-knowledge, self-love, of inner-searching, dreamwork, and magic.
The program opens with the East Coast Tribal Essential Movement Practice, including warmup, technique review, and meditation. The flow of movement continues with the Essential Lunar Armwork section and the signature East Coast Tribal Essential Hipwork, and then culminates with footwork, hipwork, and undulations movement drills that prepare you for the 4 combinations taught later in the program. An extended movement flow is the key element of the Solstice method of daily muscle conditioning and deep technique work. You will enjoy non-stop movement to evocative cutting-edge world music electronica.
The four elemental movement combinations - Air, Fire, Water, and Earth - are demonstrated by Sera and the Solstice Ensemble - first at a slow tempo, and then up to speed. In addition, Sera offers a detailed breakdown of each step. A practice flow section allows you to join Sera and the dancers of the Solstice Ensemble in multiple repetitions of all four combinations.
Experience the community of Sera's Solstice Studio in New York City.
Top customer reviews
Recommend this for intermediate thru advance.
What I like about this DVD:
1. Learning more of Sera's signature moves along with her teaching to convey more feeling/soul into music. Sera gives a very detailed break down on the moves.
2. It's challenging. Not something I can just pickup the 1st time. Will take me awhile to really get down on the layering and nuances.
3. Her 4 elements: water, air, fire, and earth. Liked how she portrayed the combos for each.
4. How she has that tribal spirit. Constantly having Solstice Ensemble with her in warm-up, demos, cool down and group performance. Enjoy how Solstice Ensemble is incorporated by dancers of all shapes, sizes, and ethic background.
5. 3 great, full costume/makeup performances at end: lovely duet between Sera and Danielle (?). Good music, they incorporated into this duet the combos taught on this DVD, nice costumes, great duet interplay. This 1st one was my favorite of the 3. The second performance is a solo of Sera. She is such a graceful, moving dancer. Costume in this one was gorgeous! (I want that skirt!). Didn't care for the music. 3rd performance was a group Solstice Ensemble performance. Awesome group formations and synergy within group. The 2nd and 3rd performance could have been better if used better music.
6. Has warm-up, meditation, demo of combos, detailed breakdown of combos, cool down and 3 performances. She spend a great deal of time/energy making this and it shows.
7. Like how Sera wore leggings for instruction part so you could clearly see when her toes were pointed, knees when bents, etc.
What I didn't like and this is just my opinion:
1. THE MUSIC! Don't like most of the music. It's very industrial/techno/lounge music. Doesn't sound belly dance or middle eastern at all. The music for mediation was not meditative at all for me. So much so, that I found myself skipping thru meditation because couldn't get into it with that music, not soothing/serene music. The music she has to represent 4 elements, I didn't feel representing any of the 4 elements at all. The music was neither belly dance (with exception of water) nor giving me any feeling of those elements when I heard them. The solo and group performance music was not the best. Felt performances of these 2 could have been better if they used more appropriate/fitting music. Belly dance became lost. It felt more like NY modern dance than belly dance.
2. I know this is Lunar, but the instruction part was quite dark. Had dark background, little lighting and dark clothes, so harder to see the moves being demonstrated. Saw this even on Solar DVD which couldn't understand at all why that 1 was dark and not light.
Overall I would recommend this DVD particularly if you are a fan of Sera's style. I am learning great combos and tools for injecting feeling/soul into my dance. Found it to be very helpful in growing as a dancer.
Most recent customer reviews
I like her dance style and look forward to por these moves in my dance