Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Lust For Life
Format: DVD|Change

on May 31, 2016
Having spent a day in the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam the week before we saw the movie I was amazed by the historical accuracy of this. And Douglass played the part so well. They used the original art for the movie as well so short of spending the day at the Van Gogh in Amsterdam, a great way to see some of his most famous pieces. Scary though that they were allowed to be handled the way they were.

A must see movie for fans of impressionism.
on October 7, 2016
Kirk Douglas' finest performance, is fraught with peril. Anthony Quinn, who won an Oscar for his portrayal of Paul Gauguin, is superb. The script, some of which was taken from Van Gogh himself, is sometimes dated but always poignant: "Sometimes the pictures come to me as if in a dream, with a terrible lucidity." BRILLIANT!! What a creative, outstanding life of a truly lonely, unappreciated artist that will never be forgotten!!
on April 17, 2017
I absolutely love this movie, even if there are many mistakes in it compared to what we know about Van Gogh's life, it is still a very good movie that will leave you wanting to know more about this incredible painter.
on July 15, 2017
Shows us the caring side of Van Gough - his devotion to help others, especially the poor and down-trodden. Makes me mad everytime someone makes a joke about his ear and flaws. His art speaks of his raging, passionate mind. Wish more people reciprocated his love
on July 22, 2014
Very well made movie on the turbulent Life of the dutch painter Vincent van Gogh based on the fantastic book composed by Irving Stone. I can not conceive any other actor to have done due justice to the role of Vincent as has been achieved by Kirk Douglas. There is no parallel in the world of fine Art as is occupied by Vincent Van Gogh. Watching the moments of emotions displayed by Kirk Douglas are exactly the same as have been expressed by Irving Stone and are according to the available evidence on the Artist. This type of acting is known in the film making as 'style of the Method school' which was mastered by Marlin Brando, Humphrey Bogart & James Dean. The acting so real that the viewer feels that the actual character who is depicted is playing the role. It is not possible to identify the character in the story as distinct with the actor in the movie.
on September 17, 2015
This movie is a biopic about Vincent Van Gogh, attempting to show how he evolved into an artist and the special challenges that he faced. The set design, costuming, and locations are extremely well handled while the acting is exceptional. Kirk Douglas as Van Gogh is believable and interesting. Anthony Quinn as Paul Gauguin is amazing. The downside is that this is a movie with time and script limitations. It is like a glossy magazine hitting the highlights of a very complex career and life. However, I give it five stars for making the most out of two hours. The scenery alone makes it very watchable.
on April 28, 2011
I saw on TCM a "making of" special about this film, and it looked interesting. And I've always liked van Gogh's artwork. So I decided to give this a try.

Now to understand how much I enjoyed this film, you have to understand how I normally "watch" movies: with my nose buried in my computer, writing software or fiction. Once in a while I look up for an exciting scene, but mostly I listen to the film in the background.

Not far into "Lust for Life", I put down the computer. Then I turned off the room light, so I could get a clearer picture. This was one film I truly WATCHED. The director did a phenomenal job of putting van Gogh's work into the context of the real places where he worked. He even hired locals for many of the lesser roles. The movie made me feel like I was there, and gave me a new appreciation for works I had long enjoyed.

And once the film caught my attention, it spoke to me. I'm in two creative fields, and I've experienced times where the work just took over my mind. The more I worked, the more the ideas drove me to even more ambitious ideas, almost like a feedback loop. It's hard for me even to describe; but Kirk Douglas in this film captured that feeling exactly, and I really identified with the man. At the same time, in van Gogh's case this drive took over his life; and the result was tragic (and a little ominous).

Since then, I've researched the real story. The film isn't 100% historically accurate. It's a little sanitized and a little dramatized. But the differences are small, and inconsequential.

Finally, I have to note the excellent performance of Anthony Quinn as Gauguin (sp?). I honestly couldn't recognize him in this role. I'm more familiar with his later roles, where it seemed like directors hired him to play Anthony Quinn, kindly wise old man. This film made me realize I've missed some of his best work. He really became the character for me.
on March 12, 2017
A very good movie to begin with but now the Blu ray format makes it so much better...
on October 22, 2017
Wonderful movie and the Bluray edition has exceptionally clear image and sound
on August 14, 2015
Kirk Douglas stars as Vincent van Gogh -- the rebel misfit who became a legend long after his death. Misunderstood, unsure of himself and his purpose in life and unable to sell a single canvas in his lifetime, his work exhibits brilliance and a decided uniqueness in the history of art.

Douglas' performance here is one of his best. The cast is uniformly quite good. The film moves smoothly and looks great. The image and sound quality are exemplary. The extras are good. And the film itself has not been surpassed by other Van Gogh bios.