Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Audible Audio Edition|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on August 31, 2015
Lying eyes was a good enough book to finish. Then again I usually finish a book I began. The story was a bit trite at times but the topic of jewels, (Alexandrite to be exact), mobster types, the police, and a light love story, carry the story through. I was a little distracted by Edgar, Cosmo the magicians rabbit, when it was mentioned a number of times that he blinked. Rabbits do not blink often. I do know this as I raised rabbits in the past. So for me, it pulled me away from the story briefly. Amy Atwell is an exceptional writer however. This is reflected in her period book Ambersley (Lords of London Book 1). It is worth checking out if you like period storylines.
on June 21, 2011
Lying Eyes was like reading a madcap, action-adventure story featuring the Fortunes of Las Vegas led by the slippery and elusive magician, master of disguise and patriarch Cosmo Fortune. He was at the epicentre of all things good and bad happening in this book.

Iris Fortune, jewellery designer by trade, is the calm, cool and collected eldest daughter of Cosmo Fortune. But she's kinda written off dear ole dad, who's never really been a part of her life...until he turns up missing. Next thing you know she`s got a hot, petty jewel thief sticking to her like glue, two previously unknown young women who turn out to be her new half sisters and 10 million dollars in missing gems. Now bad people are after Cosmo and the gems he`s supposed to have in his possession and if they have to go through Iris and her new found sisters to get to him - well then that's what they'll do. Ohh Daddy Dearest this latest escapade you're embroiled in could get somebody dead...in a hurry!

Lying Eyes had a humorous, light, fun feel to it. Even though it's a romantic suspense and lives were threatened numerous times, I never felt anyone was ever really in danger. I know you're not supposed to like the bad guys, but the bumbling, buffoon henchman Jock and Pebbles provided a lot of comic relief (they reminded me of the bad guys in Home Alone getting bested by Macaulay Culkin). And who names a goon Pebbles? He was nothing but a big ole simpleton oaf with a soft spot for animals - especially the magician's 20 lb white rabbit Edgar who always seemed to have his little twitching nose right in the thick of things. Try pulling that rabbit out of your hat O-O!

What I liked best about Lying Eyes was the love story between Iris and her scruffy, petty thief with the swashbuckling grin she can't stop thinking about...ohhhh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind. Hey Mickey! Hey Mickey! We all know he's not really a thief out to kill her dad or steal the jewels, but it takes Iris a lot longer to figure him out and unmask the undercover agent.

Mickey's great at playing the part of a thief, but his feelings for Iris are real and true. Their relationship is cute, fun, flirty and sexy and for most of the book - she has no idea who he really is. At one point when things were looking pretty grim for Mickey and Iris he comes out with this line:

"Who's joking?" He lifted his face, his gaze roaming over her. "If this is my last night on this Earth, I sure as hell want to spend it with you." Ohhhh Mickey *heart melts*.

If you want a fast-paced, madcap, sexy romp then you can't go wrong with Lying Eyes. I really enjoyed it - Fortune family drama, Russian royalty, missing gems, rabbit and all!
on May 12, 2011
This romantic suspense drew me in from the second Mickey appeared on the page. He's an undercover cop trying to track down some stolen diamonds, and he's hot! At the beginning I thought he was going to kill the heroine's dad, and I still was enthralled.

Iris draws Mickey's attention because she's the daughter of Cosmo, a magician and con man working in Las Vegas. She doesn't want anything to do with Mickey or her dad, and simply wants a normal life with her very boring but upwardly mobile fiance. She's cool, smart and has a big heart--a fact which her dad tends to exploit.

However, she's drawn in against her good judgment, and the sparks fly between her and Mickey . Their situation is also complicated by Russians, cops, two sisters Iris wasn't even aware of, and a very cool bunny.

The writing is smooth and smart, and there are lots of plot twists to keep the reader turning the pages. It was a excellent read, and I'm really looking forward to the next book from this author.
on November 19, 2010
Amy Atwell's debut novel reminded me of classic romantic comedies. I'm talking about the "real" classics with Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews - tales from a time when people really knew how to tell a story.

Amy knows how to tell a story.

Set in Sin City, this novel has it all jewels, mobsters, con men, rabbits, the Bellagio, a sexy redhead and an even sexier dark-haired man named Mickey - swoon.

I couldn't put this book down until I finished it and then my next thought was, "When will she write another?"
on December 12, 2010
Nice, swift read with some unexpected twists in the road! Highly recommended! A great way to wile away a snowy/rainy day!

LYING EYES is a fun romantic "caper" novel with good characters, some history and some gemmology information thrown in for good measure! Not just your usual diamonds either! The heroine has a most unusual name (nice twist), some interesting family values, good steamy love scenes. The author has definitely been to Vegas and it shows.

Other players in the game bode well for a second (and third) sequel.

The star is really Edgar though!

I eagerly await her next novel! I think it will be even more fun!
on December 13, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, talk about laugh out loud funny! Few authors can make me do that, so what a treat. The scene at the Bellagio with the Russians and the rabbit was hilarious. I was on the fence about Cosmos Fortune, as I'm sure most readers were, but the old boy won me over. I sure hope Iris' sisters will be getting their own stories as I look forward to reading anything by this brilliant new author. :-)
on January 1, 2011
From the first page you know you're in for a fun ride. Amy Atwell weaves layers of the story into a tight tapestry that will keep you hooked until the end. The twists kept me guessing and I feel like I know the richly drawn characters. I actually had several "oh no" moments where I held my breath to see what would happen next. Vegas is the perfect backdrop for this intelligent and sexy debut.
on November 21, 2010
I was captivated by this book from the first line to the last. This smart caper book has romance, humor, unexpected sisters, a con man father who loves all three of his daughters, and a very cute bunny. The writing, the plot, and the characters are all brilliant. I would love to see this as a movie.
on June 13, 2011
What an awesome book.
If you haven't downloaded your copy...don't wait. This story deserves to be read. Sexy, funny, and yes, very yummy!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.