Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 47 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 80 reviews
on November 23, 2016
There is a set that I bought a long time ago, when I was just getting into music. It was The Who, 40 Years of R&B and Rock. It was the coolest set of CDs I had ever seen.

They came in this rectangular box, and upon the CDs was a book of essays. The first by Who guitarist Pete Townsend. The rest I can't recall at this point, but what I do recall is putting the first CD into my stereo and just holding the collection. 6th grade was a very simple time.

Now that I've been fully indoctrinated, rock stations are all that ever play when I'm working or driving. You hear a lot of The Who on classic rock stations, as well as Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Generally, on classic rock stations, you hear the same Skynyrd songs over, and over, and over again. Rarely is there any brave straying from Free Bird or Tuesday's Gone. Thus, I thought it important to add Skynyrd to my collection.

Initially when I saw this collection I was pretty excited because, years before, I purchased a set much like it.

This box-set is pretty good, but I think it's perfect for that 6th grader who wants to rock out.

The essays are heartbreaking, because Skynyrd's story is heartbreaking, and I think that young lovers of music and old alike will appreciate the writing if they decide to read it. It looks beautiful, feels nice in the hand, and boasts some great tunes.

Between my experience with two of these collections, I have to say The Who set is better for one reason. It includes more songs. Now some may say, WELL, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? You know the story, Brady!

Five Albums equates to more than 3 CDs worth of "the best". I'm sure that there are plenty of never heard tracks, versions of tracks, and other things that could have set up a fuller collection.

For instance, the collection only includes the first cut of "Gimme Three Steps". I'd never heard it before, and personally prefer it, but some will undoubtedly wish that their favorite version was on this collection. It also includes live versions where, instead, I would have rather had studio cuts. But of course, a couple versions of "Free Bird" are on it.

All in all, however, I have to say that MCA did a great job. Like I said, if you're looking for a gift for a young listener, or somebody who isn't hard to please and needs a little more rock music in their life, this is a great set. Plus, as an American, I think it's important for every citizen of our great nation to hear what Ronnie Van Zant, the lead singer of Skynyrd, called the "American version of The Stones".

Van Zant is the only person who could have come close to doing an American version of the Stones. His vision was very clear, and this box set is representative of his genius.

I say buy it if you don't already the initial albums of Skynyrd.

Happy listening!
on April 11, 2015
I don't know why I got this box set...being that I have all of Lynyrd Skynyrd's work! There really isn't anything new on it as compared to Gold & Platinum and or what I have...guess I just wanted to be a completiest with my favorite southern rock band...really miss you Ronnie!
on July 6, 2016
love it
on November 17, 2011
I was a little unhappy because it didn't come with the normal inserts describing the band. Most cds are usually are included with more details about the music & songs.
However for the money and all the great music this collection does have nice set to own! I would certainly buy again! A great music collection! Well worth the cost; unfortunately the plane crash ended this great bands career too suddenly.
These guys like Allman Brothers box set are a fantastic addition for all southern & classic rock fans.
on January 12, 2016
This really is The Definitive Lynyrd Skynyrd. Has all the classics and few you haven't likely heard.
This really is a total collection of classic Skynyrd.
on April 5, 2017
Lynyrd!!
on September 29, 2016
Was in excellent condition when I received it. Feel the set was entirely worth the purchase.
on January 18, 2013
I bought this as a gift for my boyfriend who loves Skynyrd but was tired of the same old songs. He owned a lot of the original albums (no way to play them) these songs came off of. This set has a great collection of Skynyrd songs featuring a lot of deep cuts in addition to some of their greatest hits.This set has been played almost non stop since I gave it to him. A must have for any fan!
on June 29, 2015
This was a gift for my husband. His favortie band is Lynyrd Skynyrd and he needed some cds so he could play in his truck. They had all of his favorite songs on there.
on February 24, 2016
Perfect for the "deep southern" rock lover in music style. A must have for music collectors!