Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "M-Audio AV42 | 20-Watt Compact Studio Monitor Spea..." and save 42% off the $200.00 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
2-Year Musical Instruments Accident Protection Planfrom SquareTrade
- Coverage for drops, spills and product malfunctions
- 24/7 customer support
- Free shipping on all repairs with no deductibles or hidden fees
- Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime, full refund in the first 30 days
- If you purchase this service plan and eligible product for this service plan, you acknowledge that Amazon may send the service plan seller relevant product and price information for the purpose of administering the plan
M-Audio AV42 | 20-Watt Compact Studio Monitor Speakers with 4-inch Woofer (Pair)
- Entry-level, compact desktop monitors to form basis of small home studio
- Flexible, uncovered speaker cones for improved sound quality
- 4-inch woofer, 20-watt per channel amplifier with Class A/B architecture
- RCA inputs for connecting gaming systems, DJ gear, mixers and more
- Compatible with all your gear, including your tablet, computer, or mobile device
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
The AV42 delivers great audio experiences from your music and multimedia applications.
For the Quieter Nights
The M-Audio HDH50 headphones make a great match with the M-Audio AV32 and AV42 speakers.
When it is time to be quiet for the family or neighbors, plug the HDH50's into the headphone port and enjoy high definition audio... privately.
- Frequency Response: 12Hz-24kHz.
- Cable: 6.8 ft. (2.1m) with 1/8" connector.
Professional Quality for Your Desktop
Recording engineers and producers in studios from all around the world rely on M-Audio monitors.
Now, you can enjoy the same professional standard of audio quality right on your desktop.
The M-Audio AV32 and AV42 have custom-tuned cabinets, optimized speaker design, and advanced crossover technology deliver to the best sound you can get in monitors this size.
- OptImage IV tweeter waveguides.
- Front panel: Volume control, 1/8-inch headphone output, and 1/8-inch stereo auxiliary input.
- Back panel: RCA inputs for connecting gaming systems, DJ gear, mixers, and more.
Hear the Upgrade
Flexible, uncovered woofer and tweeter cones replace the grill to allow a more intricate waveguide while remaining child- and pet-proof.
Get all You Need
You can connect devices with RCA line outputs to the left speaker’s back panel. One connection sends sounds to both active and passive speakers.
The front headphone output allows you to work privately at any hour, while the 1/8-inch stereo auxiliary input lets you easily switch audio sources as needed.
|M-Audio AV32||M-Audio AV42|
|Weight||5.6 lbs||7.6 lbs|
|Dimensions||7.5" x 5.1" x 6.1"||8.4" x 5.7" x 7.4"|
|Tweeter||Optimage IV wave guide||Optimage IV wave guide|
|Inputs||RCA, 1/8" stereo auxiliary||RCA, 1/8" stereo auxiliary|
|Frequency Response||80 Hz - 20,000 Hz||75 Hz - 20,000 Hz|
|Amplifier power (per channel)||10 watts continuous||20 watts continuous|
Compare with similar items
Recording engineers and producers in studios from all around the world rely on M-Audio monitors. Now, with the AV42 monitors, you can enjoy the same professional standard of audio quality right on your desktop.
The AV42 takes the acclaimed design of its predecessor to the next level. Dropping weight by nearly half, these desktop monitors are now composed of a special medium-density fiberboard (MDF) and unique interior reinforcement designed to absorb vibration and minimize distortion.
By removing the grill and utilizing flexible, ferrofluid-cooled silk cones, the tweeters are able to take advantage of the OptImage IV’s intricate waveguides for superior imaging and detail. Additionally, our innovative speaker monitor cabinet includes carefully placed acoustic material that makes the AV42 sound much bigger than it is—resulting in a smooth, natural bass response.
- TYPE: Two-way desktop reference speaker
- Low-frequency Driver: 4” diameter, polypropylene-coated, high-temperature voice coil
- High-frequency Driver: 1” diameter, silk cone tweeter
- Frequency Response: 75 Hz – 20,000 Hz
- Crossover Frequency: 2,700 Hz
- Dynamic Power: 20 watts continuous, per channel into 4 Ω
- Signal-To-Noise Ratio: > 90 dB (typical, A-weighted)
- RMS SPL: 101.5 dB @ 1 meter
- Connectors: Left and right RCA line input, and 1/8” aux input
- Polarity: Positive signal at “+” input produces outward low-frequency cone displacement
- Input Sensitivity: 100 mV pink noise input produces 90 dBA output SPL at 1 meter with volume control at maximum
- Impedance: 10 kΩ unbalanced
- POWER REQUIREMENTS: 100-120V/~50/60 Hz, 220-240V/~50/60 Hz; powered via detachable 2-conductor line cord
- Protection: RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn on/off transient, subsonic filter
- Indicator: blue power LED for aligning wave guide
- Power Requirements: Factory-programmed for 100-120V/~50/60 Hz, 220-240V/~50/60 Hz
- Cabinet: Vinyl-laminated high-acoustic-efficiency MDF
- DIMENSIONS (height x width x depth): 8.4” x 5.7” x 7.4”
- WEIGHT (pair): 7.6 lbs
- (2) AV42 Monitors
- Acoustic/Traction Pads
- Power Cable (standard IEC)
- Stereo 1/8” cable
- 1/8” to stereo RCA cable
- Speaker Wire
- User Guide
- Safety & Warranty Manual
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The first thing I noticed upon unboxing the AV42s is their weight. The shipping weight for AV40s is 16lbs. The shipping weight for AV42s is 7.5lbs. That's right--the AV42s are approximately HALF the weight of the weight of the AV40s. If you know anything about speaker, you know that *in general* weight is indicative of higher-quality materials, and specifically, better-built speaker boxes. The AV42s are slightly smaller than the AV40s (see photos).
Aesthetically the AV42s are inferior, feel cheaper, don't have the nice matte finish of the AV40s, and are obviously much cheaper in design than the AV40s. They look like knockoffs of the AV40s to be honest.
That said, I was willing to give them a shot, and since all the hookups (including the power cable) are identical, was quickly able to swap back and forth between my old reliable AV40s to the AV42s and compare the sound quality side-by-side. That said, writing reviews of how speakers sound is inherently subjective, so YMMV.
I found the AV42s to have MUCH lower sound quality than my AV42s. They're a bit pitchy in the high notes, and far too warm or bright. They don't have the depth of sound that the AV40s generate, and perform like inferior, cheaper products. That's because they are--it's clear M-Audio cut corners with these AV42s and release speakers that don't have nearly the same build or sound quality.
Which is a huge shame, because the AV40s are stellar, inexpensive desktop speakers that I truly love. I had hopes these AV42s might be *better* than my AV40s, but sadly, they're much, much worse.
Another issue with the speakers: they ship with a very short 3.5mm to LR audio cable. If your PC is more than 3 feet from where you want to position the left, powered speaker, you'll need to buy a new, longer cable. Second, the right unpowered speaker requires speaker cable to connect, but M-Audio doesn't provide any speaker cable in the box. Which means you cannot use these speakers without either having speaker cable on hand, OR running to the store to buy some. Is speaker cable really so expensive that M-Audio can't provide a nice, 10-foot length? No. So why not include some?
All that said, are the M42s worth purchasing? Not in my opinion. You're much better off getting a pair of AV40s (if you can find them) even for more money. You'll like them far better than these AV42s.
Final word: It's always extremely disappointing when a brand you've come to trust replaces one of their product with an inferior substitute. I would have kept buying M-Audio products indefinitely based on my experience with my AV40s. I'm glad I received these AV42s through Vine. If I hadn't, I'd be shipping them back for a refund.
The closest thing I have here to compare them to are a set of Mackie CR4s (50 bucks more than the AV42s) and the CR4s are overwhelmingly better. Considering how you can't turn the AV42s up over half way* without them distorting, they should probably invest less in the powering element and focus more on the quality of the cones. There isn't anything technically wrong with them but with this sound they are poor value at best. As such I won't return them, but my 5 year old might be getting some hand-me-down speakers for their R-Pi soon.
* Half way to mean, Windows 10 running a Sound Blaster Z with music from Google Music. Browser volume all the way up, Windows volume at 50%, playing a song like Shameless (Groove Armada) with a sort of constant base sound... then turning up the knob on the AV42s they start distorting about half way up to the point where
A number of reviews mentioned that there was no speaker cable included. However, M-Audio corrected that problem, as I received mine with three cables that I didn't need but was happy to receive. A speaker cable, rca adaptor to 3.5 mm and a straight 3.5mm cable.
The only complaint I have is that there is definitely a low hum that bleeds through when the speakers are idle. However, when that happens I just turn the speaker off. Also, the switch is located in the back of the speaker, kinda annoying.
The heavier, older, AV40 are generally better, I like the protected speaker cones, safe behind a grille. But one thing better about the AV42s is that they don't get hot to the touch like the AV40s.