Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 80 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 110 reviews
on March 12, 2016
Just got it today -- 2 days ahead of schedule which was pretty damn nice, I must say! Everything seems to be in working order so far, I've been playing it on my old PS2 and everything works great so far. It turned on right away and there's been nothing along the lines of audio or visual interference or problems. I think I can easily say that it was worth the money.
on October 15, 2011
So I was tired of switching cables composite/component cables at the back of my PS3 to alternately switch between an older, Sony CRT VEGA TV (which still has a spectacular picture btw) and to a projection system using a component cable... so I ordered this universal cable to avoid swapping connectors at the PS3. Why would anyone do such a thing? Simple, I'm not always in the mood for a giant gaming experience and it avoids using precious projector bulb life 'cause they ain't cheap.

The cable works perfectly for this purpose on the PS3. Both composite and component connections are routed in the cable and both work with the selector switch on HDTV (PS3 in NTSC mode). To define the ultimate in laziness, I no longer have to leave the couch to switch between the two... it's just a menu setting change on the PS3. All routing passes through my AV receiver so I don't even have to change the input selection on the receiver. I could route component signals to the TV as well but I'd have to have a buffered video signal box to split the receiver's component output while not degrading the signal to the projector. Not to mention the TV is natively only NTSC resolution anyway even though it does have a component input (a complete waste). I could go into greater detail about video formats but seems like overkill just talking about a cable.

Since the universal cable is also supposed to work with the Wii, I thought I'd plug that in too. Users should take caution when attempting to turn on two devices at the same time and potentially just plugging them in at the same time as all the connections are routed together in the cable which could lead to a video/audio output trying to drive another video/audio output. Probably won't hurt anything except there won't be a picture or sound.

I quickly discovered, however, that the composite signal for the Wii with the selector on HDTV does not output anything on composite. I would guess that the Wii console needs to detect a pin on the cable to switch video modes... can't run both outputs at the same time but is that really important for most users? :)

I did not test the cable with a 360 but I will say I'm impressed that the 360 connector appears to have the optical audio converter built in like the Microsoft branded component cable. I see that at the time of writing the MS component cable for 360 costs a little less than this universal cable. Chances are it's the same as the Wii in that the console needs to detect a pin on the cable to switch video modes so the component/composite can't be used simultaneously.

Basically, cable works exactly as I was hoping for my PS3 :)
on November 14, 2008
There's only one issue with this cable - there's a little hard-to-see slider button that selects "HD" vs "TV" - for using it to connect a Wii to an HDTV using component connectors, you have to slide it to "HD" before it will output correctly. When on "TV" you just get black-and-white output. There's no documentation anywhere on the package that tells you about this switch and it blends into the black color very well. That's the only thing you need to know about this cable - it works for me and it's nice that it's half the price of the manufacturer cables!
on August 20, 2016
This cord was needed to connect an older projector to an XBox 360 and a PS3. Followed the advice on here to plug in only one at time and have had no issues. Even while being placed in a cabinet with a projector and systems.
on November 29, 2015
I used this on my PS2 and have all the A/V plugs used at once, I switch to composite on my tv for PS1 games and component for PS2 games (you cant run PS1 games through a component connection unfortunately) its nice to not have to switch around cables behind my TV
on May 10, 2013
If I could go in the past, and do it all over again. I wouldn't have spent all my money on a separate component cord for the Wii, Xbox, and PS2. Just buy this cord! It's a 3-in-1. It can read an HDTV signal, and a Standard Definition signal as well. This cord works well, if you're having problems with the cord, there's a switch on the cord that you can change HDTV to TV, and if you have a weird color issue, just make sure you haven't mixed up the two red cords.
on December 30, 2010
The only reason I bought this cable was because I'm still holding on to my old CRT tv and I had just purchased a Sony ps3 system to play SSF4 but the texts were somehow unreadable. So I thought why not get the component cables since they'll improve the picture quality for the time being and if I don't use it in the future I can re-sell it to someone who has a Nintendo Wii or is in a similar predicament. Component cables only carry video signals via the three colored cables and are one step below hdmi cables in terms of video picture evolution so when using you must connect the red and white cables for sound and leave the yellow one unconnected unless your TV is real real old and component cables don't apply. Hdmi cables carry both audio and video so it's a simple one cable connection.
on April 26, 2017
Item received not as pictured. Was missing yellow cable, and did not come in a box even though listed as 'new'.
on August 18, 2010
Since I just bought an HDTV for the family, I wanted to upgrade the signal from the game players we have. We use a switch box to select the source (Wii or PS2) for the HDTV. These cables did the trick for both the Wii and the PS2 (which are all the game players we have with component video capabilities). The video is improved for everything and when higher resolution output is supported by the game, the video is even better. As others mentioned, just set the switch on the cable to HD and you are set. If you are interested in such an upgrade I highly recommend this product. I assume the same holds for the XBox.
on June 12, 2013
This is the cable that has a component plug that is thin enough not to cover the HDMI port on an Xbox 360 I must use both of them because I have to plug in my HDPVR via HDMI. But there is more, I also have an Astro A50 headset that requires me to plug in a SPDIF/Optical Audio Cable into the component cable and this cable has just that. Seems cheap (But whats new coming from MadCatz?) but it does it's job.