Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 154 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 223 reviews
on April 20, 2016
This is a classic. Reading the intro and Jung's very balanced thoughts and strong yet humble attitudes in his essay was something I certainly could have enjoyed years earlier. I am looking forward to reading the subsequent essays by the other contributers. I have seen the original hard cover edition with the coloured illustrations and pictures and although this paper back edition cannot match it, I am very pleased with what I discern from the black and white downsized versions in this book. It can be carried easily as a pocket book and the illustrations of often seen classic symbols can be easily imagined in color while reading.
on December 3, 2014
This purchase is one of several I found through Amazon as used books to make as gifts. All who are interested in self understanding and especially understanding ones dreams need this book. It is the gem of all dream analysis books. Dr. Ronald Cutburth, Ph.D. Management of Engineering Science Operations, Engineering Scientist, intelligence expert. I look forward to a reprint in a combination with all of Dr. Jung's books.
on August 16, 2017
This book is quite thought provoking.
on November 1, 2012
I had purchased Man and His Symbols for a dream analysis class I took last Spring, and without a doubt it was the most helpful piece of reading required for the course. This book was written for the common man to read and understand, and I believe everyone should read this. The insight this book offers is beyond our Western culture; this book stands as a set of guidelines one can take toward a life of enlightenment and meaning.
on August 8, 2017
must read!
on December 1, 2016
A known classic.
on November 29, 2004
The first thing that struck me when I first leafed through this book was that the photos, illustrations, etc. have a little bit of a dated feel. Once I began reading it, however, I was impressed by how relevant it continues to be more than 4 decades after it was written. Jung influenced a bunch of his contemporary artists, writers, and musicians, and continues to do so today. Ask Sting about where he got the concept of synchronicity, David Byrne about where he gets his ideas from, Delmore Schwartz how he came up with the quote "In dreams begin responsibilities", or Lou Reed how he came up with his quote "Between thought and expression lies a lifetime". The latter are just the tip of the iceberg upon whom Jung cast his gigantic shadow. Setting aside Jung's incredible influence on artists who are influential in their own right, this book is better than any of the so called "self help" books out there, bar none. In reading this book, you don't feel like you're being lectured to, but instead, you realize that in stressing the importance of dreams, Jung tapped into something people tend to ignore or discard, when in fact, dreams are a (not so)hidden energy and power waiting right before your very eyes (pun intended?)ready to harness and use to live a more balanced life.
on April 7, 2015
I discovered this book about the same time I discovered Joseph Campbell, who I found to be a fan of Jung. I used this book to begin putting some things together that I was looking for, and it is accessible to the layman in terms of language. A good place to start on one's inner workings.
on February 27, 2014
Somewhere, I have the original paperback copy of this book, but it probably is on someone else's bookshelf. It was worth re-purchasing as a Kindle edition, especially now as I'm working my way through the Red Book. This is an excellent complement to the Red Book in exploring symbology.
on February 6, 2014
This is a fascinating book that enlists help from Jung's closest followers giving us a view of Jung's great work from the point of view of the student. the depth of Jung's research is uncanny and his recognition of the uniqueness of the "individual" human psyche allowed him to recognize the play of the analyst in the analysis. This was/is a huge departure from the statistical viewpoint that most analysts took in categorizing mental disorders. In allowing the individual uniqueness of every new patient he was able to truly see more clearly into the underlying problems of the mind. Awesome book; in fact, it will have to be reread over and over because there is so much there.

Carl Bozeman