Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 19, 2014
I was issued this watch by the USMC in July, 2006 (watch built in April, 2006) so I've had it for 8 years now. Since then, I have taken this watch to 5 continents, multiple tours in 2 combat zones and put it through hell in training and operations. This watch has held up better than any I have ever owned, including Timex digital watches, Citizens, Rolexes, Bulova's and Wegner's (the Swiss Army guys). Because I got it for free, I felt no obligation to take care of it or baby it. Without a doubt this is the most durable timepiece I have seen, and I see a lot of different watches get put through the grinder in my community. Salt water, altitude, cold weather, dirt, dust, sand, mud….. you name it. Wipe it clean and keep on moving. I haven't had it serviced yet (I should, I know) and it seems to be ticking along just fine.

I only have two dings on this watch that have brought me down to 4 stars (I'd give it 4.5 if I could) after 8 years. First, the power reserve is only 24-36 hours, so if you take it off for a couple of days you need to reset it. Second, and more importantly, the Tritium is suspect. The tritium triangle fell off after about 5 years (filled with with porcelin touchup - the stuff you buy to repair chips in bathtubs) and the tritium on the hands and hours seem to have faded over the years. It is still readable at night, but towards dawn (8-10 hrs of darkness) I need to squint to see it and I have 20/10 vision.

Overall, this is my go to daily grinder. I replaced the original rubber band with a 20mm, 306L stainless steel band for durability and looks. You can get them for about $50 and it's well worth it.

I've never reviewed anything on Amazon and I didn't even buy it here but felt that I should so that other people can get a long term, honest review of this watch. I love it and highly recommend it if you can afford to drop the money. You won't be disappointed.
11 comment| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2017
I suppose the problem is with the ETA movement more than the watch casing, but it literally does not run. I must have over a dozen other ETA movements that work fine, but this one does not work. I tried to contact Marathon, but never received a response. On the bright side, the tritium works well, but would suggest the quartz version of the watch rather than the automatic version, but beware the apathetic customer service.
on July 29, 2017
This has been a watch that I have wanted for years. Thanks to Amazon, I was able to get one. This is one well built watch that should well out last me and my Nephew who will get it when I pass. The movement is still being broken-in so it is not running at its best right now. In four days it has gained 7 seconds, which "ain't bad".

This is a true Tool Watch that will take a lot of abuse. Our Soldiers are using this watch as are many other Countries around the World. You may think it is a bit expensive, but given what you get and how it performs, I think it's a bargain.
on June 10, 2015
This is a tough, workhorse of a watch that still catches the eye. The styling is extremely visually pleasing, and I have no doubts or concerns about the quality. This is by far the brightest tritium watch I have owned. All adds up to one hell of a watch.
review image
on August 1, 2016
Really awesome watch. Well designed and built with craftsmanship.Watch was delivered quickly and packaging was very nice. Only had the watch a few days. So I cant really say how well it hold long term but the people I have talked to that are watch collectors all say it is good quality and is built to last. The movement is eta 2824-2. which is a upgrade from the standard eta 2824. It has more jewels and is most likely a more accurate movement. I have kept up with the accuracy and I can say it has gained 2 seconds after 48 hrs which I think is really good for a mechanical movement. If you can swing it it will be a very dependable and reliable time piece for years to come.
on January 3, 2015
It's a great watch with excellent build quality. Most of all I like how its bezel is made and how the dial is glowing in the dark. I enjoy its sapphire glass as well, because it's almost invisible in the sunlight.

I have quite a small wrist, but the watch doesn't look too big on it.

I recommend buying a stainless steel bracelet along with the watch, as it makes it even more awesome.
on October 31, 2015
Could only be happier if someone else paid for it. Mine runs about 8 seconds fast over 24 hours. The crystal is perfect, the night lighting is awesome...I'm thrilled. And you can buy 5 of these for the cost of a Rolex.
on September 5, 2017
This is the largest of the automatic versions. It wears smaller than you'd think. The actual dial is small for the overall size of the watch. Watch looks and runs great. It wears very comfortable with the rubber strap. Since it uses tritium for the markers it doesn't require light to charge it so you can view it in the dark.
on December 6, 2016
Beautiful watch. Well made but did not sit well on my smaller wrist. If you have a bigger wrist then this will be a great watch. Fast shipment and good communications.
on June 21, 2017
I love it. This is my third Marathon watch. I have watched this watch for about 5 years. It is a little pricey but I believe it is worth it.