Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 45 reviews
on May 30, 2012
Ok, the book itself was well written for the most part. But I'm guessing people are going to buy this book for the certification, and that is something that this book ALONE will not allow you to pass.

I took the certification 8 months ago and failed. It focused largely on Windows Server technology; Remote Access, Active Directory, OUs, and Group Policy. So I bought certification books for Windows Server and read them, just enough to get it without being professional with servers. Then I re-read this book and I passed the test today, by 40 points mind you.

Microsoft constantly puts "Quality Control" on their tests, so the topics covered change from time to time. Maybe this book was great when the test was first released, but based on the table of contents of newer course-ware and the test I took, it's just not enough by itself anymore.

Personally, I don't recommend Microsoft certifications to people after taking so many of their tests. Passing the exams certainly shows that a person knows their stuff, but failing seems to be a problem of study material more than how hard one studies as other reviews seem to show. I like Cisco exams better, if you fail, it's because you don't know what you're doing.

But hey, if you want that MCITP title, and you have the money and patients, go learn some active directory and give it another shot.
on February 15, 2012
As a reference book, there were a lot of useful things I learned reading this book cover to cover. Most of the book wasn't dry, but the format they used to list relevant GPOs and steps to complete a task were a little difficult to get through at times. They seemed jumbled and not logically typed out.

I also didn't like that there were 9 chapters in the book and then 6 appendices at the end on everything from Windows Firewall to a more in-depth coverage of topics in the first part of the book. I would have liked to have seen like topics grouped together better.

As for the test...I read this book cover to cover and I barely passed my test (this was my first MS test; I've only taken CompTIA in the past). There were many technologies covered on the test which this book hadn't even mentioned. I understand that you can't be perfectly prepared from just reading a book, but I thought the tests I'd taken in the past had much better study books. I thought since this was a Microsoft book, the least it could do was make sure I was well prepared for the material the test would cover.

In short, it wouldn't be a bad book, as long as it was only a part of the study materials used. Which for an expensive MS book, I was disappointed.
on January 18, 2015
I bought this book a year or so ago. I studied from a pretty hard and went in to take the test. A lot of the test questions were different from what was in the book. I think the test has changed since this book was written.
on October 7, 2013
Tested on this materials and found the information to be outdated in some areas and just plain wrong in others. I think that there have been enough changes to the OS and the procedures that this book, which as far as I can tell has not been updated, does not adequately provide the reader/student with enough information to comfortably pass the course examination.
on March 25, 2013
I studies this book for 3 months and can answer all the practice questions. I went to take the exam and failed. The exam questions felt like I never even tried to study. I did learn a lot with this book but clearly it was not a study guide for the exam.
on April 13, 2012
I used this book 5and some online question banks to prepare for the 70-685 exam. The book did cover the material for the test adequately. Unfortunately, it has a lengthy appendix with several chapters. There are only one or two which are critical for the exam but the reader has to figure out from sample questions which parts of the appendix they need to read.
on October 5, 2016
the book is fine, but no cd. and no mention in the listing about not having a cd.
on December 19, 2016
Great book with a lot of good info!
on March 30, 2016
missing the practice cd which is really helpful
on February 8, 2014
Got for the kindle kinda wish I bought the book to get the CD. But kindle version is good as I don't need to carry the book around.