Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Star Wars movies on sale for Prime members Star Wars movies on sale for Prime members Star Wars movies on sale for Prime members  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

• Customer reviews

on June 23, 2015
I purchased a 12 month Xbox Live Gold membership for the first time on Amazon a couple years ago and I love the convenience. I typically use the "Online Game Code" option which provides you with a code you enter on your Xbox or within your Xbox Live account. This allows me to make the purchase and basically instantly redeem the code on my Xbox Live account. It's great if you need to quickly start, reactivate or extend membership without waiting for a physical card to arrive in the mail or without needing to run to the store to buy one. I also like using these prepaid cards or codes to pay for Xbox Live over paying with a credit card or debit card. If you pay with a credit/debit card Microsoft typically automatically renews it when your subscription is up. As a single dad I may not always have the required funds where they need to be when that happens. I don't like surprises and the associated fees that come with them. ;) I prefer not having a credit card linked to my Xbox anyway because it helps prevent fraud and the kids can't "accidentally" purchase something.

WHICH MEMBERSHIP LENGTH SHOULD YOU PURCHASE?
Xbox Live membership pre-paid cards/codes are available in 3 month, 12 month or 24 month subscriptions. I typically buy the 12 month and I'll explain why in a minute.

The 3 months option is good if you're on a tight budget or if you're not sure you'll like Xbox Live. I typically avoid the 3 month option because it costs you much more in the long run. If you pay for 12 months of Xbox Live using the 3 month option at $24.99 you'll pay $99.96 for a year of Xbox Live. For 3 cents more you could have purchased a two year subscription card! (Currently $99.99 That's crazy!

I purchase the 12 month subscription because I know we'll want. . . no NEED . . . Xbox Live all year in our household. The 12 month card saves me money over a monthly Credit Card billed subscription or the 3 month options. In fact if you're patient, I know at least the 12 month memberships go on sale from time to time. I think I scored my first one on Amazon for $39.99 which is about $20 off the normal price.

If you've got extra cash burning a hole in your pocket you can also pony up the dough for a 24 month Xbox Live Gold membership and take advantage of the discount it offers. I'm a bit too cheap and try to hold our household to too much of a budget to justify buying the $99.99 24 month subscription card/code. It does save about $20 vs. buying two 12 month cards but the $19.99 it currently saves me isn't enough to justify the expense. If your'e lucky enough to find these Xbox Live Gold membership cards/codes on sale you can always buy and redeem multiples. You can add them at any time and Microsoft allows you to stack them. I believe you can redeem up to 3 years worth of Xbox Live Gold membership credits on your account at any one time.

Since many parents/grandparents/adults may be considering buying this as a gift they might have questions. The information below should be helpful in these cases. If you're not new to Xbox Live Gold, just skip the rest of this review!

WHAT THE HECK IS XBOX LIVE GOLD?:
To any parents, grandparents, adults and gamers that don't know what Xbox Live Gold is: it's basically an extra service that allows video game players to play with other players via the internet. Most of today's games are made to be enjoyed by playing them with and against other players online. The days where you sit on the couch and play with 1-2 other people are pretty much gone. The sad truth is to get the most of their video games, Xbox One and Xbox 360 gamers need Xbox Live Gold. Xbox Live also allows players to access other features like online video etc but the main focus and benefit is online multiplayer gaming.

A word of caution: Parents, adults, guardians. PLEASE monitor what your kids are doing. Just like you shouldn't turn your impressionable child loose on the internet without any supervision or guidance, you shouldn't turn them loose on Xbox Live. People can chat and interact with each other via Xbox Multiplayer games, messages and more. Many games allow players to create their own emblems, logos etc. It should be no surprise that many people (adults and children) can't behave themselves. Online interactions on Xbox Live Gold are largely out of the control of Xbox and the game developers. There are rules governing the actions of players online, but for the most part things are on the honor system. Things ARE moderated to a certain extent but for the most part any disciplinary action is reactionary and comes long after violations of the Xbox Live terms of service. For example, if they receive enough complaints, Microsoft/Xbox will take action against anyone who is acting inappropriately. Unfortunately this action is typically taken long after your child has been exposed to language or images you didn't want them to be exposed to. Just know if your child plays online multiplayer games they WILL eventually hear adult language and sometimes worse. If you aren't comfortable with this do NOT let them use Xbox Live Gold. You can supervise your child, change settings to reduce risks slightly, but in the end you can't control what other players say or do.
66 comments| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 22, 2015
Normally I would not 'review' a Membership card but this one bears a closer look. Literally. Not because it
did not work. On the contrary, it worked perfectly. It is because it is from, or for, another country. I find that
funny because on this web page it says, "This item is not eligible for international shipping". Simple irony.

Except for the X-Box logo, name, and the word 'GOLD' on the face of the paper package most everything
else, that is in white and green, is NOT in English. There is a white overlay sticker on the section that has
restrictions, directions, system requirements, etc.; also the added bar code sticker is in English. (The bar
code and number were obscured by the reviewer.)

I think it was important to mention since some of you may be getting them and may not want to use them
for fear they won't work. The card worked as promised on my son's old X-Box 360. It has been about 4
days now and there have been no problems of any sort.

So you can take a peek at the photos I've uploaded for your own amusement and be 99.9% assured that
your foreign X-Box Gold card will work in spite of the foreign language. Aren't we just the bon vivant.

So 5 Stars for the foreign Gold card that worked as promised even if they promised in another language!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update April 2016: Absolutely no problems in the past few months of use.
review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 13, 2017
Purchased a 3-month Digital Code membership in June of 2017. I received the code within 5 minutes of finalizing my purchase. Entered the code into my son's Xbox Live account and it worked perfectly. These digital codes are much better than using a credit card or PayPal to purchase Xbox Live memberships. By using the digital codes (or cards) your payment information is not stored on the Xbox user account. I learned this the hard way when my son accidentally purchased over $80 worth of skins for his avatar (I had initially used my credit card to purchased his Xbox Live membership). Once your credit card is linked to an Xbox user account, it's a huge pain in the butt to get it removed (same for a PayPal account). I had to spend hours with Microsoft technical support to get them removed from his account. It's digital codes/codes from cards or no Xbox Live at this point.
on December 24, 2015
Convenient and hassle-free way to get a prepaid gold subscription. Got the code almost instantly and it worked perfectly well. I just copy and pasted the code on xbox.com and bam! Within 2 minutes I had a year of xbox live gold ready to use.

The only downside to buying the digital code is that it is more expensive than buying a physical card that comes in the mail. Of course if you choose this option (usually $40-45) you have to wait for delivery, your wasting paper, plastic, etc. and you will also have to type in the code manually (makes you think the digital code should b cheaper?? :/ ). So with this in mind the $60 you pay comes with a lot of convenience, it's just a matter of what you want/need. Either way quality of product is still the same.
on May 27, 2017
Just purchased for my son, he entered the codes (3 month promo code was in email as was the main code in a separate email) into his Xbox and they worked perfectly. I have no idea why there are any negative reviews, unless those buyers experienced "user errors". Is it possible people are entering their Amazon order number instead of the actual supplied code? (actual code is made of 5 sets of 5 numbers/letters)
Easiest Amazon purchase ever!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
It really doesn't get any easier!! Just purchase and redeem!! You can either redeem online or through your Xbox console! My husband and son both LOVE to play online so when I can get them a GOLD membership this easy, I jump on it!!!!
on January 24, 2017
Worth the buy if it is one sale. Next time, I will get a year membership.
on June 14, 2015
If you don't like leaving your credit card info on your child's Xbox, this is the way to go. I know of at least two separate occasions my card was charged to renew my child's Xbox live membership without my explicit consent-and on at least one of those occasions it was after I requested my info be removed from their account. They may have changed their policy, but at that time they required a credit card on the account to use Xbox live when you purchased a subscription via your Xbox. Xbox live is the last thing many of us are thinking about, so it's easy to forget to remove your credit card at the end of their subscription. And since it has been difficult to get them to refund these unauthorized charges, this is the only way I will ever purchase Xbox live for my kids from now on. It was easy and they provided the code almost instantaneously. Not to mention, it also saved me a few dollars at the time I made my purchase.
on January 4, 2016
UPDATE: The seller resolved the issue, emailing a new code and a bonus code for something regarding HALO - don't really know but my nephew was happy. ORIGINAL REVIEW: Got this as a gift for my nephew. The code had been used before. It had not been scratched off until in their possession. My sister-in-law spend about an hour on the phone with Microsoft and they verified this was an invalid code. Contacted seller 1/4/16 - hoping for a good resolution but it would have been so much easier if it just worked.
on November 23, 2015
I entered the code and it activated promptly.

Only thing that could have been better from the product-side of things (not the seller) is that there could have been some instructions on where the code was located, and how to use it. I figured it out on my own, but I could see some people being unsure of what to do. For those interested, here what you do:

1. Open the perforated tab on the back, and then carefully open along the perforated edges up toward the top
2. You should now see a silver rectangle at the top; carefully scratch off the silver coating; may want to do this over a trash can as it can make a mess
3. On your XBOX 360, go to your System > Account Settings and redeem the 25-digit code for XBOX Live.