Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: MICROSOFT XBOX 360 KINECT SENSOR
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on November 23, 2011
The kinect is a peripheral for the XBox, but it can also be used with your PC if you're a programmer.

It's fair sized, with an integrated array microphone, infrared camera, and normal RGB camera. Still, I'm able to set it on my fireplace mantle beneath my LCD TV, no problem.

What does it do? Glad you asked! Hook this up to your xbox, and you can use it to control some of your xbox menu's and experiences. For example, on my 360 I use it sometimes to navigate menu's. There's also a bunch of games you can buy which are controlled by you standing up and making gestures - no physical controller needed! My favorites so far are the Kinect Adventures and Dance Central, I haven't tried many others.

Some warnings:
- you need space to use this thing. It seems to like you to be between 6' and 10' from the sensor.
- You use it standing up, and it needs to be able to see your whole body. So, don't try to play with a table between you and the kinect.
- Make sure you have room to flail around. It's easy to get into a game and forget how close you are to that priceless ming vase.

If you are a programmer, you can also play around with the kinect on your PC. There's an SDK which lets you get the depth and RGB video streams as well as audio. Works great! You can see lots of videos on youtube too if you look for 'kinect windows' or 'kinect demo' - look at the more recent stuff. You can find the SDK by searching for 'kinect sdk download'

The kinect uses a USB port. On the newest XBox-360's, there's a dedicated port with enough power on the back. You can use the kinect with older XBoxes and PC's as well, but you have to use an optional power adapter that comes with it.

If you're interested, I recommend going to a store or a friends where a kinect is set up and playing a game or two. I bought one of these cause I was excited, but I'm too lazy to hop around playing the games so far! My nephews and my son love it, though!

Overall the kinect is cool enough to try out! For the prices of 2 or 3 games it gives you a whole new way of playing with the xbox. Now if I could just get myself to expend the required energy... :)
on December 4, 2011
I've owned every system since Pong and the Kinect is excellent and is intuitive to the point that I can see our robotic future and the Terminators will win (John Connor has failed us and Microsoft rules the world). The Kinect can recognize you and log you into Xbox Live. Games are a lot more fun when you don't have to hold 2 controllers, sorry Wii. Nintendo better either launch a next gen system or go the way of Sega. The Kinect is fun for gaming but I also use it to video chat with family and friends. With the growing Kinect game library and social networking the Kinect has definitely locked its place as ruler supreme. All hail the Kinect as you all know, "Resistance is futile".
on November 7, 2011
This is a great little device for the Xbox. Gives a level of gaming interaction that surpasses the Wii and Playstation. To use the Kinect properly requires a bit of space and the current game selection is currently somewhat limites but there is great potential! The device seems to have more capability that the software right now!
on January 6, 2012
Well first of all the only bad thing about the Kinect is that it takes at least 6 feet of room but thats not even that big of a deal. So this thing is probably the best motion sensing game-device ever made. The Wii and the PS3 have nothing compared to the awesome features, capabilities of the Kinect. It tracks your every movement and puts it perfectly on the screen. The games are not as fun as they could be yet but hopefully they will improve over time. The fun of this console is not the thing that makes me so stunned though. The part that blows me away is the durability. I accidently stepped on the cord and pulled the Kinect off and it fell 8 feet and hit the tile floor. It still worked perfectly after the incident. The amazing Kinect is fun to do with others and alone. It makes the perfect gift, and the perfect thing to help you pass your time and enjoy it also. My recommendation is that you buy the Kinect, because you definetely won't regret it.
on September 15, 2012
The technology is pretty amazing. The application is almost there. It's the future - or at least the next generation will be. The slight delay and limited "play space" is dissapointing. But over-all it's so fun and so worth it's price!
on January 6, 2012
ordered wrong item. took forever to get it settled. in the end i received credit for product less shipping. i guess that's all that counts. error was my fault.
on February 9, 2012
And it works well. I purchased this for him and he can't get enough of it so that's good enough for me.
on October 1, 2015
excelente
on November 3, 2015
perfect
on May 14, 2012
the kinect is the coolest thing since sliced bread. everyone whos anyones got one and theyre advancing more and more with this technology everyday.