MIU Stainless-Steel Battery-Operated Salt and Peppermill Set
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 2 electric mills quickly produce fresh-ground pepper and salt
- Pepper mill has carbon steel grinder; salt mill has ceramic grinder
- Exterior housing made of brushed 18/10 stainless steel; clear acrylic window
- Push-button operation; light at bottom illuminates how much is ground
- Each measures 7-1/2 by 2 inches; 6 AAA batteries required
Customers also shopped for
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
With this 2 piece salt and pepper grinder set from MIU France, you will be able to grind salt and/or pepper with one hand. Both the salt grinder and the pepper grinder are made from 18/10 Stainless steel and feature a battery operated electric motor that is activated by pushing a button located on the top of each unit. The salt grinder features a ceramic grinder while the pepper grinder is a stainless steel grinder. You will also see what you are grinding because both units feature a light at the bottom that is activated when the grinding button is pushed. Each unit measures 2" in diameter and 7.5" in height.
These two handsome mills not only grind salt and pepper quickly and precisely at the touch of a button but add a modern look to a kitchen or table. Both mills look identical-the exterior housing is brushed stainless steel with an acrylic viewing window-but the difference is inside. Since peppercorns are harder than salt crystals, the salt mill contains a ceramic grinder while the peppermill employs a tougher, carbon steel grinding mechanism.
Battery-operated, the electric motor inside each mill can be activated with just one hand, eliminating the hard-on-the-wrist twisting that many hand-grinders require. A light comes on automatically at the bottom of each mill to illuminate exactly how much ground pepper or salt is being produced. Each cylinder rotates to either a closed or open position, so that the ground salt or pepper can be contained and used later. The mills measure 7-1/2 by 2 inches, and each requires three AAA batteries for operation. --Ann Bieri
Top customer reviews
Anyhow, my salt mill somehow became inoperable just the other day. The motor wouldn't turn and I couldn't manually crank the metal rod used to turn the grinder. It appeared that a piece of the grinder broke off and became lodged in the grinder itself, jamming the mechanism.
I called the amazon.com vendor, who redirected me to the manufacturer, MIU France, who is distributed by Xinhua in Washington state. I got an customer service email address from their website and a phone number from a google search. I contacted them using both, leaving a message on their answering service. They replied to my email. We corresponded via email to determine which part was defective. I sent unrequested pictures just to be very clear. Without prompting, they offered to ship me a new one.
The mills are great and the customer service even better. I gave 4, not 5 stars only because you need 12 batteries.
The look/appearance of these grinders is nice, smooth contemporary design. I also enjoyed how they have a light that illuminates your food as you grind.
The quality of the grind left much to be desired. These mills have two settings, coarse and more coarse. As you see in the title, I think it's inappropriate to characterize these tools as "grinders"; "splitters" would be more accurate. Although some small specs of pepper do come out, most of the chunks were large enough to crunch when you ate them. This occurred on both "fine" and "coarse" settings.
If you don't mind coarse, rocky pepper, this is the perfect set for your home. If you prefer nice, evenly ground pepper, you should look elsewhere.
Still, there are a few annoyances:
1) They take 6 AAA batteries each! That's 12 batteries total. So add another $8-10 to the cost, and an additional $4-5 each every time the batteries run down. Hopefully that won't be too often, but still....
2) They're very large and heavy for the volume of salt/pepper they hold. What you see in the window is it. I guess that's not a big deal, but it just seems slightly deceptive.
3) The light is simply annoying. These things grind very quickly. If I hold the button down long enough for my eyes to become accustomed to the light, I end up with 4 times as much pepper as I can stand. These are so quick I prefer to hit 'em in short bursts, which means I end up with short flashes that actually make it harder to see what I'm getting. I wish the light had a switch I could flip to disable it. I may end up just snipping the wires.
All that notwithstanding, at the Amazon price I got the pair of them for, I'd definitely buy them again. They do grind great!
But a little fragile, you need to carefully remove the parts to put addicional salt/pepper.
People that want to use for cooking (not only serving) and cooks a lot I recommend think twice to buy this product because the container for the salt/pepper are very smal and it uses a lot of batteries. This is good for serving and impress all your guests.
Delivery was good and fast. But never order this product if it's says "in-stock soon", I ordered a second one because I want to give as a gift, and keep waiting for a month and the order was canceled by them.