|Hard Drive||10 TB Desktop|
(OLD MODEL) LaCie 5big Thunderbolt Series 10TB External Hard Drive (9000378U)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Shocking speeds up to 785MB/s
- RAID 0, 1, and JBOD support with hot swap
- Dual Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Customers also shopped for
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
With 785MB/s, immense five-disk capacity, and LaCie proven reliability, the 5big Thunderbolt Series is the perfect complement to a Thunderbolt-compatible computer for professional creative workflows. Thunderbolt power for today. Enough capacity for current and future projects.
From the Manufacturer
LaCie 5 Big Thunderbolt Series
With 785MB/s*, immense five-disk capacity, and LaCie proven reliability, the 5big Thunderbolt Series is the perfect complement to a Thunderbolt-compatible computer for professional creative workflows. Thunderbolt power for today. Enough capacity for current and future projects.
More Speed, More Efficient Workflow
More speed means a leaner workflow. Get 785MB/s* thanks to five 7200rpm/64MB cache hard disks preconfigured in RAID 0. With these speeds, you have all you need for any post-production work. Handle multiple 2K uncompressed 10-bit streams. And with capacities up to 20TB, you have enough storage for today and the future. For example, you could store all your project's raw daily footage onto a single LaCie 5big. Focus on your creative projects without the hassle of managing multiple storage devices.
RAID Flexibility for Speed and Security
Thanks to its five disks, the LaCie 5big lets you custom-make RAID configurations for your precise needs. Create a lightning-fast volume with three disks in RAID 0, and a safe volume with two disks in RAID 1. Thanks to hot-swappable disks**, you can simply slide a new disk into the safe volume without switching off the device.
Use the fast volume for use with Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere or Aperture, and the safe volume to back up your projects. No downtime, and no data loss. The LaCie 5big can also be used as a JBOD array. With five working days a week, you can assign each disk to a daily backup. Support for JBOD makes the LaCie 5big the ideal backup companion to your company's Mac Mini Server.
Daisy Chain to Multiply Options
Thunderbolt technology is the most flexible interface ever created. With dual Thunderbolt ports on the LaCie 5big, you can daisy chain up to six Thunderbolt peripherals together. That means you don't need to buy a hub to connect multiple devices to a single Thunderbolt port on your computer.
In addition, it increases the total amount of storage you can make available to your Mac. Thunderbolt technology is also mini-DisplayPort compatible. For example, you can connect a display and a LaCie 5big to your Mac via the included Thunderbolt cable.
Dual Cooling System for Long-Term Reliability
The LaCie 5big's advanced dual cooling system ensures long-term reliability by preventing overheating. The system consists of three key components: an innovative heat-dissipating aluminum casing, a Noctua cooling fan, and jumbo heat exhausts. For the enclosure, its solid-aluminum heat sink design diverts and dissipates heat more efficiently than plastic casings. Its ultra-quiet Noctua NF-P12 fan pulls heat away from the internal components while producing exceptionally little noise.
It also controls its speed according to temperature, which means that it works more efficiently while prolonging its lifespan. The LaCie 5big also has oversized air holes to facilitate airflow from the fan and reduce noise. All together, this ultra-quiet cooling system makes the LaCie 5big perfect for even the most noise-sensitive creative environments.
Perfect for Professional Environments
The LaCie 5big was painstakingly designed to integrate seamlessly into professional environments. With its small footprint and space-saving design, you can stand it alone or stack multiple LaCie 5bigs. Whatever the professional environment, the LaCie 5big delivers convenience and piece of mind.
- Computer with a Thunderbolt port
- Mac OS X 10.6 or greater
What's in the Box
LaCie 5big Thunderbolt Series, Thunderbolt cable, external power supply, quick install guide, CD with user manual and software (Intego Backup Manager Pro).
1TB (Terabyte) = 1000GB. 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending upon operating environment (typically 5-10% less).
* Tests conducted in RAID 0 with five 4TB 7200rpm drives. Speeds depend on the drives and RAID mode used, and average transfer rates may vary from one computer to another and from one product to another.
** Hot swapping will result in data loss in a RAID 0 array.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. Well built. The drives are labelled 1,2,3,4,5 and slides easily out of the casing if replacement is needed. The cooling fan is nearly silent and effective. iStatpro shows that the 5 disks are kept under 50degC even with continual writing/backup of data. My eSata external hard drive makes more noise and vibration when pushed hard.
2. The Lacie Thunderbolt cable is black and nearly 1m long. The length works well for me. Apple's 0.5m and 2m cables are either too short or too long for me.
3. Super fast. Using Blackmagic Disk speed test: 5 disk Raid 0: 612/625 MB/s for write/read.
4. Versatile for dual Raids (0 and 1) set up. I wanted to try CNET review suggestion dual raids: 3 drives in Raid 0 for speed and 2 drives in Raid 1 for backup. 5 drive Raid0 is risky and 10 TB is too much capacity for me. Why 3 drives Raid 0? How much loss in speed is there compared to 5 drive Raid0? So out of curiosity, I also set up 2, 3, 4 disks Raid 0 using OS X and recorded Blackmagic Disk speed test:
4 drive Raid 0: 545/550 MB/s for write/read
3 drive Raid 0: 509/526 MB/s for write/read
2 drive Raid 0: 314/307 MB/s for write/read
For comparison, single drive recorded168/164 MB/s for write/read. So, there is linear gain in speed from 1 to 3 drives, and somewhat flatter gain at 4 to 5. So the 3 drives Raid 0 is a sweet spot for speed, 500MB/s is fast enough for me to work on large video files. remaining 2 disks as Raid 1 for time machine backup.
5. LaCie should update the features and user guide for its Raid Monitor software. There is a complete lack of interaction when I open the monitor application apart from a small icon at the top border of the screen. Clicking the icon gives the option to open/ uninstall/quit. Uninstall? Duh? This got to be the easiest software to uninstall accidentally. "Open" will fire up a boring window showing the healthy raid disks in green color. Drives that are mounted but not set up in any Raid would not be reflected with green display even though the words say all disks OK. Green light is too simplistic for users dishing out a grand for a harddisk. Why do I need a software to do the same function as 5 blue LEDs on the back of the casing? It should be easy to tweak it to also tell temperature & capacity for each disk, fan speed etc. Come on.
The system can be formatted in RAID 0, (Just one huge 10Tb drive) two RAID 1 sets of mirrored drives or JBOD, (Just a bunch of individual drives) but the RAID system analysis software included on the accompanying DVD will only work with RAID 0. The instructions and user's manual included on the DVD are clear and easy to understand.
I agree with those reviews that say the LaCie hard drive is quiet. It sits on a desk shelf about a foot above my head and with very rare exceptions I can't hear it.
I have them on my desk behind my monitors. Very quiet. They wake from sleep very quickly too. I don't have a negative.