Top critical review
One person found this helpful
3 stars aren't bad
on December 7, 2017
Purchased for a little over $25 on Dec 3, arrived on Dec 6. As of Dec 7, it lists for over $31.
Main reason for purchase: My son loves trains and this is a cool tryout decoration under the tree. I like it so far. It made my son's face light up! Do yourself a favor and order a small pack of batteries and not depend on knowing you have some available. This needs 4 AA's and your rechargeable batteries will not last long because they are not the right type of AA's. The train goes around the Christmas tree as it should. I'm not sure about the smoke yet (just that unpleasant plastic smell lol). Everything seems to be working and I have no prior experience in train sets. There's a lot of plastic. I also suggest planning for how you will store this after the holidays. Make sure you have the right small tool to unscrew the plastic cover to insert your batteries. Enjoy it. If you get a good batch, you will most likely be very satisfied with this.
3) sound (and smoke?)
1) tracks: some of the curved tracks weren't perfectly flat on the ground. I tried to assembly them flat on the ground and added a little pressure to help flatten them out.
2) some of the paint is sprayed on and isn't perfect on small details. Its what you kind of should expect when purchasing 'cheap' plastic toys made in china. (the flea market stuff)
3) The MOTA sticker is a little crooked
4) The sound - it can be pretty loud and fill a room especially near walls
5) Smoke? Do I need to add oil myself? I don't know yet. The instructions aren't very helpful in that area.
6) instructions says that when turning on the switch, there is a small delay before it takes off. In my experience, the button is on the side and not visible unless you are on the ground staring at it or you already familiarized yourself with the placement of your hand and fingers on the slider.