Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 1, 2014
 Video: The train under my tree with the smoke, sounds and lights on (circle shape track).

This was my first train set so I just wanted something under $50, that will stay on its tracks and add some fun to the Christmas tree. This set surpassed my expectations. As someone already mentioned you can create a circle (50 in X 50 in) or oval (50 in x 70 in) shape with the train tracks. As long as your tracks click into place when you attach them and you line up the wheels of the train correctly, you shouldn't have any derailment issues. For those concerned about the smoke, there's a separate switch so you can have it on or off. Note, the smoke smell is not lovely but my husband liked it. He said it reminded him of his childhood train set. There's also a separate switch for the sounds and lights. If you choose you can have the train go around with no sound or smoke. Finally, the train comes with three empty carts that you can fill with whatever you want. My carts are currently filled with a miscellaneous Christmas items. Overall, excellent first train set I have no complaints.
55 comments| 218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2016
We LOVE this train! Wonderful price! Perfect for beginners. It works best on hard, flat floors, such as wood or tile, rather than carpet, where it tends to derail... The rails need to be connected carefully, but we had no problems with it on the hard floor. It works great, the sounds are awesome.
The smoke does stink, and I think it is unnecessary, but it does have a switch to easily turn it off. I would definitely buy this again.
on November 26, 2016
I got it on Black Friday sale for around $23; because of that, I am satisfied. If I had paid any more than that, I would have been disappointed. Train does not pull all three cargo cars, it can only pull two without derailing. Cheaply made, plastic is easily breakable. Lights and sounds are great, track fits perfectly around tree.
on January 7, 2016
Loved it it's just as described makes noise, lets out smoke very good price.
on April 28, 2017
I bought this for my 6 year old and we mainly use it under the Christmas tree. The set up is very easy, the tracks snap easily together. The train is awesome and you get what you pay for. Putting the train on the track is a task and needs sometimes patience. I would not recommend this for small children to play with and would suggest it as a decoration/seasonal toy under the tree or during Christmas time. Spend 10 bucks more and buy something that is easier to handle for childrens' hands and more durable.
on September 24, 2017
The little hook on the main car broke when I tried to connect it the first time after taking it out the box. But my son was so anxious to play with it that I taped it instead of returning it. The train kept derailing. which caused lots of frustration for my 3 year old and eventually me. He eventually started playing with it off the tracks; but the smoke stack and the light on the top are now broken. I think next time I will buy him an electric train.
on December 23, 2015
The train was larger and more detailed than I was even expecting! It was beautiful and a great surprise for under the tree. I will say the picture of the smoke coming out of the train is a tad exaduration but it still is very cool! Beyond happy. Quick shipping. Beautiful packaging.
on December 27, 2016
My son likes the train but it doesn't always turn off when you turn it off. When you put it in the off position when your done playing is keeps going. I have to keep turning it on and off until it stays off. Also you cant really see the smoke on it. But you can definitely smell it. I have to cut it off after a little while. Bad smelling. But he still likes to play with it. Santa brought him what he asked for.
on October 31, 2016
I bought this train for my sons first Christmas and I am too happy with this train set. When the train rolls by itself it goes really slow. If you add the trailers it won't hardly go at all. There is no smoke at all. I wouldn't recommend buying this train set.
on December 26, 2016
I just purchased this train set for my 2.5 year old grandson and he LOVES it!! Very authentic train whistle, lots of lights, and just a drop of mineral oil makes steam appear. My grandson is a very spoilt little boy and he received LOTS of presents for Christmas (2016) - but THIS is the only one he wanted to play with!!