Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 1, 2014
 Video: The train under my tree with the smoke, sounds and lights on (circle shape track).

This was my first train set so I just wanted something under $50, that will stay on its tracks and add some fun to the Christmas tree. This set surpassed my expectations. As someone already mentioned you can create a circle (50 in X 50 in) or oval (50 in x 70 in) shape with the train tracks. As long as your tracks click into place when you attach them and you line up the wheels of the train correctly, you shouldn't have any derailment issues. For those concerned about the smoke, there's a separate switch so you can have it on or off. Note, the smoke smell is not lovely but my husband liked it. He said it reminded him of his childhood train set. There's also a separate switch for the sounds and lights. If you choose you can have the train go around with no sound or smoke. Finally, the train comes with three empty carts that you can fill with whatever you want. My carts are currently filled with a miscellaneous Christmas items. Overall, excellent first train set I have no complaints.
55 comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2016
We LOVE this train! Wonderful price! Perfect for beginners. It works best on hard, flat floors, such as wood or tile, rather than carpet, where it tends to derail... The rails need to be connected carefully, but we had no problems with it on the hard floor. It works great, the sounds are awesome.
The smoke does stink, and I think it is unnecessary, but it does have a switch to easily turn it off. I would definitely buy this again.
on April 17, 2016
We have a 8' tall Christmas tree that is pretty standard in terms of width. The train tracks fits perfectly around the tree. The tracks were easy to attach and have a few extra pieces to allow you to somewhat customize the track. The train is made of light metal and plastic. The colors are vibrant and beautiful. The train makes train sounds and also blows steam as advertised. You will need to purchase some mineral oil to use the steam feature. My one year old son loves this! He was amazed!!
on November 27, 2016
The train did not start at first. After checking the batteries, I adjusted the springs touching the batteries. By gently moving the springs I was able to get them to touch the center of the batteries and then the train worked.
I got this on a super deal on black Friday and for that price, it was totally worth it. The train is plastic, but it looks very nice. I had no problems with keeping it on track. The sound and lights are great. Note that you need smoke oil to make the smoke. I have not done that yet.
This is not a premium quality train, but it is definitely nice.
on December 4, 2016
Save your money, this product is awful! My kids were so excited to get this, and the train doesn't even move like it should. It keeps stopping around the track. Very cheap, and not well made. Extremely disappointed.
on December 1, 2016
Bought this on 10/19/16 as a surprise for my kids when we put up our Christmas tree. Set it up 11/25 and it doesn't work. Can't return it (30 day return window) and MOTA apparently doesn't own a phone. They require you to submit support tickets on their website. A week later and I've received zero response. Don't buy this brand!
on December 4, 2015
I just recently purchased this train for Christmas of 2015, and have had a few days to play around with it.

I thought I would address a few of the common questions, likes/dislikes that I have noticed people asking about.

Common Questions:

-Does the train Emit Smoke / Light Up / Make Sounds? Yes, out of the box it does emit smoke (albeit rather wispy thin puffs), The front headlights do light up, and it makes several distinct sounds on a 20 second loop. (Train whistle, train chugging on tracks, crossing bell)

-Are there different settings for the train? Yes, there are actually switches for that on both sides of the train. One has a switch to turn the smoke function on and off, and then a three setting switch for movement with sound and lights, just movement, and then completely off.

-Does the smoke really smell that bad? Well, it IS burning mineral oil, so it doesn't exactly smell like sunshine and rainbows...However, sitting right next to it after running it for 15 to 20 minutes didn't "Smell up the entire room" as most would claim. But honestly, for the tiny puffs of smoke you actually get, it really isn't worth running with the smoke switch on. I leave it turned off to have the batteries last longer and so I don't have to worry about burning the house down.

-Is the train a decent size, or is it really small? For the money you pay, it is actually bigger than I thought it would be. Engine it about 10 to 11 inches tall, and the attachable cars are each 6 to 8 inches tall. However, as they are fairly large for the relatively cheap price you paid that means that the materials used are likely rather flimsy. Not disappointingly so, as it looks rather nice and doesn't feel too cheap, but it would certainly not survive a drop or a rough play session.

Likes / Dislikes:

I really like the overall size and quality for the fairly cheap price that I paid. Is it a train that will last more than a few years? likely not, but it will provide me amusement until I upgrade to a higher quality model.

I am pleased that the train has a silent running mode, and a no-smoke mode. I just wish the silent mode ran with lights still, rather than turning off both lights AND sound.

MOTA provided a fair amount of track to use with this model, and should cover a standard circle around any Christmas tree, or a fairly large oval when using the included straight run track pieces. Just be careful to place the track on a hard surface or reasonably firm carpet. The track is rather fragile and would not survive being stepped on. It would not bend, it would simply snap in half.

My cat is very amused by this train. He slowly follows behind it, for hours, as it goes around and around the tree. Sometimes he waits in ambush for it, only to lose his nerve as the headlights round the corner. I have also caught him cuddling the train engine when it is turned off at night. I am sure their wedding will be soon.

The train circles the track rather slowly, taking a full 23 seconds to circle the entirety of my tree. While I am pleased with the train, my wife literally said "does it have a faster setting?"

I wish the train audio only had the train whistle and track chugga-chugga sounds. The crossing alarm portion of it is rather loud. It is actually much louder than the other sections of the audio and will slowly drive you crazy if you leave it on for too long. (The whole audio repeats every 20 seconds) I would have loved to read a book on a nearby couch, with the soft train whistle and chugga-chugga in the background...Instead I show the train off to people, or entertain the cat with it, and then turn it on silent mode for the rest of the time.

The train is fairly easy to derail, and needs to be weighed down slightly to compensate. I put several small little action figures or plastic statues on the back cars to help weigh the cars down. Nothing too heavy as the train will not actually run with too much weight, but heavy enough to maintain contact with the rails. Properly weighted the train stays on it's tracks with no issues. However, you will de-track your engine car 50% of the time you try to turn the switches on and off. (That's the nature of a cheaper train set, there are no rail clamps or any mechanism to keep the train on the track other than gravity)

For the smell that it makes, I was hoping for larger puffs of smoke to happen. I have seen better results with the trains that puff water vapor instead of smoke. I usually run the train with the smoke settings turned off.

Overview:

Nice little train for the price you pay, but will not last you more than a couple years. (Even less if you have pets or kids who are too rough with it)
If you want a train for your tree, but are unwilling to spend 100 dollars+ to get a premium train, this is definitely one of your better choices. At this price range, there really aren't many better options.
on January 8, 2017
I paid a little under $35 for this train. It's worth about $10.99. My train-crazed 2.5 year-old grandson enjoys this train but it is a CONSTANT source of frustration for grandma! The smoke didn't work on Christmas morning or for the week following. Then a few days ago it decided to function and it smells horrible and you can barely see the smoke. My grandson and I have decided the smoke ... is broke! With the aid of a bread tie/twisty, I was able to keep one car attached to the engine. The dang thing just won't stay hooked up. I think we have had all the cars attached to the engine and staying on the tracks for a total of 60 seconds! Even with just one car you can't keep it on the tracks. If you take a deep breath and calm yourself for the 30th time in a day, get on the floor, CAREFULLY line the engine wheels up with a straight section of the track and gently turn it on, it will actually go around the track several times before it derails for the 31st time in a day. I don't like writing negative reviews but this train is a mess. I don't think I would give it even two stars if my grandson didn't enjoy it. If it lasts until the 4th of July, I will feel I got my $35 worth. I just hope Grandma's patience hold up until we can get outside to play again and this train can be demoted in importance.
on December 25, 2016
Thought my 2 year old would love this set for Christmas. At first glance, it looked really nice and I thought I had totally scored. But then I assembled it andtried to play with it. Here's the problems:

1 - there are no instructions, which okay yea, it's self-explanatory how to set it up, but I still think a little instruction booklet for troubleshooting, etc. would be helpful
2 - the TRAIN WILL NOT STAY ON THE TRACKS. Any slight bump and the whole thing de-rails and it's hard to get it back on
3 - The motor is unpredictable and I couldn't get it to work - only worked once then just made a bunch of noise and wouldn't go around anymore
4 - The "smoke" coming out has to be carcinogenic, as it smells like burnt plastic
5 - The noise/sound is SUPER LOUD and I couldn't figure out a way to turn it off.

After about 20 minutes of dinking around and getting super frustrated, we decided to just return it (partially because it didn't work) and partially because it was just not user friendly...especially for a young boy whom this is meant for.
on December 15, 2016
Very nice train set. It is for looking at more than playing with but my 3 year old Grandson picks it up and gets it back on the tracks with very little issues. The smoke is cool but it does smell so we don't have it on that much. It takes four double A batteries that last about 4 hours of continuous running. We have a train that runs close to our farm and this has the exact same sounds except for the old style whistle. We will only use it at Christmas time so it's perfect for us. The only drawback is the tiny side pipes are not strong so you need to be aware of that when you pick it up.
review image