Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 1, 2014
 Video: The train under my tree with the smoke, sounds and lights on (circle shape track).

This was my first train set so I just wanted something under $50, that will stay on its tracks and add some fun to the Christmas tree. This set surpassed my expectations. As someone already mentioned you can create a circle (50 in X 50 in) or oval (50 in x 70 in) shape with the train tracks. As long as your tracks click into place when you attach them and you line up the wheels of the train correctly, you shouldn't have any derailment issues. For those concerned about the smoke, there's a separate switch so you can have it on or off. Note, the smoke smell is not lovely but my husband liked it. He said it reminded him of his childhood train set. There's also a separate switch for the sounds and lights. If you choose you can have the train go around with no sound or smoke. Finally, the train comes with three empty carts that you can fill with whatever you want. My carts are currently filled with a miscellaneous Christmas items. Overall, excellent first train set I have no complaints.
55 comments| 263 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 24, 2016
We LOVE this train! Wonderful price! Perfect for beginners. It works best on hard, flat floors, such as wood or tile, rather than carpet, where it tends to derail... The rails need to be connected carefully, but we had no problems with it on the hard floor. It works great, the sounds are awesome.
The smoke does stink, and I think it is unnecessary, but it does have a switch to easily turn it off. I would definitely buy this again.
0Comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2017
Generally speaking, this train is a good product. It has a lot of details compared to a real old train.

I have two negative observations:
1. The whole train is flimsy. When you touch it, you will get afraid of breaking it. Specially the little parts that make the train work like the hook where you connect the train to the carts.
2. There is smoke but is almost imperceptible. It is not as much smoke like they lead you to believe in the picture.
on December 27, 2016
Great looking train with cute sounds. Got it to go around our Christmas tree. But, falls off the track easily- though we do have it on top of a thin/flat tree skirt, it should be made to better hold onto its track to prevent derailing. Very frustrating for us and our 5 year old!
on December 30, 2015
Works great! The smoke option is a bit smelly but you can just turn that off if it bothers you. The sound option is very exciting for my 2 year old but to loud for me. I can't change the volume on the sound however you can turn off the sound option which is nice. I wish I could turn down the sound because my son loves it but I can't stand how loud it is. I have had this running around our Christmas tree every day since we got it and I have only had to change the batteries once so far. It is made pretty well and has handled my toddler getting his hands on it a few times without any problems.
on March 4, 2017
Cute train and it looked great under our tree this year. It took a little messing around to get the smoke to work, but it did.
on December 19, 2016
Fun but very cheap quality. I wanted something cheap in price since it's our first train, so I didn't expect it to be great (especially with all these mixed reviews). Very easy to derail, break small pieces off, and there is only one volume for the sounds- loud. It's hard to even find where the sound is coming from to muffle. We'll use it until it breaks, and our next train will be a little more of an investment I think.
on December 3, 2016
Build quality feels cheap and the sound that comes from the train sounds pretty bad. The smoke that comes out of the train smells awful. I would reccomend looking elsewhere. For $50, I wasn't expecting much but I was definitely not expecting this.
on July 27, 2017
Nostalgia got me to buy this for under the xmas tree. Works fine for that. Battery powered only.
on December 4, 2017
My train arrived today and I was super excited to give it to my son in law for his birthday. We opened the engine and the smoke stack was broken off entirely. Then we went to put the batteries in and the spring that holds the batteries in fell off. Disappointed is an understatement. The cars and engine are very pretty. I just wish it worked.
review image