Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on April 1, 2011
UPDATE 1/16/2013: I just wanted to write a quick update. Everything I say below is still valid but when I refer to iPad in my review I am talking about the iPad 2, the current model is the iPad 4. Both the iPad 3 and 4 have retina displays which crush everything else on the market in terms of pixel density. Compared with the current best 1080P Android and Windows 8 tablets the iPad 3 and 4 still has 1 million more pixels. Compared with the Xoom the iPad 3 and 4 has 2 million more pixels. As I kind of mention in my review I like Android but I really buy tablets for the screen. I find that the higher the pixel density the better a tablet works for my uses. I currently use an iPad 3. I would also add that quite a bit has changed in terms of software and capabilities both for Android and iPad since I wrote this review. Again, I still feel what I say in this review is valid, but it is only valid when you consider the time it was written. Technology moves fast and a lot has changed in less than 2 years. Thanks to everyone that has read, commented on, and hopefully found my review to be helpful.

When I first got the Xoom about a week ago I turned it on and I really wasn't blown away. I use lots of devices, and my first impression of the Xoom just wasn't stellar. However, I could see the potential, and so I kept using it, I got some apps, I started to learn the interface and the depth of the features.

Sometime during day 2 of using the Xoom it really hit me. The Xoom and the iPad are like chess and checkers. When you first start playing chess (or trying to use the Xoom, in my amazing analogy) you feel overwhelmed and confused. You can't really do things smoothly, you don't understand the options, it just is not a great first impression. On the other hand, your first game of checkers (or using the iPad) is probably going to be pretty smooth. It isn't complex, most all the options and concepts are obvious and easy to understand and your first game is going to be pretty similar to your hundredth.

However, as you start to understand the Xoom (or chess) it really starts to grow on you. You understand what you can do, how to do it, the amazing depth and possibility in the device. While the iPad (or checkers) players are still having roughly the same experience time after time, with the Xoom every day of experience with the device makes it more powerful and enjoyable to use. In the end, the Xoom becomes a much better device than any of the competition; it just takes some time for you to learn what it is capable of and how to make the most of it.

As you can tell from the last three paragraphs I wasn't exactly impressed with the Xoom to start. I wasn't even sure it would replace my current device for most things. However, by day two I started to really "get" the device.

This first happened when I needed to look over and annotate a PDF someone had sent me. I downloaded it from my email, and was able to actually put it in the Xoom memory where-ever I wanted in whatever folder I wanted. Wow, that is kind of cool, can't do that on the competition. Next, I was able to open it in a PDF reader, using this fancy program (which I easily found on the marketplace). I went through and did what I needed (with an amazing free hand drawing tool, it was a snap!), then I jumped back over to email, attached the newly edited PDF and sent it away. Now maybe I just never tried hard enough, but I don't think that is possible on some of the competition. That freedom to download files, do what you need, and then send them away again. On the iPad apps I have used it always requires the files to be in something like Dropbox, which is fine, except it would have made what I did impossible without using a computer.

Another "WOW" moment came when I wanted to get some ebooks onto the device. Now, on my Apple products this is generally a pain, you hook the device to the computer, go open itunes, you go to a certain tab, and a certain area, and a certain feature, and if you do it all right you can drag your ebooks over to the reader. It was rather simpler on the Xoom. For the ebooks I had on my computer I just dropped them in Dropbox, then I downloaded them on the Xoom, and using the Xoom file manager I easily moved them into a new "Books" folder I made in the Documents folder. Fast, quick, and simple and done on the device, rather than on the PC.

However, what really blew me away was when I wanted some ebooks off the web. Using the regular browser I was able to just download them directly from the internet onto the device. I then used the file manager again and simply moved them to the right folder. This really did impress me, my tablet was uncoupled from the PC, I could browse the full web, download things, and then make use of them all without ever needing to tether to my computer. I was hooked.

With my new excitement at not requiring my computer to use my tablet I headed over to an Android App development forum. Here developers had posted lots of cool apps that were in beta or that they wanted to promote. On competing devices the only way to get an app is through the sanctioned and controlled portal, not so on Android (and thus Xoom). Using the Xoom browser I bounced around the forum, I downloaded beta apps, and then I was able to easily install them. Again, this is all on the device, and these were not approved apps, awesome.

Another example of something that impressed me came on my third day with the device. I was using the CNN app (which is free and tablet optimized, go check it out) and I watched a video of a story that I thought was really interesting, but it was one of those that is only a teaser, and the rest is on another site. When I hit these videos on my iPad I just have to try to remember to watch them later on a computer, because they are inevitably flash based. Not so on the Xoom, I typed in the address, the flash loaded up perfectly, and I was watching the video in full screen with no trouble.

This process of growing more comfortable with the device and learning what it could do continued over the last few days. At every turn I would find something amazing that just wasn't possible on competing tablets. I discovered the glory of widgets (custom little desktop things to show you the weather, or news, or whatever). I found some live wallpaper (moving animated wallpaper, that can change and adapt to things, such as the weather). I just kept finding new awesome features and uses.

One thing I want to touch on that is perhaps more technical than the rest of my review is the screen. I use my tablets to read, I started using ebooks a while back and I found tablets to work pretty well for that. I do most of my reading at night before bed, so the backlit screen is actually helpful versus a traditional reader. Anyway, one of the things that has always bothered me about the iPad as an ereader is that the pixel density (that is the number of pixels (or square blocks of color) in each inch of screen space) is very low. The iPad has somewhere around 130PPI (pixels per inch). It was so low that it really did give me noticeable eye strain to read on the device, I could see the pixels, and it really just wasn't a great reading experience. This was so pronounced that for the last few months I had actually been doing most of my reading on a 4th generation iPod Touch. It had a smaller screen, but a higher pixel density.

Anyway, the Xoom has a very noticeable increase in resolution and pixel density. With its higher resolution it has roughly 33% more pixels than the iPad, roughly 300,000 additional pixels. This is something you can see immediately when looking at any text. It is a lot smoother and easier to read on the Xoom. However, the other side of this is that the iPad has a different display type, that does have better viewing angles and color/contrast. In my case I don't really care, I find the pixel density to be 1000 times more important than small color improvements or viewing angles but I feel I should mention it.

My point in these last two paragraphs is that the Xoom is a much better device for displaying text than any of the lower resolution competition. If you are looking for a tablet to read your newspaper and books and websites on, then you definitely should give the Xoom or other higher resolution tablets a look. In my opinion the resolution on the iPad/iPad 2 just does not cut it for text.

Welp, this is really starting to get long, so I guess I should wrap it up. I know this isn't like the usual review you read, but I really wanted to give people an idea of the experience of using the Xoom versus just giving the facts and the breakdown and the comparisons. The Xoom is a device that improves exponentially the more you use it. After a few days of use I really can't imagine returning to the constraints and frustrations of the competition. However, on my first day I wasn't that impressed, so be sure to stick with it and get used to it. Now I am off to make dinner, and to accompany me I am going to take my Xoom, which is streaming live video thanks to the wonderful inclusion of flash, the competition is going to stay sitting on the shelf (probably for the foreseeable future).

I just want to mention that I am giving the Xoom four stars because it is not perfect. As a reference after using the Xoom I would probably give the iPad / iPad 2 three stars. There are still improvements that can be made to tablets. I really feel like Android and Xoom are on the right track, but this is still not what I would call a perfect tablet, it is just the best that is available right now (for my uses).

I hope someone finds my review helpful, feel free to ask any questions you may have in the comments.
5150+ comments| 3,877 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 5, 2012
I am absolutely in love with my XOOM tablet! I wanted to wait and get some good use time under my belt before writing a review; its been a little over a month now. This is an excellent tablet - after you download all the software and firmware updates. But that is also one of the BEST features of the tablet - it's upgradable to either the Honeycomb 3.2 or ICS operating system. Plus, the 32G it comes with is expandable with microSD AND USB connection - Awesome! iPad can't come close to the price/value; not to mention all the great FREE apps. And speed and performance have been stellar. All things considered, this is the best VALUE tablet on the market.

And the Seller is no slouch either. I got a World (UK) version cause I wanted it unlocked and the Seller even sent it with an electric US adapter (I guess due to the shipping address) with no extra charge. I was very grateful because I didn't anticipate that essential element.
on February 23, 2018
Be aware this device is very old, it was very advanced for its time, but is,now, no longer supported. It can be updated to android 4.1.2, but that isn't good enough for today's apps. If updated to 4.1.2 it will run a few apps of the app store, but not very many. It does make a good GPS though. The Xoom does not support the newish xenon chip, which recently started causing lots of problems.
We own two of them, my wife's is nearly abandoned, I keep mine running by fiddling with it all the time. There isn't a modern internet browser that will run on it. If you buy one be aware of all the above and more.
It is very well mechanically built though, but that doesn't help it on the modern day internet
VINE VOICEon September 22, 2011
I'm always baffled by the minutiae that people complain about. As computer tablets become more popular, the height of nitpicking seems to have moved into the stratosphere.

Like many others here, I churned through several Android tablets (Asus, Toshiba, then Xoom) to find one that I really liked. I tried to keep my expectations aligned with the reality of yet another new gadget coming onto the market. I don't have negative feelings toward Apple, although I refuse to pay the 50-100% premium that many of their products command. I was going to buy an iPad, and spent quite a bit of time testing and playing with both friend's iPads, as well as at the Apple store. It is truly sexy hardware, but the software has a toylike quality to it that doesn't suit my more geeky brain.

I have an android phone, and am definitely enjoying it, even though it has its quirks. I'm not religious about technology, nor am I brand loyal to any company. I'll try just about anything. So on to my opinions about the Xoom.

Hardware: Just beautiful, and wreaks of quality. The fit and finish is truly premium. It feels good in your hands. There are some quirks, like the cheesy charging port, that is destined to break. Also, the MicroSD card slot is about as idiotic design as I've ever seen (its like brain surgery to remove the "dummy" card and insert the real one). I like the on off switch location, it feels good in the hand when you pick it up.

Screen: Also beautiful. I am always baffled at how people complain about fingerprints... Its a FINGER tablet for goodness sake. You use your FINGERS to operate it. OMG. Yep, its a little shiny, so there can be a tad of glare when around certain kinds of lighting. But its really no big deal, you can just move it a millimeter one way or another and its fine.

Responsiveness: Very fast, especially now with the 3.2 update. I just like how things work.

Software: I actually think the tablet build of Android feels smoother and more natural than the phone build does. Its nicely suited to the enhanced real estate of the tablet, whereas it now feels cramped on the phone. I like Motorola's corporate sync feature, which works well with my Exchange server. The Google browser is decent, syncs with Chrome bookmarks, although it takes forever. Android market is getting better every week, and I really like Amazon's Android appstore

Functionality: It does everything nearly all computers do. The touchscreen experience is wayyyy different than the keyboard experience. I never reach for it if I'm going to type something, but use it for email reading, web browsing, and miscellaneous stuff. Games are decent, but not all are set up for tablet form factors yet.

Overall: The Xoom is great. Other than a couple of hardware quirks, its a stellar device. Android for tablets is more technical than Apple's tablet software, which is one reason I'm drawn to it. I find it extremely flexible, as well as very suitable for business use. Its like anything else, you need to get used to any new complicated software based product, before you really know whether you and it will get along. Android does have a way to go before its brainless like Apples operating environment, but all in all its really nice, especially if you like tinkering.
22 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 16, 2011
(Please note that I'm including links to products mentioned in this review so that you can easily read more about them if you wish.)

Some people criticize the Motorola XOOM (Motorola XOOM) for not being as thin & lightweight as several other 10" tablets. If you want the thinnest & lightest-weight 10" tablet, you may wish to consider an Apple iPad 2 (Apple iPad 2), Samsung Galaxy Tab (Samsung Galaxy Tab), or ASUS Transformer (ASUS Transformer). However, in my opinion, if you want THE BEST 10" tablet, get the slightly thicker & heavier XOOM ... all are fine choices, but I believe the XOOM is the best of them, and costs significantly less than all but the ASUS, which - although not quite as good as the other three - is worthy of consideration.

As a point of reference, I have two fast & powerful notebook PCs, an upgraded & very potent MacBook, and two high-performance Android phones (yes, I know it all may sound like a bit much, but it comes with the territory for the type of work I do), yet - as a very busy computer consultant who's constantly on the go, working one-on-one with hundreds of clients - it's the XOOM I use the most ... all day, every day ... for email, scheduling & calendaring, accessing websites, editing photos, note-taking, scanning, faxing, uploading & downloading files, running countless apps, and so much more ... its design, build quality, performance, and reliability are outstanding.

I use a 32 GB internal memory XOOM with a 32 GB Transcend microSD memory card (Transcend 32 GB Class 4 microSDHC Flash Memory Card), which is my recommended configuration for a 'premium' tablet ... however, any high-quality tablet should serve you well, regardless of its memory configuration ... if your tablet accommodates a memory card, it's a good idea to store everything you can onto the card, thereby freeing up as much internal memory as possible, which helps maximize the tablet's performance (the same applies to mobile phones).

As you may know, many people claim the Apple iOS app market has more apps from which to choose than does the Android app market ... the problem with this rationale is that quality is more important than quantity ... and the Android app market is superior in quality for one simple reason: Google owns Android (not surprisingly, Google also owns the mobile component of Motorola, arguably the premier manufacturer of mobile devices ... the ramifications of this are more appropriate for another forum) ... suffice it to say that the universe of computers and all things computer-related is a 'Google universe' ('Googleverse') ... as such, all of Google's apps are available for Android, and other app developers are, of course, joining the Google bandwagon.

So if you're unsure whether to go with the stylish-but-sinking Apple (which means choosing an iPad) or the rising Android (which means choosing the XOOM, the Galaxy Tab, the Transformer, or any of the many other good Android tablets, including the very nice & terrifically-priced 7" Amazon Kindle Fire (Amazon Kindle Fire) and the excellent & affordable 10" Toshiba Thrive (10" Toshiba Thrive) or 7" Toshiba Thrive (7" Toshiba Thrive), the choice is simple: choose your favorite Android tablet. (That said, and in the interest of fairness, the iPad is a wonderful device with bazillions of terrific apps, and if you don't mind overpaying to go the Apple route, I think you'll be pleased with it.)

A word of caution regarding the XOOM: If you're inserting a microSD card into the XOOM's memory card slot, be very careful to position the card properly before pushing it in ... the opening is large enough so that you can inadvertently push the card into the XOOM without getting it into the actual card slot ... thankfully, this should not adversely affect your XOOM in any way, and it leaves the memory card slot available and fully functional ... you can retrieve the mis-inserted card by opening the XOOM's case using a Torx T5 screwdriver, locating the card (which is about 7/16" wide), and VERY GENTLY removing it.

Another bit of advice regarding all tablets (and smartphones): Don't assume your device needs a screen protector ... most people who use them believe screen protectors provide a good defense against scratching the glass screen ... however, consider that protectors are made of plastic, which scratches easily, while the glass screen is highly-resistant to scratches (just don't try testing its scratch-resistance with diamonds or other known glass-scratchers, and your screen should be fine!) ... screen protectors also attract more dirt, dust, and fingerprints than non-protected screens, and they're far more difficult to clean than the standard glass screen ... and protectors can dim the display (even if just a relatively small amount) ... so why use them at all? ... well, if they provide you with additional peace of mind, go ahead ... they're harmless. Given all this, if you prefer using a screen protector, I recommend GreatShield Ultra Smooth Clear Screen Protector Film (GreatShield Ultra Smooth Clear Screen Protector Film) ... it's made of sturdy, high-quality materials, it's custom-fit for your specific device, it's washable & reusable, removing it leaves no residue on the screen, it doesn't smudge easily, and it's barely noticeable if applied properly. As with most screen protectors, it can be difficult to remove all the air bubbles when applying it ... but if you're a screen-protector fan, & you can get the air bubbles out, I think you may like this product.

I'm exceptionally picky and demanding regarding the products I choose to purchase & use for myself, and recommend to my clients. I thoroughly compare specifications, reviews, performance, advantages & disadvantages, price, design, build quality, battery charge, ease of use, and much more ... all factors tangible and otherwise ... it's well worth the effort, particularly because I rely upon these items as a demanding computer professional, and - just as importantly - because I insist upon providing my clients with the very best information and recommendations, so that they can make the most educated and informed decisions for their needs, preferences, and budgets. All things considered, the Motorola XOOM is - in my opinion - simply the best 10" tablet available ... and it's certainly thin & lightweight enough for most people to carry around and use very comfortably & easily.

(If you're wondering about my second choice, it's basically a toss-up between the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Toshiba Thrive ... both are available in 10" and 7" sizes, and they're close runners-up to the XOOM ... the Galaxy Tab is consistently - and deservedly - among the highest-rated Android tablets, while the Thrive's 10" version has a number of very cool features, including being one of the few good tablets - if not the only - designed with a user-replaceable battery ... technically, you can replace the battery in any tablet by using the proper tools and a bit of care & effort, but you may risk voiding the product's warranty ... kudos to Toshiba for removing this unnecessary restriction. The Thrive tends to receive mixed reviews, but I respectfully maintain that it's a wonderful tablet, and it's nicely priced. Should you choose either of these (or any of the other tablets mentioned in this review, for that matter), I think you'll be thrilled with your choice.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't emphasize that if you're looking for the combination of best tablet/lowest price, I recommend that you look no further than the Kindle Fire ... while somewhat proprietary, and not as potent & feature-packed as more-expensive tablets, its combination of quality, features, performance, ease-of-use, and price make it a flat-out bargain!)

Should you have any questions regarding the purchase and use of a tablet, or any other computer-related issues (including Macs, PCs, smartphones, apps, and more), please feel welcome to contact me at your convenience (i'm easy to find on the internet ... personal computer lessons in berkeley, ca ... joel).
11 comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 17, 2011
My Xoom is an excellent replacement for the 6-year old laptop I kept near the TV in my master bedroom. I use the Xoom mainly to browse the web when something catches my attention while I'm watching TV or a movie.

Pros - Instant On, Wi-Fi Data Speeds, Microphone and Voice Dictation (impressive replacement for typing emails and posts), Google Apps (googles, sky map, body, maps), Charge Time and Battery Life, Screen Resolution, Syncing with Email and Social Media, Video Streaming, Amazon App Store, Angry Birds (more fun on a tablet)

Neutrals - Internet Browser (has similar compatibility / functionality problems on some web pages like an Android smartphone), Virtual Keyboard (no SWYPE so slower to use), Android Market (not seamless and hard to search for good apps), Small Number of Great Android Apps, Camera (good resolution but same lag delays and lower quality of a smartphone camera)

Cons - Weight (tablets in general not just the Xoom), Small Selection of Apps Optimized for the Tablet

Wishlist - faster browsing experience with quicker loading times and full functionality, easier switching between apps, SWYPE for the virtual keyboard, half the weight (~0.7 lbs)

I also purchased the AYL Slim Leather Case which solves the weight issue by freeing my hands. This case is outstanding accessory. And I purchased the GreatShield Ultra Anti-Glare screen protector which is good for reducing glare and providing good visibility.
22 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 17, 2011
Simply put, this was one of the best purchases I ever made from Amazon.

When the Motorola Xoom was introduced on the market last year I wanted one but didn't want to pay the $800 Verizon price tag. So as with all technology, if you just give it some time the price will drop. Unfortunately Verizon still carried a hefty price (in my opinion) because they didn't sell the wi-fi only model. After checking the various retailers and other on-line merchants, Amazon had exactly what I was looking for.

In the end I purchased my Xoom for $432, with a leather case ($7), additional charger ($15), and upgraded it with an additional 32gb Sandisk micro-SD ($41). Thus completing my entire purchase for $495 (comparatively $866 at VZ). And since I live in a Metropolitan area that has Xfinity wi-fi access 98% of everywhere I go, I saw no need for an additional $480 2yr data plan ($20p/mo x24mo). You can do the math and compare as well.

I work in management as an IT Operations Specialist, so I get to test various tech. As a promotion, we received the Apple iPad, Blackberry Playbook, HP TouchPad, Google Chromebook and Motorola Xoom to test for Traveling Sales Reps. For a month we put each device through a series of tests, including responsiveness, versatility, compatibility with internal sites and customer web pages as well as the availability of supported apps from their respective markets.

Overall the Xoom prevailed, as we could easily deploy a packaged device with our supported apps (including Adobe Flash), and didn't require a valid credit card for access to an Apps Library. The battery life, cost and memory upgrade availability was also important. Another feature we liked was the ability to manage documents anywhere on the device. The only downfall was the proprietary charger.

All-in-all the Motorola Xoom is an excellent tablet for business as well as personal use at a reasonable price.
on November 13, 2011
I've had my WiFi Xoom for just over two weeks now and I love it. This is my first tablet, and my first Android device. Having had an iPhone for 9 months now I grew accustomed to how OS4 & OS5 both worked. But the Xoom with Android 3.2 straight out of the box was very easy to navigate. I am already an Amazon Prime member so I purchased Mediabridge - High Speed Micro-HDMI to HDMI Cable with Ethernet (6 Feet) and was able to Stream an Amazon HD movie right away onto my LCD 1080p HDTV. The Xoom has 720p definition and looks great on TV or on the Xoom screen. It is comparible to the Ipad2 screen but not as sharp as the IPhone screen.
Motorola has already confirmed it will be upgrading the Xooms to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4) a few months after it's official launch so this tablet has a long life ahead of it. I am extremely pleased with the Android platform. Unlike the Ilocked products, it is easy to customize to your liking. New Apps are coming out everyday also.
I have not had a chance to check out the blue-tooth capabilities yet but its good to know I can add a blue tooth keyboard and USB mouse if I ever want to. I presume blue tooth printing is another feature I have yet to check into yet but any peripherals I decide to purchase I know won't be as expensive as Apple products.
Some websites still get confused with the various Android OS builds and default to a mobile themed platform but with the xoom you can customize it to always display one way or the other, turn flash on or off,etc. Android is how I wish my PC OS would work. Simple, functional. This is the beginning of a long friendship!
on April 5, 2011
I received my Xoom one week ago, and have been rather impressed. I was previously the owner of a Viewsonic G Tablet, which is a similarly spec-ed Tegra 2 device, though without Honeycomb and possessing a significantly inferior screen.

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the device. The screen is excellent, especially compared to the Viewsonic. Viewing angles are quite good, and the 1200x800 resolution is fantastic. Honeycomb is great to use, and really does seem to be a good attempt at using the increased screen real-estate more effectively than a smartphone. There are a few nitpicks I have with it here and there, but overall the software experience is quite good. Most programs run fine, though there are a few out there that either crash immediately, or are poorly programmed on the developer's end, resulting in a sub-optimal tablet experience.

My favorite addition to the Honeycomb interface are the new widgets - particularly the email and calendar widgets. It seems like a rather minor thing, but if you're using your tablet for actual work instead of entertainment, having quick access to your inbox and messages can make a large difference. The two-pane Gmail application is likewise a big step up from Froyo/Gingerbread. The new notification system is also very appreciated for those using the tablet for actual work, though I think I personally preferred the notification system on WebOS when was using it.

There are a few minor gripes I have, however. First, there are the general issues with the microSD slot not working on release. I'm an early adopter and can deal with things not being at 100% when they're released, but I do generally expect minimal functionality on the hardware. More annoyingly, as an engineer, this seems like a problem that just shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Also, I've experienced a couple of troubling application crashes in apps that should be rock-solid (Market, Camera, Google Talk while video chatting). I understand a random game written by a third-party developer crashing my system, but I would expect Google-written apps on a Google branded platform to perform flawlessly - or at least not lock up so badly that they force a hard reset of my system.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the Xoom, but a) I think it's a bit expensive compared to some of the other Honeycomb tablets that should be hitting shelves over the next month or so and b) I'm a bit disappointed that some seemingly easily fixable bugs are taking this long to squash. That said, I was willing to spend the extra money to get the full "Google Experience" and receive updates sooner than anyone else. Unless that is something important to you, or you need a Honeycomb tablet right now, my advice would be to wait a month or so and see what other options are available.
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 12, 2012
This is a great piece of hardware and software. But it took me a while to get there. Be forewarned and don't do what I did.

I settled on the Xoom after reading reviews and getting one in my hands recently. This could have been the i pad killer had Motorola not mismarketed it. . . . but I digress. My journey to a great Xoom tablet running ICS (Android 4.03)

In February I ordered a Xoom from Amazon. Click, click and purchased. I paid no heed to Amazon's stated "Sold by .... and fulfilled by Amazon.com. What came was a gray market device in a red box with Asian firmware. It was unable to be updated to the latest and the greatest. And it didn't have a US Motorola warranty. I boxed it up and sent it back to Amazon. Click, click, tape, tape and off it went, no questions asked. Refund processed.

I then ordered a replacement. I double checked this time and it was listed as a US retail version. However the screen was cloudy and it was as if a puddle of water was under screen. So, I sent it back. Amazon to the rescue. Boom. Refund processed.

Good work Amazon, way to be a great customer service operation.

I re-ordered, as both of these issues were not Amazon or Motorola's fault. The next Xoom arrived in perfect shape. Unopened box and marked US retail version. After opening it up and inspecting it to ensure it was in good shape and had the right firmware, it was just a few clicks, then boom, Android updated itself. A few reboots later, a brand new Motorola Xoom Tablet with Ice Cream Sandwich installed.

----------------------
This machine is slick. Wow, what a difference a tablet and the new software/firmware can make. I have been an Android phone user for several years and I work for a major cell phone carrier. Technology is no mystery to me. But I wasn't expecting how nice this thing works. Super fast. Netflix works like a charm. You Tube is great. Angry Birds on a screen this big is really fun. All the app store and all of the "Google Play" apps downloaded quickly and the WI-Fi connected flawlessly.
-------------

Many other reviews give great advice on the shipper caveats, on the ICS update process and the pros and cons of the device and comparisons between this device and the i Pad. I won't go into detail there.

-------------

My main advice it so shop around. When looking at customer reviews, first read the newest comments to ensure the shopping experience is still good. Then read the reviews listed by most helpful to get the best advice. I always read the one star reviews, as well, to gauge whether the dissatisfaction is the product, or Amazon or an unrealistic expectation.
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse