Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
MSR MiniWorks EX Microfilter
|Price:||$89.95 & FREE Shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Durable carbon/ceramic element ensures safe, taste-free water-even with frequent, heavy use.
- Can be cleaned repeatedly for full filter recovery with no tools required.
- AirSpring Accumulator increases filtration speed; up to 1-liter per minute.
- Carbon core removes unpleasant tastes and odors caused by organic compounds, such as iodine, chlorine, and pesticides.
- Effective against protozoa, bacteria, chemicals/toxins, and particulate
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|Item Dimensions||14 x 10 x 8 inches|
|Item Display Weight||456 grams|
|Item Weight||1.01 pounds|
|Shipping Weight||1.59 pounds|
|Sport Type||Camping & Hiking|
Top Customer Reviews
The filter is very simple to use and has a good output-per-pump ratio. You never really feel like you are doing more work than you should for the amount of water you are pushing through, especially if you take into account the fact that every pump is worth about one gulp of nasty water that you WON'T have to drink. If you do see a diminished output, simply unscrew the filter housing and give the element a light scrubbing. We were taking water from a brown lake that is loaded with tannins and we would get about 2 litres through (about 2 full-size nalgene bottles worth) before we noticed the filter could use a cleaning. Tannin-loaded water is supposedly some of the worst for clogging these ceramic filters, so if you have cleaner water sources at your site than we do, your element-cleaning cycles should be farther apart. The water came out crystal-clear and almost tasteless. It didn't taste like Dasani bottled water, but it definitely didn't taste like tea-colored lake water either. Pretty much neutral. More importantly, it tasted CLEAN and nobody got sick. Also, the MSR Miniworks requires no chemical additives but still claims to filter everything but viruses. The chance of contracting a waterborne virus from a U.S.Read more ›
1. It is lightweight (I used to have a Katadyn, which is built and weighs like a rock), so it's not going to add too much to your pack. It's heavier than chemicals or some of the UV systems, but it's not bad. It comes in a nice little mesh bag, so you can stuff it into a corner of your pack.
2. It has a 0.45µ filter, which removes 99% of bacteria, and probably 99.999% of parasites (like giardia). It does NOT remove viruses, but unless you're in a crowded city without a good sewage system, I probably wouldn't worry about it. MSR makes a filtration system that adds chlorine, but for a North American or European trip, not worth it.
3. The bottom of the device fits onto standard wide mouth Nalgene bottles and canteens. I have several 3L canteens that I can fill in 2-3 minutes. It makes it easy, reduces spillage, and just is cool.
4.Read more ›
While it doesn't remove all the bad taste of the funky water, it certainly removes harmful bacterial, cysts, and protozoa. I don't believe it's rated to remove viruses, but boiling certainly will. I've used it in clear and cloudy lakes, rivers, and streams and haven't gotten sick. Definitely worth the money.
1. Super lightweight. I used to have the old version which was .5 lbs heavier.
2. I've never gotten sick. I use this thing all the time and sometimes with very questionable water...I mean...nasty.
3. Super easy to maintain. Get the maintenance kit. Really this thing should come with it already but it doesn't...so buy it. Super peace of mind in the field.
4. Very nice design. This thing looks cool. Some of the other MSR models and other manufacturers products look dorky. This thing looks really cool.
5. Good bang for your pump. You don't feel like you're wasting time with each pump.
1. I can't marry it.
2. The filtering element is delicate so you have to be careful. Don't let it freeze with water in it or you'll have a broken element. If that happens on the trail...you are in trouble.
3. I always have backup purification tablets just in case.
1. Get some coffee filters and rubber bands to wrap around the hose inlet. It will pre filter the water and extend the life of your filter element. A coffee filter is way cheaper than a new element.
2. In case of really nasty, wonky water...have a bottle of water purification tablets and use them properly. Also some powdered juice mix packets to help remove the purification tablet flavor if you end up using the tablets.
3. Make sure you bring that maintenance kit AND properly maintain your filter as needed. Take care of it, it will take care of you.
4. FINALLY: These things are a value at the normal price but often they go on sale so keep that in mind when you are ready to buy. As I write this (5/16/13) Amazon has this on sale for a GREAT price.
I hope you found this helpful.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A very good quality light weight filter that does the job. Attaches to your Nalgene bottle or MSR Dromedary bag. Read morePublished 3 hours ago by William P. Carlucci
I bought this after one of my scout leaders brought this on a hiking trip. After seeing it work, I bought one because we would need an extra filter for our High Adventure trip. Read morePublished 19 hours ago by Amazon Customer
I bought this filter originally because I like other MSR products and it fit nicely on my Nalgene bottles. Read morePublished 2 days ago by David
Seems like this is a lot of work to pump. The gravity filter is better in my opinion . Maybe in times of the apocalypse Ned this is all you have. It gets the job done however. Read morePublished 3 days ago by Angelica mendoza
Took this pump with me to the boundary waters for a week long trip. It barely worked. It is a lie that it pumps one liter a minute. Read morePublished 7 days ago by Amazon Customer
I have been using this for several years with no issues. I would recommend this product to anyone.Published 8 days ago by Amazon Customer
I recently purchased this filter for a backpacking trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. Having worked with this model before on previous trips, I knew this was a fairly good... Read morePublished 8 days ago by Amazon Customer
Excellent for BWCA canoe camping. Lightweight, easily pack able.Published 11 days ago by Amazon Customer