Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11 reviews
on January 8, 2012
This book is really good to view several hundred Mac tips that really work. Of the 300 and something tips, I found a little less than half appeal to me, only because they aren't my interest right now, not because the tips aren't any good.I think it's a good little book to have in your library for Macs. It's not something you will be pulling out every day, not will you constantly be leaving the book in the corner. I'd suggest my method. Go though the entire book and highlight the tips you find useful and implement them. If you are pretty technical, you could probably expand these tips for even more personalization

I would buy this book again!
on February 15, 2012
I consider myself an intermediate-to-advanced Mac user. I've used Macs exclusively at home for 5 years now, and have an iPhone, iPad, iMac along with my MacBook.

Despite my Mac knowledge, I was pleased to learn quite a few tips/tricks that were new to me! Usually if such a book had 4-5 tidbits that I could pick up, I'd stumble my way through the book and consider it a success. I am not completely through this book yet, but from lesson 1 (how to display the iTunes track and artist as a hover window when the track changes) onward, all have been practical and easy to implement. And it is written in such a way that (a) a beginner could understand, and (b) it keeps your attention.

If you're looking for a specific tip or trick, check the table of contents first. But if you're looking to increase your overall Mac proficiency and efficiency, GET THIS BOOK!

Jon
VINE VOICEon April 24, 2012
I've been a Mac users for almost two decades now, and I have written several articles about Mac OS X, and even I found useful tips, tricks, and hints in this book. If you want to get the most out of OS X, this is fun geeky book to read. Instructions are easy to follow, though the tips and tricks could have been better grouped together so it would easier for readers to back and locate particular hacks. Also, don't be afraid of the Terminal hacks. They really are good, and worth doing.
on August 15, 2012
I had just bought a Mac Mini that came with Lion, and was looking for a good book of hints and tips that weren't the usual everyday stuff. I got this book from the library to see if it was what I was looking for, and it was! I hadn't even read half of it before I went to Amazon and bought a copy for myself.

I think this will still be a valuable reference for people who have Mountain Lion. Don't pass it by if you've got the newer OS. It's worth it.
on December 27, 2012
I'm new to Mac's so it was helpful to me. I just became aware of the "kung fu" books. Some of the tips are known ones I've seen .. but others are real time savers and ones I've high lighted.. it's in my library.
on February 17, 2012
Mac Kung Fu gives 300 tips on Lion. Though I've been using my MacBookPro for six years, I'm still confused by AppleTalk in many situations. The jargon needs a glossary with drawings or photos of what these words mean. Mac Kung Fu uses the jargon freely and that leaves me perplexed frequently. Here is a short example:

"Tip 298 Invert a Selection of Files

"This is a useful trick if you need to select a lot of files at once, with the exception of a handful. However, it only works on the desktop or in icon view within Finder

"Start bu selecting the files you don't want to include in your selection. This can be done by holding down Command and clicking them. Then press and hold the Command key and use the mouse to rubber-band-select all the files You should find that the selection inverts--files that weren't selected now are, and those that were are automatically unselected."

I tried this several times -- not even sure what it was I was seeking to do -- and never had any luck.

Lion is sufficiently complicated already without a set of tips and help that are difficult to understand. For some users, the language will be fine, I'm certain. But for those checking in from a lifetime of PC it is a hard row to hoe.
55 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2012
I got this book in hopes that I could further customize my macbook pro. I am a somewhat new user, and I like to know everything about my electronics. This book provides a lot of tips, but 300 is a stretch. Yes Technically it has 300, but some of them are just common sense, or can be found out with just a few preference changes. I was hoping this would have more hacks than tips, but it does not. And, to make matters worse, most of the hacks include a disclaimer that they should not be attempted unless you have great computing experience (which I do) but, I still don't want to mess something up beyond repair, which is basically what they are telling you to do. Also, most of the tips are either stupid (make windows close super slow) or just make the operating system work less efficiently which I think we all can agree, seems pointless. The only useful tip I ended up using was how to change the time in between time machine backups, and I read all of them. This book might have been worth it if they charged 10 or 15 dollars, but certainly not the $35 the publisher charges. Overall, I'm not pleased with this book, and I think it would only be useful for absolute beginners.

UPDATE:
returned book after Author replied to my review with rude comments. I will not support him as he felt he had to try and praise his own book while never explicitly saying he was the author. (see below comments) Will never purchase a book from this author again.
44 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse