Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 122 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 136 reviews
on July 29, 2011
Buyer beware, especially for system builders: this isn't the retail install DVD. This is the "CPU Drop-in DVD," which can only be used on a system running OS X 10.5 Leopard to upgrade it to 10.6 Snow Leopard.
22 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2017
The OS itself is fine. & Amazon processing was fine. What is not OK is the built in obsolesce from Apple and terrible phone support. I was told by the "Apple Guru" that you could buy 10.7 (skip 10.6) and then upgrade to the latest from 10.7. Well to get 10.7 you need the app store and you cant get the app store until 10.6. So...yep waste of money. You need to "Step by Step" the upgrade, so fine I order 10.6. Install of 10.6 went fine. Go to install 10.7 via the app store and come to find out the OS is not compatible w. the system. Welll it meets all of the spec requirements. You call the Apple customer service, get a 3 hr run around for them to tell you they cant refund your money. If anyone is considering getting a Crapple - STAY FAR AWAY from them, they are not worth it and Apple gets you to pay a premium for their built in obsolescence. Buy a MS Windows based PC you will have far less headaches - and you can easily upgrade the computer. Best of all if you get Windows 10 all future upgrades to the OS are Free.
on January 25, 2013
I understand the business model of the computer industry... forced obsolescence for profit. I was forced to upgrade when a series of apps and plug-ins started giving me that jeering prompt, "BLANK only works on operating system 10.6 later," which I read as, "hey you, old man, get with it. OS 10.5 is so six months ago."

So, apple got my $100, and I can now drag my windows to a new place I never needed to before. I can sort and save files in a new and exciting way, even though the old way was completely adequate as far as I was concerned. I can link to all manner of unnecessary digital contrivances that keep the technology industry busy and rich. And those tired blue and gray old icons from 2010 have been thankfully replaced with new icons with cool 3-D modeling. Nothing made me loathe to turn on my computer more than the dreary flat icon for safari. Now that silver compass seems to leap off the screen in a way that deeply satisfies me. Thanks apple. Youre the best.
on March 27, 2014
I resisted the upgrade to 10.6 for several years, but running an old (and hence vulnerable) version of Firefox finally compelled me to upgrade. Because I have many custom command-line tools installed, I did an upgrade install (vice a clean install), and the result was more frequent spinning beach balls and slower app startup times—everything just seems more sluggish. However, the inclusion of Rosetta resulted in clean compatibility (I had no issues), and the ability to run the latest patched apps improved my peace-of-mind.
on November 18, 2012
Product was purchased as a necessary 'stepping-stone' for further upgrades that were needed to allow security upgrades to be available for browser(s) in use on my system. This particular OS is perfectly adequate for my use, but a further upgrade to Mountain Lion was the goal as developers of system security were no longer supporting/updating Leopard. The jump to ML was not the smooth transition expected because other non-OS/third-party applications used in Leopard were no longer supported and also needed to be either upgraded or replaced to even be recognized, including, to my great dismay, my system back-up. So, beware and be prepared to research (before or after that particular upgrade) compatibility issues.
on June 1, 2015
Was not a good day to find out my dvd drive was out of commission, but with a little cleverness (and a web tutorial) I was able to use the Mac OSx upgrade DVD to create a bootable USB flash drive to complete the install from 10.5.8 to 10.6. It seemed like no time at all, and I was using the Mac OSx update tool to update my OS to 10.6.8 in no time.
on August 19, 2013
Could not use the DVD because the motherboard would not accept the Leopard DVD. Microcenter charged me $100 to install Tiger OS. The cost applicable to having Microcenter install the Tiger OS, I could have purchased the Tiger OS in lieu of Leopard 10.6. I am receiving error messages when attempting to view certain programs. The G4 want a file higher than 10.4, which is currently installed on the system (I have 10.6 Tiger installed), yet, I still get the error message.

Attempting to understand the Mac community is very had, when you know the PC community.

Thank you for your concerns.

Regards,

Kalvin Tillman
kmtillman@pobox.com
on March 9, 2017
yup
on August 28, 2012
Mac's Snow Leopard is a definite upgrade that you would be doing yourself an injustice if you do not have!

My computer boots up and shuts down WAY FASTER than it did with Leopard, and if I ever do see the spinning beach ball, it disappears almost as soon as I notice it's there!

I never knew how much memory Leopard used to take up before i upgraded, but it certainly seems as though the developers have streamlined everything with their latest Operating System :)

I have been stuck with Leopard for the three year like of this Mac and, had I know how good Snow Leopard was before, I would have upgraded as soon as it was released!
on April 17, 2017