Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now
Is the MacBook Pro that much more powerful than the MacBook Air for every day tasks?
asked by BALZ513 on November 1, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 answers
A
c los answered on July 25, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you are using Adobe like Photoshop or Illustrator, especially complex and 3D work like Autodesk Maya, you are much better off with a Lenovo Y510P. This PC is much cheaper and is at the top MacBook Pro 15" specs, except it has no Retina Display-like resolution. This very high resolution actually drains battery, RAM, and graphics memory, so for basic tasks, you are simply buying two Windows PCs for one here. Do not bother.
Matt Eye answered on April 10, 2014

A
In my opinion and I did look at both prior to purchasing and the answer is 1000% yes. I had a hard drive slot which the air book doesn't. The mac book pro is a little heavier but not much. It's an i7 which is incredible with a camera and I love it. Minimal ports on the Mac book air. The additonal cost is worth it.
Simba4runner answered on November 1, 2012

A
In short no.
The difference is pretty small in every day tasks like web browsing, listening to music, watching videos, homework etc.
In heavier applications like gaming and converting or importing video, there is a difference, tho not huge.
I had a macbook air before my current Pro, and there isn't a huge difference.
The macbook air is actually much faster in every day tasks, unless you upgraded the macbook pro with an ssd also.
Warhawk answered on November 1, 2012
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
For every day tasks like email or navigate web pages not much, MacBook Pro us more like for 3D software, Photoshop, gaming, etc
Alvaro Torrado answered on November 1, 2012
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Chelsea S. answered on November 1, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I love my 2012 MacBook Pro! I have 16GB Ram and a 1 TB hard drive.

I run my Legacy software in a Snow Leopard Partition by using Parallels 8. I am running Mountain Lion for everything else!

I liked the options the MBP gave me over the MBA..... I am planning on installing a SSD and moving the SuperDrive into an external for occasional use. I looked at MBA, but loved the extra real estate on the 15" MBP and kept my options open to changes!
S. Romeo answered on November 1, 2012
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The last post hit the mark it all depends for what your using it for. You just need a laptop for regular web-browsing or e-mail the air would be a laptop to consider. But if you plan to do some gaming or programs that use more of the machines resources the pro would be the way to go. Also if you are going to carry your laptop around and you just need it for regular use the air would be a good choice because it's light. That's why in the end of the day you need to do a lot of research to know which laptop will work best for you, and as a pro owner I would highly recommended it.
Eric answered on November 1, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sure. The MacBook Pro is much more powerful.
billbravo answered on November 1, 2012

A
Yes. It can hold much more memory both ram and hard drive. It has more ports, and a dvd slot. But if you wan to go light choose air.
Hot Sheet answered on November 1, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product