Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Macally G-S350SU Hi-Speed eSata/USB2.0 External St..." and save 28% off the $56.16 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Macally G-S350SU Hi-Speed eSata/USB2.0 External Storage Enclosure for 3.5inch SATA HDD
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Drive enclosure
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare to similar items
Item #: Q43837. PRODUCT FEATURES:New environment-friendly, power saving technologyDesigned for all 3.5-Inch SATA I and SATA II hard disk drivesSolid Aluminum body for excellent heat dissipation and protection to your hard disk driveSupports USB2.0 (up to 480Mbps) and USB1.1 (up to 12Mbps) host connectionESATA port (up to 3.0Gbps) readyUSB2.0 transfer rate up to 480 MbpsHot plug and playHorizontal position for stacking, and space saving vertical position with standEasy-to-access front power buttonActive LED to indicate power and data access statusTwo types of stands are included Additional Information: Macally G-S350SU - storage enclosure - SATA-300 - Hi-Speed USB / eSATA-300
Device Type: Storage enclosure - external
Interface Type: Hi-Speed USB / eSATA-300
Expansion Bays: 1 x internal - 3.5"
Controller Interface Type: Serial ATA-300
Data Transfer Rate: 300 MBps
Supported Devices: Hard drive
Max Storage Devices Qty: 1
Product Material: Aluminum
Power Source: Included AC adapter
Power: AC 120/230 V
System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, Apple MacOS 9.2, Apple MacOS X 10.1 or later, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows Vista
Customers also search for: Technology\Computer Components\Drives and Storage\Hard Drive Enclosures Discount Macally G-S350SU - Storage Enclosure - SATA-300 - Hi-Speed USB / ESATA-300, Buy Macally G-S350SU - Storage Enclosure - SATA-300 - Hi-Speed USB / ESATA-300, Wholesale Macally G-S350SU - Storage Enclosure - SATA-300 - Hi-Speed USB / ESATA-300, 0701107488196, G-S350SU, Hard Drive Enclosures
Top customer reviews
- This was perfect for our needs. Once I got the drive out of our old Dell, it was a snap to put it in this enclosure. We plugged it into a usb port and presto - we had our data, plus now we have an external usb drive for backups or large scale data transfers.
- The enclosure looks good. It comes with a stand and two screw-in feet to stand it on its side, or you can lay it flat. It's quiet, cool to the touch, and just all around cool-looking. I'm happy to have it in my gear collection as an external USB drive.
What could be better:
- As the other reviews explain, this probably is not the best solution for a full-time or industrial installation. The drives aren't built to stack, they don't have a physical on-off rocker switch (just a software button), and the blue led is quite bright.
- The drive goes into power saver mode quickly when plugged into the USB port, which means it needs to spin back up if you need your data. (I have been informed that if you plug it in with the ESATA cable, it will not power down.)
- This drive only supports USB and ESATA cables, and only comes with a USB cable. If you want firewire support from MacAlly, you need to buy MacAlly's slightly more expensive enclosure.
Note: None of these were a problem for me, so I rated this as five stars *for my needs* - data recovery and occasional external use. This may not be the drive for everyone, but for me, it's a perfect combination of price, appearance, and function.
- The instructions were pretty clear, except for identifying which screws go where. The larger screws are to attach the drive to the enclosure, and the tiny screws are for the feet.
- This enclosure supports SATA hard drives, which is the newer format. If you think you might have a PATA drive (the older format), make sure before you buy the enclosure. If you need a PATA enclosure, the Sabrent ECS-U35K looks good.
Cons: Doesn't come with eSATA cable. On/off button must be held down for about 3-4 seconds to turn off the unit.
Other thoughts: Back panel is plastic but not flimsy.
Ease of use: Installing a drive is a piece of cake. I haven't had any issues with the enclosure scooting around on its two feet, and haven't had any problems with the feet rotating.
Noise: Uh-oh! There had to be an ugly flaw somewhere, and this is it. With a little effort, this enclosure can be silent. Out of the box, the enclosure amplified every sound coming from the drive. This wouldn't be a problem in a datacenter, but in a house, having the thing start humming, buzzing and clattering in the middle of the night when a backup kicks off is unpleasant and scares the dog. Putting some non-hardening plumber's putty into the tracks that guide and hold the drive tray silenced the thing, and won't be too messy to deal with if I ever need to remove the drive. Now, the only noise it makes is the click when the drive powers down and parks.
Aside: If you have a problem with undeletable files or folders, Google "Takeownership," which will lead you to a little program that after installation will show up when you right click on your item. Reboot after taking ownership, and your target file or folder is deletable. My problem was that the offending corrupted (by WMP?) file bogged down any scan (including WMP updates) that ran into it and brought my computer to its knees.
Also to echo what others have said, this is really too bad, because the enclosure is super cool to look at, and...super cool literally! It seems very well constructed and very sturdy, but- like dating an extremely attractive person only to realize later they're an idiot- I guess the surface things are irrelevant if it's failing in the areas of primary importance.
Most recent customer reviews
they work great--I think I have about 9-10 of these and none have failed.