Top positive review
11 people found this helpful
Best HTML code editor program for Windows
on July 17, 2002
This product is often overlooked with the myriad of WYSIWYG visual HTML editors out in the market. Homesite 5.0 is targeted for people who type HTML code by hand or are programmers.
1) Code Insight: As you type, a list of HTML attributes appears in a tooltip interface. You can choose one instead of typing it out completely.
2) Validator: It comes with a decent HTML validator that can validate against several browsers and W3C specs.
3) Top Style Lite: CSS editor to make basic style sheets.
4) Global Search and/or Replace: If you produce accurate HTML templates and later need to make a global change to the template, the search and replace is powerful. Search and/or replace within a single directory, a directory and its sub-folders, current document, or all open documents.
5) FTP ability: It has an FTP client that will allow you to connect to a remote server directly in side Homesite, allowing you to edit files "directly" (it really just downloads the file locally, you edit it, and when you save, it goes back to the server). Nonetheless, it saves a little time and money, if you don't want to get another FTP client.
6) Integration with CSE HTML Validator and Top Style Pro:
The validator and style editor with Homesite 5.0 are basic versions. If you buy the more powerful versions, they seamlessly integrate into Homesite.
7) Syntax highlighting for major scripting languages and HTML:
8) XHTML support: VERY important if you care about standards-compliance.
9) Extendable dialog boxes/custom dialog boxes:
You can use the built-in scripting language to create custom dialog windows for Homesite, should you need it.
You get the best value for the dollar with Homesite 5.0, so even casual and hobbyists can take advantage of it. If you must edit web pages visually, then this isn't the product for you. If you want to write web pages with attention to code detail, this program helps a lot.