Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 92 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 152 reviews
on January 3, 2013
I've used this book for years now, and made many, many delicious recipes - the tomato sambal and cilantro-mint chutney, especially, are favorites. This vegetarian compendium is a mainstay in my kitchen, because of a wealth of vegetarian recipes that don't rely on unhealthy dairy products and eggs, like the great majority of American vegetarian cookbooks do. Many of these recipes will be very spicy, and in fact I often use less chillies or chili powder than called for, but I always heap the tablespoons and teaspoons of spices called for - if I don't, some of the recipes end up a bit too bland for my tastes. Also, on most recipes I decrease the amount of oil and salt called for by 1/3 - 1/2; I suspect that Jaffrey has developed a stronger taste for salts and oils that is all-too common in the restaurant and cooking industries, although really not necessary to make a delicious meal. Try anything and everything in this book, and don't be shy of adding more than the recommended spice amounts!
on May 16, 2017
I do wish the great lady, Madhur Jaffrey, had embellished this work with illustrations and more photos of her vast vegetarian world. But, Madhur Jaffrey's distinctive narrative is exquisite and delightful, and if you never prepare a single recipe, you can love reading "World Vegetarian" for its radiant generosity of anecdote and delicately nuanced detail that makes you feel that you are in the company of a wonderful friend and mentor.
on April 19, 2016
This book is wonderful because it has a great variety of recipes for both the inexperienced cook(such as myself) and the kitchen maestro. There are more Indian recipes, which is not a bad thing, but I would have liked to have seen more recipes from southeast and east Asia. The book is organized by the main ingredient in the dish. I particularly love the descriptions of the ingredients at the start of each section as it includes tips on preparations. I have made about 20 dishes from this book and I am very pleased thus far. My husband who is not vegetarian has been mostly pleased with the outcomes as well. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
on August 13, 2015
Probably the most comprehensive book of its kind. Also I like it that it is arranged by ingredient rather than cuisine. I am looking for ideas for ingredients, so this is a perfect place to get ideas. Another book in the same vein is Arto Haroutoonian's book o World vegetable cookery. Between these two books I have found almost all the foods I want to make.
on September 10, 2012
Admittedly, since I just received this, I haven't had time to make any recipes from this book yet. However, I do own other Madhur Jaffrey cookbooks so I know her recipes are reliably fantastic, and this one has some amazing recipes. Thick as a textbook with so many recipes I can actually use and my carnivorous husband will actually like!! I'm Indian and used to vegetarian food but my husband is Latin American and likes meat, yet he also has started to enjoy Madhur Jaffrey's vegetarian recipes and request them, so I'm sure this book will deliver, just by reading through after 50-60 recipes, I found at least 90% are ones that I would be able to make just with ingredients I already have at home.
on March 20, 2016
One of my all time favorite books for veg cooking. It is organized by type of vege/bean/rice etc so I can find recipes for the particular veg that is in season. The recipes are simple and very delicious.
on October 3, 2008
This book is great! I am not a vegetarian, but love to eat most of my meals consisting of legumes and veggies. This book really fits the bill! I love how economical most of these recipes are. I took a trip to my local farmers market and bought several pounds of the beans, all of the recommended spices, and veggies all for under 75 dollars. I have a pantry full of items that I can use with these recipes.
Not only is the book practical and economical, but is full of information and provides a great foundation for how to cook, not just how to follow a recipe. It is like an encyclopedia in that you can look up the ingredient and find all you need to know about it and great recipes to follow it. Great find! I don't think there is another book out there of this caliber. YOU MUST GET THIS BOOK!
on October 21, 2005
We always have loved vegetable dishes but were running low on interesting ways to cook them.

Normally I would cook them in Korean way (blanch them and toss with garlic and sesame oil) or in Italian way (garlic and olive oil) but I thought there should be more out there.

So I looked around for vegetable recipes and bought several books.

This book is the one I go back every weekend planning the meals and sometimes I find myself poring over the book with equal intensity as I would read Harry Potter or reaserch articles.

The book is good for simple recipes that can be used when I have to finish cooking the whole meal in half an hour,

and is also good for more extravagant dishes that I take as a challenge and fun to broaden my horizon.

The quality of recipe? It is really perfect.

I was trying to reduce meat intake of our family and my husband was resisting, arguing that the veggie dishes are not substantial and all similar.

With the bean dishes from this book, we're having so much fun and wholesome meals that my husband compliments often and is happily almost vegetarian.

As many others review pointed out, learning about food has never been more fun than with this book.

This book is one of the best purchase I have ever made!
on June 5, 2013
This is a very comprehensive cookbook that includes tons of recipes together with extensive descriptions of all the common ingredients used and how they are usually treated. The recipes are well organized, making it easy to look for a specific one and the instructions are clear and easy to follow. Each recipe also mentions which country it originates from, showing the truly diverse set of recipes included. A sizable proportion (about 30%) of the recipes are Indian, which is unsurprising considering Madhur Jaffrey's ethnicity but also because India has the highest number of vegetarians amongst the world's countries and thus has some of the best vegetarian food. An incredibly helpful resource for all cooks, vegetarian or not.
on December 9, 2013
Excellent book on vegetarian cooking. This book is like an encyclopedia of world vegetarian dishes.

Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks are always excellent as she leaves out no details. This is a well thought out book.

I have made many recipes out of this book with great success.