Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ $4.99 shipping
+ $4.94 shipping
Mae Ploy Thai Red Curry Paste - 14 ounce per jar
- Mae Ploy Thai Red Curry Paste
- 14 ounce per Jar
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
dried red chile, garlic, shallot, lemongrass, salt, galanga, shrimp paste, kaffir lime peel.
Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and different information than what is shown on our website. We recommend that you do not rely solely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. Please see our full disclaimer below.
Top Customer Reviews
The other reason we love Mae Ploy brand so much is because it's the only brand available here locally that has NO MSG, NO PRESERVATIVES. Thank GOD for Mae Ploy !!!
I love the TASTY HEAT that this product puts into my curry dishes. It is versatile, as I have used it to make beef, chicken, and pork curry (haven't tried to make seafood yet, but soon). This is so much cheaper (per ounce) and tastier than the impotent crap that they put in small fancy glass jars that they overprice and try to pass off as a great product. These companies (can you say Thai Kitchen) that manufacture those imitations probably survive here because most people don't know that they can buy MAE PLOY which is 100 times better. Not only is Mae Ploy tastier, it is also so much cheaper to make sauce with. All you have to do is add coconut milk (less than $1 for 14 a oz can) and/or a little fish sauce(not for me) to match (actually overmatch) the mix that the imitators sell. I also love the fact that I can vary the potency of my sauce because it is not pre-mixed with coconut milk. I once purchased a unauthentic crappy product out of desperation when I first returned to the U.S. in 2007. I used the whole jar (11 1/2 oz) and payed about $5. It was so weak and flavorless. That will never happen again as I keep it well stocked. One jar of this lasts me about 4-5 large curry meals (I always make enough for leftovers as I use two or three cans of coconut cream). So if you make a smaller amount it could last you 8-10 meals. They even make a 35 oz size of Mae Ploy that you can find (google it). Just make sure that you seal up the plastic well before using again (I also refrigerate it after opening).Read more ›
This is authentic as it gets, as this is a pure product of Thailand. All I can say is: Aroi, mak mak kcc! (Thai for "very very delicious")
Here are my cooking directions, made nice and simple for cooking-illiterate people like myself:
1) put 1 tbsp of cooking oil in a pot and turn to medium heat. Might want to start the rice at this time as well. I just used normal white rice using a rice cooker.
2) throw in 2 tbsp of the curry spices for about 30 seconds and make them sizzle (this is for medium heat. I started out with 1 tbsp and it didn't have enough kick. I would have used 3, but my girlfriend doesn't like it too hot)
3) add a can of coconut milk. I used regular (not lite) milk. Also add some fish sauce (this is optional. I only used it cause I happened to have some). This is a good time to test to see if its spicy enough for you and if you used enough fish sauce.
4) add veggies (i used bamboo shoots, mini corn cobs, and green pepper). cook for 5-10 minutes or until the veggies are as soft as you like them (less time for crispier veggies, more time for soft veggies)
5) add shrimp (i used frozen shrimp and cooked them for 5 minutes. You could add chicken if you prefer, just throw it in for about 15-20 minutes BEFORE adding the veggies)
6) devour in ecstacy
It not so much cooking, as much as it is putting a pot over a flame and throwing some stuff into it and stirring it occasionally.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Best recipe: 1+ Tablespoon of this curry (it's hot if you get too much so caution). 1 Tablespoon peanut butter. 2 cans of coconut milk. 2/3 cup water. 3 squirts of fish sauce. Read morePublished 9 days ago by Me
We use this frequently. You can add it on its own to coconut milk or dairy cream for a delicious sauce, or add other ingredients like turmeric, ginger, black mustard, spicy pepper,... Read morePublished 13 days ago by sac727
Delicious, delicious, delicious, and spicy. There is so much flavor in such a small serving size. A little goes a long way.Published 14 days ago by Amazon Customer
Excellent flavor. It's just paste in a non-resealable plastic bag in a paper carton, so you might need to transfer it to something more airtight once you open it.Published 15 days ago by Corolla Queen
Didn't realize this had shrimp in it - not an option for my vegan menu.Published 1 month ago by Phyllis Euler