Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 128 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 132 reviews
on January 13, 2010
I purchased the Magellan Beanbag Mount to securely hold my new Magellan 1475T to the dash of my car. First off, as mentioned in other reviews, this mount is not effective in cars with a curved dashboard since the base is rigid and won't conform to the dash. In reality, the name of the product is misleading since it is not a beanbag in any way shape or form. Amazon should quickly remove the term beanbag from the name of the product and from the product description. It is a rigid friction-based dashboard mount that requires the dash to be relatively flat. There is an attachment provided with the kit that can be adhesively attached to your dashboard and actually hooks to the back of the mount to prevent it from sliding around or falling off the front of the dashboard, but I would still be hesitant to purchase this if your car has an overly curved dashboard. I also don't like the thought of attaching anything to the dash which is why I considered the beanbag mount to begin with. While this mount works in my new Subaru Outback (which has a flat surface at the center of the dash), it doesn't work so well in my older Acura TL which has a curved dashboard.

Using the beanbag mount in the Outback, I am able to position the GPS on the dash at a good viewing level (doesn't interfere with my view out the front window at all) and within comfortable arms reach (I know, I know - you're not supposed to be using it while driving so it shouldn't make a difference). Basically, you just suction the window mount that came with the GPS to the smooth plastic surface of the mount and place it on your dash. The mount is heavy enough to stay in place while driving and convenient enough to store in the center console when not in use.

Unfortunately, I did have one problem. The first unit shipped to me had a slight discoloration in several places on the mounting surface (that I initially didn't notice) which I am assuming was glue that dried to the plastic mounting surface during the manufacturing process. This defect prevented the GPS Unit from securely suctioning to the mount which resulted in the GPS unit coming loose after a few minutes and flying from the dash. Fortunately, no one was in the passenger seat at the time and, more importantly, there was no damage to my GPS. Thankfully, Amazon came through and immediately sent out a replacement (it's good to know that at least one company still provides a solid level of customer service).

If you have a car with a relatively flat dashboard and want the convenience of mounting your GPS to the dashboard, this could be a good alternative. However, I'm sure the other "real" beanbag mounts would work just as well (if not better) and provide much more flexibility when placing them on the dashboard of any car.

As an aside, this mount looks very similar to the Arkon CM012 sold by Amazon for less than half the price of the Magellan. Sure, if you look at the pictures of the Magellan and the Arkon on-line, you would clearly see that although both mounts look somewhat similar the mounting surfaces are clearly different. However, when I received the Magellan Beanbag Mount, the mounting surface looked exactly like the one pictured for the Arkon and not the one pictured for the Magellan. This initially made me think that Amazon sent me the wrong one by accident because the Magellan name wasn't anywhere on the product. However, I did finally see the Magellan name on a small piece of literature that came in the box with the mount. If I had to guess, it is manufactured by the same company and then sold under the Magellan name. So if you are interested in this mount, you may want to check out the Arkon CM012 first.
22 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2017
Works great. The last one I had was a soft bean bag and would conform to any part of the dashboard/console etc. This one has a rigid platform that fits a flat space on my dashboard. It hold the GPS stable and looks good. The extra weight helps the non-skid base hold it in position. If you don't have a flat space to put it on, it may not work as well as it does for me.
on August 19, 2014
As promised. We like to stow our GPS unit out of sight when we are away from the car. The windshield mount that comes with the unit makes it difficult to attach and detach the unit easily. We also had the problem of the mount releasing because of temperature changes. This beanbag mount solves all that. It is properly weighted to stay in place on the dash while in use, and easily stowed as one piece with the GPS when necessary.
on September 1, 2017
ok
on August 2, 2017
It made the GPS set up too high and it kept falling over (top heavy)
on October 20, 2013
I bought a 7-inch Magellan from Amazon that refused to stay on the dashboard with the thing it came with and used to fall while driving, this so far has prevented that and holds it in place, whether it works in the summer heat I do not know.
on November 24, 2010
I bought this because it was shown as often bought with the Magellan RoadMate I was ordering, so I figured it would be handy. When it came I wondered just what in the world I was supposed to do with it! It is very rigid, not a beanbag at all. The bottom is fairly rigid, too. It does work on the middle of my dash, in a Ford Focus. Not on the side of that dash hump thing though. So, unless you can try it, or easily return it, don't get one. Though, I will say, the Magellan itself will not stick to my dash (too bumpy?) without it. So, I do need it!
Someone commented that they couldn't get the suction cup to stick...I wonder if they didn't see the little lever in the back to push it down. I didn't at first.
on November 26, 2013
I gave it 4 stars because the window mount worked a lot better. But that may be due to the vehicle I've used it in. It doesn't have a pocket on the dash for it, and though it's designed to be anchored (anchor furnished), naw, just didn't care for it. Would I recommend it to anyone else, more then likely, if I had my explorer I would of used it, but in the 1/2 ton Silverado, it just didn't pan out.
on September 26, 2010
Purchased this item along with my new GPS unit just so I would have everything possibly needed. It seems to be a quality made device but I have yet to find a use for it as the GPS mounting device is much easier to use and adjust for viewing. I have tried both mounting options in multiple vehicles with the same result. The bean-bag mount still wants you to add a sticky mount hook to keep it in place. Probably a good idea as I could see the bean-bag in your lap or on the floor without it!
on July 24, 2017
It's OK...still bounces too much in motor home. I had to use Velcro to hold in place.