Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on January 13, 2010
I purchased the Magellan Beanbag Mount to securely hold my new Magellan 1475T to the dash of my car. First off, as mentioned in other reviews, this mount is not effective in cars with a curved dashboard since the base is rigid and won't conform to the dash. In reality, the name of the product is misleading since it is not a beanbag in any way shape or form. Amazon should quickly remove the term beanbag from the name of the product and from the product description. It is a rigid friction-based dashboard mount that requires the dash to be relatively flat. There is an attachment provided with the kit that can be adhesively attached to your dashboard and actually hooks to the back of the mount to prevent it from sliding around or falling off the front of the dashboard, but I would still be hesitant to purchase this if your car has an overly curved dashboard. I also don't like the thought of attaching anything to the dash which is why I considered the beanbag mount to begin with. While this mount works in my new Subaru Outback (which has a flat surface at the center of the dash), it doesn't work so well in my older Acura TL which has a curved dashboard.

Using the beanbag mount in the Outback, I am able to position the GPS on the dash at a good viewing level (doesn't interfere with my view out the front window at all) and within comfortable arms reach (I know, I know - you're not supposed to be using it while driving so it shouldn't make a difference). Basically, you just suction the window mount that came with the GPS to the smooth plastic surface of the mount and place it on your dash. The mount is heavy enough to stay in place while driving and convenient enough to store in the center console when not in use.

Unfortunately, I did have one problem. The first unit shipped to me had a slight discoloration in several places on the mounting surface (that I initially didn't notice) which I am assuming was glue that dried to the plastic mounting surface during the manufacturing process. This defect prevented the GPS Unit from securely suctioning to the mount which resulted in the GPS unit coming loose after a few minutes and flying from the dash. Fortunately, no one was in the passenger seat at the time and, more importantly, there was no damage to my GPS. Thankfully, Amazon came through and immediately sent out a replacement (it's good to know that at least one company still provides a solid level of customer service).

If you have a car with a relatively flat dashboard and want the convenience of mounting your GPS to the dashboard, this could be a good alternative. However, I'm sure the other "real" beanbag mounts would work just as well (if not better) and provide much more flexibility when placing them on the dashboard of any car.

As an aside, this mount looks very similar to the Arkon CM012 sold by Amazon for less than half the price of the Magellan. Sure, if you look at the pictures of the Magellan and the Arkon on-line, you would clearly see that although both mounts look somewhat similar the mounting surfaces are clearly different. However, when I received the Magellan Beanbag Mount, the mounting surface looked exactly like the one pictured for the Arkon and not the one pictured for the Magellan. This initially made me think that Amazon sent me the wrong one by accident because the Magellan name wasn't anywhere on the product. However, I did finally see the Magellan name on a small piece of literature that came in the box with the mount. If I had to guess, it is manufactured by the same company and then sold under the Magellan name. So if you are interested in this mount, you may want to check out the Arkon CM012 first.
22 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
First of all, this is not a beanbag in the true sense. This is as solid as the rock of Gibraltor. If you have a dashboard that is perfectly flat then this can work ideally. In my case, my dashboard has an indented area exactly where the GPS would be located. This area is smaller than the size of the alleged "Beanbag". However, the dash is not smooth so clamping the mount directly to the dash is not an option. I clamp the GPS holder to the so-called beanbag which I then place over the indented area of the dash. This is not the best solution but I don't like having the GPS mounted to my window.

I have taken away two stars because the Dashboard Beanbag Mount lacks beanbag flexibility.
on August 12, 2014
The Magellan AN0302SWXX Dashboard Beanbag Mount does not fit on the Magellan's 5400 Series model GPS. I didn't like this mount because it is not flexible to adjust to your dashboard. It might work on a straight flat dashboard. It's straight and hard on the bottom surface. It slides and don't grip. Don't waste your money buying it. Amazon price is a good price, but not flexible to adjust to oval shape dashboards. Magellan charges $21.more.
on November 24, 2010
I bought this because it was shown as often bought with the Magellan RoadMate I was ordering, so I figured it would be handy. When it came I wondered just what in the world I was supposed to do with it! It is very rigid, not a beanbag at all. The bottom is fairly rigid, too. It does work on the middle of my dash, in a Ford Focus. Not on the side of that dash hump thing though. So, unless you can try it, or easily return it, don't get one. Though, I will say, the Magellan itself will not stick to my dash (too bumpy?) without it. So, I do need it!
Someone commented that they couldn't get the suction cup to stick...I wonder if they didn't see the little lever in the back to push it down. I didn't at first.
on August 19, 2014
As promised. We like to stow our GPS unit out of sight when we are away from the car. The windshield mount that comes with the unit makes it difficult to attach and detach the unit easily. We also had the problem of the mount releasing because of temperature changes. This beanbag mount solves all that. It is properly weighted to stay in place on the dash while in use, and easily stowed as one piece with the GPS when necessary.
on November 26, 2013
I gave it 4 stars because the window mount worked a lot better. But that may be due to the vehicle I've used it in. It doesn't have a pocket on the dash for it, and though it's designed to be anchored (anchor furnished), naw, just didn't care for it. Would I recommend it to anyone else, more then likely, if I had my explorer I would of used it, but in the 1/2 ton Silverado, it just didn't pan out.
on January 26, 2018
Love this for my Magellan. It stays on the dash of my car and it doesn't move. I ordered a different name one for my husbands truck and it flew off the dash when I put on brakes.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 31, 2011
I had a problem using my magellan 1700 gps because of the severe angle of the dash and window. So I bought a different mount (very long) and that almost worked but this one worked much better due to lack of weight on one side (which basically means that it kept it from falling over). This solved my problem, I didn't even realize that a lot more options were available to me until I had the problem. My old gps was much smaller so there was no problem originally.
on May 20, 2010
We have used this mount a couple of times. It is heavy enough, so the unit does not slide around on the dash. The flatter the area the mount sits on, the better it works. Sometimes it's hard to find a flat place to sit the mount on the dash. The only complaint we have is the mount is really bulky. But, I imagine it has to be this way, so there is enough room inside the unit for material to be added, used to weight it down, so it won't move on the dash when operating the vehicle.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 27, 2011
This product works well and solves problems associated with other mounts. It does not leave a telltale ring on the windsheild. I had other problems with the window mount. Several times the suction failed and the GPS fell. I have the 7" Roadmate model and at times the window mount positioning was inadequete. I am very happy with this product. It has solved most of my problems with the GPS.