Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 209 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 299 reviews
on November 16, 2012
I gave this unit 4-Stars because the issue I have is that after you give this GPS unit an overnight full charge, the AC Adapter charge does not last very long on this unit. The AC Adapter you have to purchase it separate. I purchased one on Amazon.com (i.Trek CT-0505WU OEM Wall Home Charger AC Adapter with Extended 6 feet), which they have a better deal than the Magellan website. You should always carry your car charger with you, in case the battery goes down on this unit. The good points about this unit is it is one of the best GPS units that Magellan has produced that has such a reasonable price. The Model 5230T-LM is easy to setup and it gives great directions. This unit notifies you a couple of times right before you have to turn onto a street and gives you a landmark location (ex: gas station, drug store, dept store, etc.), if there is one ahead to help guide you to your destination. The 5-inch screen is great size. The displlay is very sharp and clear, and notifies you of traffic ahead. This unit comes with the Lifetime Maps & Traffic already installed on the unit. You go onto the Magellan website and check for the lastest Map updates for your model. Tech Support was very helpful when I needed assistance to setup my unit. You usually get 4 Map Updates a year at no charge. I love that there is no extra charge for theLifetime Map updates. That is a plus for me.
22 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2015
This GPS has a worse sense of direction than I do. I will be driving down the freeway and who knows where it thinks I am,but it tells me to make a U-turn or turn left, etc. Occasionally, it figures out where I am. Last night, I needed it to get to the freeway from a place I'd never been before. The thing thought I was somewhere else completely. I tried canceling and restarting the trip, setting my current location, turning it off and on. Good thing there was someone I could call who had Internet access and could be my navigator. When it does know where we are, its traffic alert and "better" routes could drive you up a wall. Too bad I just missed the return date. What a waste.
on June 10, 2015
I have been using this gps for almost a year and there are serious problems with it when trying to locate a specific address. First, it does NOT give adequate warning either visually or vocally when a turn is coming up and unless I can drive about 10 mph and stare out the window to see what is coming up, it's almost impossible not to overshoot and then have to find a place to turn around, Second, when the destination is reached, it says that I have arrived and the screen jumps to nothing, but it is incorrect at least 50% of the time. In VT, people are VERY BAD about posting house numbers and driveways can be hidden and/or long, especialI in the country. It is usually close, but close is not good enough.
Sad to say, I would not recommend it, and I do think because of its quirks, it is actually dangerous to use.
Review update 02.15.16. It actually stopped working around the middle of Jan when it was <10 mo. old. Magellan would not refund my money and sent me a "refurbished" one which I opened today. This one also does not work and the Magellan site that is supposed to update the maps, etc., can't find the device even though I downloaded the plug in that is to connect the two. There is no such thing as customer service at Magellan. They will do their best to get back to me in 48 hrs. Better to grind up your money in a garbage disposal than buy anything from Magellan. I'm filing a complaint with my consumer protection folks so perhaps it won't be so east for the co. to send bad merchandise to someone else!
on August 11, 2015
I like Magellan GPS (I've owned 3 and the original from 2009 still works but has outdated maps) but the one I got stopped working after 4 months. It couldn't be recognized by any of my computers to update the maps and now it doesn't turn on unless plugged in (the battery won't recharge) and when it does come on it shows the Magellan logo then immediately goes to a black screen with white/grey stripes {see photos}) I purchased the NEW unit in January 2015, it started malfunctioning in May (out side the return time frame for Amazon) and started communicating with Magellan. I am working with Magellan to replace this unit but it is a LONG drawn out process, AND they will not replace it with a new unit only a refurbished model.
review image review image
on May 21, 2015
I've had mixed results with this unit. It boots pretty quickly and has reasonable sensitivity for a resistive screen and big fingers. However it occasionally recommends ridiculous routes when I know better. This makes me wonder what extra turns it may be adding when I'm out of town and don't know better. Occasionally it gives conflicting directions. Example: it directs driver to make a right turn with audio and turn indicator across the top of the display when the map display clearly shows the route turning left and actual correct route is to the left. This kind of trickery can sabotage your trip to an appointment and quickly turns a 45 minute drive into 1:15. I think the unit is better than nothing or a paper map in unfamiliar territory because it will probably eventually get you there. The POI database is reasonable large and accurate.
on February 15, 2015
Holy (nope, not gonna type it) - this thing is a misery. Actually, since I bought two, they are a double misery. Oh, they will tell you exactly where they are, but the routing software had to be designed by the most heinous practical joker on the planet. These things do everything they can to absolutely drive me, and my drivers, insane. Map out a Tampa to Jacksonville trip online - on these things, you get a route over 150 round trip miles longer. If you own a trucking business, buy a bunch of these and give them to your competitors for Christmas... they should be out of business by Easter. They will be navigating me to the rifle range soon, and I can tell you this for sure - Rand McNally will be showing me the way back.
on March 19, 2015
After a careful research about it, this GPS performed well on my trips as commercial handicap driver here in Florida. It never failed me to my hectic routes and it just did exact locations to drop my passengers. Its whistles and bells helped me drive safely as it informs in advance what comes ahead. Plotting a route is fast and simple. The only thing missing is option to start with zip code but it didn't matter much as city and street are the main points. Address book is fantastic, comes complete with INFORMATION'S that I need. I'm fully satisfied using it.
on July 2, 2015
My Mac OS X system recognized that RoadMate when it was plugged in, Magellan's "Content Manager" couldn't find the device to update the GPS.

Magellan's support is only via chat and it appeared as if the had never seen a Mac.

The actual GPS display has a very clunky map compared to the Garmin that I was replacing because it broke.
on January 3, 2016
We've used Magellan GPS units for several years...now it was time to get them for our adult children. Wonderful Christmas gifts and I know they'll be used. Sometimes cell phone service can be sketchy while traveling...it's a good idea to have a reliable GPS unit to get you through. Recently traveled from Washington State - California - Reno - Vegas - Idaho, through some pretty turbulent thunder storms, extreme heat, etc ... and not once did we have any issues with our Magellan! However, in numerous areas, we were without cell phone service. Great product, plus great seller filling our order, makes a win win situation.
on December 27, 2014
This GPS has features we didn't have before, but it is so slow that we have passed the intersection before the display gets there. Also, it keeps telling us that there are red light cameras ahead after we have turned off the road. Sometimes letters take so long to enter that we press the letter again, then we finally get 2 or 3 letters and have to delete. When traveling without a programmed destination, the GPS often shows us in turn lanes that we are not in, then has to correct when we go thru the intersection.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.