Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 7 reviews
on January 26, 2011
I'm by no means a PHP programmer or such. After playing around with Magento somewhat haphazardly, I have become a little knowledgeable about the structure Magento, but never proficient about getting the exact results I want or know how exactly to complete all the steps so the database doesn't crash. In my circumstance, a programmer custom wrote our site and I wanted to "tweak" certain parts of the code. This book is written in very clear way to enable someone like me to do just that. I really like the section of the task labeled "How it Works". Usually programming books don't explain this part and being an engineer myself, when you tell me how it works, I understand all the logical steps much better.

I highly recommend this book for "tweakers" like myself or budding Magento programmers wanting to enhance their skills. There is enough meat in the book and it covers enough of the basics to advanced topics to make it a very useful resource.

I would also highly recommend the other Packt Publishing book by William Rice "Magento 1.3 Sales Tactics Cookbook". This book mainly focuses on how to "use" Mangento on the back end rather than programming to achieve more hits on your eCommerce Website and successfully get them to translate into actual sales.

CEO
[...]
on June 20, 2011
They don't tell you how to do anything in this book. I am a Zend Certified developer and develop in Magento daily, and the tips and techniques in this book are plain wrong. The modifications they supply come without any documentation, so they give you code that does something, but they don't tell you how or why it works. I would give it a 2-star for the code snippets alone, but there are typos in the book and most of them just involve directly overriding the core -- something that isn't allowed in an open source app like Magento. Just bad. Still waiting on a decent Magento book to come out for 1.4/5+.