Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on October 10, 2015
These, like many reviews of this product have stated, appear to be knock-offs. While they do work with the Magformer brand tiles, they are noticeably thinner and the magnets aren't as strong. My son doesn't seem bothered by the difference, but I'm annoyed. Would not purchase this product again. For the price, I want the real deal.
Picture shows the original Magformers on the left, the knock-off ones on the right.
review image
11 comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 12, 2013
I bought this for my 4 year old son but ended up returning it. We already have two sets of magformers that my son received for Christmas (Extreme FX set and Designer set)that he loves and they get played with every day in a variety of ways. Even my 21 month old enjoys them. I didn't think twice about ordering this product as I knew my son would like being able to make things and add wheels. However, when I opened the package I was immediately disappointed. The quality of the magformers are not the same, or anywhere close to the ones we already have. They could pass for a knock off brand. The pieces are more plasticky, lighter and cheap feeling. They don't clink together as well as the other magformers we have and they don't seem to have as strong of magnets. The gray edging that edges each piece also felt cheap and actually seemed to prevent the pieces from connecting like the others we have. The edges feel like silicone. I assume that the pieces are lighter because too much weight would collapse easily when trying to push it on wheels. I would suggest purchasing one of the other sets. We ended up returning this set because one of the rubber covers on one of the wheels was loose but honestly that made my decision to return it that much easier.
22 comments| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 15, 2015
I bought Magformers more than a year ago. Mainly for the eldest son (5 years old)
This is actually my first Magformers set so I can not compare it with other Magformers sets.
But I would like to note that this toy has become one of the favorite toys not only my son, but my daughter (2 years).
This year my children don't lost any !!! details on this set and retained package where each time put all its elements. (In the picture how it looks now)
I also noticed that this toy develops creativity and gives the opportunity to my child to become a true inventor.
I often join the game and get great pleasure to play with them.
As for the problems, as I said I did not have occasion to try different Magformers sets so I can not comment on the views of many people who wrote feedback about quality of elements of this Magformers set compare with other. But I noticed that price of the Magformers is not low.
As the conclusion today after a year of use of the toys I can recommend this toy.
review imagereview image
on February 11, 2013
Edit: So after having the product for 6 months now I thought I'd update this product.

So these are a bit different than the original magformers...and not in a good way. These magformers are thinner and seemingly cheaper than the originals. The magnets are encased in a cheaper-grade plastic (the original seems like polycarbonate?) and the magnets are longer/thinner. For whatever reason this makes the magnets not nearly as strong. With the original magformers, you can just throw them on top of each other for clean-up...not with these. The resulting structures are a bit less strong, and the toy consequently not quite as fun.

Still, worth buying I think. I wish I would have known this and I would have splurged for a more expensive set.

Magformers don't have blinking lights and don't talk to the children (both of which I quite appreciate). And are entertaining enough to keep the children occupied day after day (as opposed to most toys that are played with once or twice after opening). The created structures have a respectable amount of integrity (considering their build) and maintain it consistently (plastic pieces haven't bent yet and magnets naturally don't lose their charge).

I bought the kids the standard 30 piece set for Christmas. I highly recommend that one as you can build most every structure included in the manual with the 30 included pieces.

I purchased this set because it has 2 hexagons, which are needed for the more complex structures. I haven't seen many structures require more than 2 hexagons, so went with this one as opposed to the $140 set that has more hexagons.

Between the base set (about $30) and this set (about $35), we can build nearly every structure. The only pieces we don't have are the design pieces (non-equilateral, Isosceles triangles) and specialty pieces (like the Ferris wheel stand and the construction bits [like bulldozer head and whatnot]). To get the same/more buildability you'd have to buy the larger set ($150) and/or the construction set ($150) and/or the design set, though you'd arguably get more pieces that way.
0Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 29, 2016
This little kit was one of the big hits of Christmas. "Let's build my car. Can we build my car? Lets make a different car!" was heard for days until my 3 year old figured out how to build them on his own. Also I LOVE the directions the Magformers brands put in the boxes - they are an actual little booklet that you can save that shows you several configurations you can make with your pieces. Magnatiles give a one page idea sheet and that's it. I went into Christmas this year expecting to love Magnatiles and be hohum about Magformers and the Magformers really stole the show. The pieces are easier for a 3 year old to grab, the items he builds are strong enough to handle being carried from table to floor or vice versa as long as he isn't really rough, and there is decent piece variety but not so much he was overwhelmed.

If I had it to do over I would skip the Tegu blocks and the magnatiles and get only Magformers. I can't wait until his birthday to get him the giant ones!
on December 12, 2016
This is the fourth set that I have bought for my great- grand kids and they love them all. They especially wanted this set because they needed the hexagons. The sets are all different, but they all work together. I also bought extra wheels so they could make their projects mobile. Cleanup is easy, but I do have them keep these magnets separate from their other toys. My only disappointment is that magformers doesn't make extra pieces to purchase separately so they don't get so many of the same pieces by adding sets. That way we could buy more pieces and it would be more economical to the parents. See what you can do, Amazon.
on March 17, 2015
My stepson who is 8 likes to build. He has so many Legos, it is crazy. We are tired of legos! The problem with the specific legos that you buy to build one thing is that they only build that one thing. He loves playing with magnetic toys at my dads office. (bored lawyers sitting around a table on a break). I thought something with magnets for him to build would be a good idea. At first he just looked at it, but wasn't sure what to think of it. Then he started getting creative, making things I couldn't do. My eyes didn't see it. It allowed him to really create things with his mind, without losing small little Lego pieces! Plus it doubles as a cool car. Highly recommend to the parents who have kids who like to build.
on August 24, 2016
It has been a couple of years since we bought these. The kids have gone through phases of not caring about them and then times when they can't get enough of them. Our oldest likes to build little bombs and thrown them around to 'explode'. They've held up really well and are still a staple toy in our household.
on June 16, 2016
We have so many sets of magformers and LOVE them, EXCEPT for this addition.

These are cheaper and do not connect as well with the others; if you are building with this set and the others, you will always be able to tell where these magnets are because they poorly connect. These magnets are thinner and are not made as well as the others.

The biggest reason I'm giving this a one star review is because of a safety issue, the magnets have been falling out. This is very hazardous for little ones and I am surprised at the quality, especially for the price. I wish I could return this set, but I had no clue when I purchased it that the quality of the magnets would cause such a hazardous issue. I am constantly finding tiny little magnet pieces everywhere. For that reason alone, I wish magformers would take this product off the market.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on January 30, 2015
Great toy for my nephew and bought it on sale which was even better!!!! My nephew just turned 7 and at first he was unsure of this gadget as he just received "way cooler" items for his birthday. After a few minutes he kept going back to the Magformers and then once he figured out what to do with it, he played with it for hours! He loved that you could build all sorts of different shaped cars and then it was easy for him to take it all apart and do it again. My other nieces and nephews join in on the fun whenever he gets this out and they all seem to love creating different cars to play with. I'm thinking I should have bought more, especially when they were on sale.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.