Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on May 16, 2010
This book is a good technical overview of how each and all of the various features and functions operates for the Canon Rebel XSi. The camera does a lot so there is a lot to review in this book. I had to take it in small sections at a time - sometime just several pages a day. I would read/study then use the camera to see what the author was saying - turning what I had learned into actual use of the camera.

My only complaint is that in most of those cases where I as the novice operator of the camera needed to make a decision regarding a particular setting or adjustment, I often had no idea what setting to select even though the book had effectively covered what all of the choices meant and how to select.

I found that the "Dummy" book covering the XSi that I had purchased at the same time as this book was a better source for such information as the author of that book would recommend a certain setting or adjustment to use as a beginner and then change it later to suit personal taste.

The two books made good companions in learning this camera.
on April 7, 2009
I recently purchased this book on the recommendation of my photography professor. It goes into much greater detail than the manual and in addition to telling you how to do something, it gives you the reasoning behind doing so. I am still learning how to use my camera, and this book is a huge help at times where I would otherwise be lost. Because I am learning the reasons why I should set my camera a certain way, I am developing a good knowledge base on how my camera works and I remember things better than if I were just told to set 'x' to 'y' and be done with it.

The book also comes with a handy laminated "quick reference card" that can be kept in your camera bag if you don't want to carry the entire book with you.

I would give this book 5 stars if the images were in color.
on August 30, 2009
We are in agreement with reviews by Everardo, M. Alford and "Marianne", this book goes well beyond the manual that comes with the camera package. Although we have not read the entire book yet, we have learned some neat tips and tricks related to obtaining the best possible photos from our Canon Rebel XSi. Without the manual, we would not have released some of the powerful features and could have possibly blamed poor photos (in specific situations) on the camera itself. The camera is a tool, understanding the tool aids in the process of using it correctly and obtaining the desired results.

If you want to learn more about digital photography or even the proper way to use your digital camera, we encourage purchasing the Magic Lantern Guide for your respective camera. The guide is money well spent.
on December 7, 2014
Let me save words by saying this. It's better than the OEM manual, which comes with the cam.
on April 2, 2014
I've done year's of photography, black and white and color. Started with film and now the digital age. I learned on my own on how to work the film and the camera, The book is fine for what it is. My new Cannon manual was in "French" (go figure) so I bought this, because I have always believed in instruction manual/books and this dose the job..............Now go use your camera and find out how you like your pictures.
on September 13, 2015
Great product, great price & condition, great seller! Have been looking for a really good, thorough overview manual, that can serve as a technical reference, hands-on resource as well. Think I found it!
on June 2, 2013
Even though shipping took forever, it was well worth the wait. When I opened the package I was very surprised to see that the book was in like new shape. It was like buying it new from a bookstore at a fraction of the price. only have been reading the book for a day now but it seems this book goes well beyond the manual that comes with the camera package. Very happy!! A+
on December 2, 2014
A very comprehensive guide for buyers like me new to DLSR photography. There are far more in camera controls available in digital cameras than ever in film photography, and we're the better for it.
on December 18, 2009
This book was recommended to me by a friend who is a professional photographer. I have found it to be very helpful and clearly understood. Instead of reading it from cover to cover, I pick it up and browse, learning a lot of information for the process I am working with. It would be nice to have color photos included instead of black and white, but not necessary to understand the details. It's a great little book.
on August 17, 2016